Type 2 Newbie

Hi,

I was recently diagnosed with type II diabetes, in July actually.

I am really just getting my head around what food I can eat and should avoid.

As this will be my first Christmas since my diagnosis, I would really like to enjoy it without too many worries about food choices. I have purchased 'The Low-Carb Diabetes Cookbook', which I have found to amazing. I have not baked for many years, as I have always bought things off the shelf.

My mum was diabetic and always did her own baking especially at Christmas and she was amazing at it. Unfortunately, she lost her fight with pancreatic cancer 13 years ago and my dad threw all her cook books away because he had no need for them.

So, I guess I'm really asking for help with any recipe ideas that will get me through Christmas without feeling left out and that my husband and daughter would also love.

Thanks

Amanda x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I was recently diagnosed with type II diabetes, in July actually.

I am really just getting my head around what food I can eat and should avoid.

As this will be my first Christmas since my diagnosis, I would really like to enjoy it without too many worries about food choices. I have purchased 'The Low-Carb Diabetes Cookbook', which I have found to amazing. I have not baked for many years, as I have always bought things off the shelf.

My mum was diabetic and always did her own baking especially at Christmas and she was amazing at it. Unfortunately, she lost her fight with pancreatic cancer 13 years ago and my dad threw all her cook books away because he had no need for them.

So, I guess I'm really asking for help with any recipe ideas that will get me through Christmas without feeling left out and that my husband and daughter would also love.

Thanks

Amanda x

Hi there Amanda, and welcome to the forum.

There's an amazing amount of information on here, where various recipes or ideas are discussed, so have a good read around. This thread has provided me with so much information and inspiration from those more creative than me, so not a bad starting place: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-1638#post-2172950 I feel certain there'll be a lot of festive chat and food ideas soon there.

You could also have a look around the site's recipes area: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/recipes/

Good luck with it all.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. Full disclaimer Christmas day is the only day of the year I eat roast potatoes and looking forward to it.

Margo41

Hi Everone,
Diagnosed type 2 last Tuesday. Very confused upset and really don’t want go there.
The number was 49. 49 what. How will I know what my blood sugar is.
To be fair all my nurse has said is cut down no tablets yet.
I am 73 next week and I have so many health problems. All the things diabetes diagnosis threatens Like wildly changing blood pressure levels. Had hear attack 2016. Stent fitted.
I have got those anyway.
As well as, Very overactive thyroid had radio iodine right away. Dosage has never settled in the last five years. They put it up then down now they say it’s normal. Severe arthritis in hips spine neck and Asthma. Can’t have any elective surgery because I have had DVT and pulmonary embolism.
I do apologise to all those on insulin and medication.Mine seems trivial. I think the nurse realises I can’t cope with anything else. In fact I honestly feel there is no point.
Since last week I have changed my diet which was poor, lots of comfort food.
I have cut out all cakes biscuits and chocolate. That doesn’t bother me . It’s meals, no potatoes no white bread hate brown bread.
Yes, I am feeling sorry for myself.
Hope you all get on well and successfully with your journey.
As for me the pain of arthritis is so bad and all I am offered is opioid meds.
All the best to you all. I realise you may have guessed that I needed to write this down.
Thanks
Margo

sportyboston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Margo41,

Welcome to the forum and I wish you well on your journey. Just one thing, brown bread isn't great for you either. I follow a LCHF diet and do not eat bread - best for my BG levels. Good Luck!

MauzaM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Everone,
Diagnosed type 2 last Tuesday. Very confused upset and really don’t want go there.
The number was 49. 49 what. How will I know what my blood sugar is.
To be fair all my nurse has said is cut down no tablets yet.
I am 73 next week and I have so many health problems. All the things diabetes diagnosis threatens Like wildly changing blood pressure levels. Had hear attack 2016. Stent fitted.
I have got those anyway.
As well as, Very overactive thyroid had radio iodine right away. Dosage has never settled in the last five years. They put it up then down now they say it’s normal. Severe arthritis in hips spine neck and Asthma. Can’t have any elective surgery because I have had DVT and pulmonary embolism.
I do apologise to all those on insulin and medication.Mine seems trivial. I think the nurse realises I can’t cope with anything else. In fact I honestly feel there is no point.
Since last week I have changed my diet which was poor, lots of comfort food.
I have cut out all cakes biscuits and chocolate. That doesn’t bother me . It’s meals, no potatoes no white bread hate brown bread.
Yes, I am feeling sorry for myself.
Hope you all get on well and successfully with your journey.
As for me the pain of arthritis is so bad and all I am offered is opioid meds.
All the best to you all. I realise you may have guessed that I needed to write this down.
Thanks
Margo

MauzaM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello Margo. There is a brilliant book called Carbs and Cals which you can buy from Diabetes Uk or Amazon. You can see what the carbs count is for most popular foods. You can then weigh your carb portion and discover how many are in your meal. Also get into the habit of checking carb count on packaging when buying food.
Your diabetic nurse will advise to keep carbs low but not eliminate any. You can have potatoes and bread, even chocolate if it’s not got too much sugar, etc, just get into the habit of checking out your carbs. Don’t be tempted to buy diabetic foods, they are a waste of money. Life is always challenging but good luck.