What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262- I do hope that abscess is sorted out. I feel for you x. @Chook - touch wood the car is functioning but I still don't trust it. That was going on during my disaster months - car was in and out of garage for 5 months, came back from holiday to find 1/2 our bedroom ceiling on our bed, TV blew and so did the boiler. Everything replaced now though. Glad you escaped the flooding. Water damage is not fun. @Brunneria - I swore I'd put all my DGF in the freezer too. It is there but it took 5 days as it kept fighting me! @ianpspurs - tonight's result should cheer you. Good game. @Annb - let me know if you get set up on Copy me That and I'll add you to the circle.
Yesterday bed 6.3 FBG 6.6. It was my birthday but just a normal day with the school run which was wet and miserable. No. 2 grandson had asked me how old I'd be last week and like an elephant he never forgets! I was informed last week That's REALLY old! Yesterday going to school and coming back I was subjected to the 6 year old minion telling everyone at full volume - My Nana's 66 today! She was 65 yesterday but she's not now! At least he brightened the rain walking for loads of people.
B. TAG with ADOC. Managed to get into Aqua as a few went down with a bug.
L. Slice toasted LC bread with Philadelphia.
D. Air fried 4 thin lamb chops, roasted sprouts with balsamic glaze and the smaller celeriac chunks. DGF lemon drizzle with raspberries and cream.
And that was it. Too miserable out to do anything.
Very belated happy birthday - love the sound of your grandson. Slow motion train crash happening before my very eyes with so many references to Air fryers and Black Friday - I've seen this movie so many times yet I never learn. Lamb chops in an air fryer - sounds so innocent but it is always the hope that kills. I just know the end result will be an evening of profanities but this is like a moth to a flame.

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It doesn't make any sense!
Hug for the strife you are going through. Totally agree with the quoted part - I have absolutely no idea about any of this. Salute you for persevering, testing and posting again - it will come right for you I am sure.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@maglil55 -- Happy belated birthday, may the next year bring you many joyful hours with your loved ones (and of course low blood sugars).
@DJC3 -- Good luck on your blood tests, keeping my fingers crossed, but know you'll do great anyway.
@Chook -- Hugs for the frustratingly high blood sugar levels in spite of doing everything right. Hope it is just a matter of days until they settle a bit more.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Nothing

Around 4 p.m.: Last of the low-carb maqluba with full-fat yoghurt. Two small pieces of homemade low-carb brownie. One package (30g) of chicken cracklings.

Two glasses of wine throughout the evening.

Late night snack: Another package of chicken cracklings, a chicken wiener, a babybel cheese and 70g of shrimp.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb - I wonder if your thirst might be a symptom of higher BGs - and I know that fuzzy headedness is a symptom for me when my BGs go above 10 - big hug coming your way, I felt rubbish all the time when I was on insulin

My BG is higher than I would like but I don't think my thirst is because of my, admittedly, high BGs. I don't usually feel thirsty and have to check to make sure I have taken enough fluid on board so that I don't dehydrate again (having to take 2 diuretic pills to stop me retaining too much fluid in my legs doesn't help). I really do think it is all to do with this darned cold I've had for a couple of weeks now (not much in the way of symptoms and I thought I was going to get off lightly, but the last 2 or 3 days it has been raging, along with BG levels and thirst).

Today I made a hotpot with a couple of lamb chops, some sausages, onions, ONE carrot and some cannellini beans plus some stock from a gel pot. Pretty good meal for a cold, wet day. Bit high on the carbs with carrot, beans and sausages but I didn't have a huge portion and only 2 little bits of carrot, so it shouldn't be too bad. I have to go out this evening but will have no more than a cup of tea so that's my lot for the day. Feel like eating more but that won't get my BG down. Mind you, they do say "feed a cold and starve a fever..." I'll have to think about that.;)

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb hug for the cold and thirst, hope both resolve themselves soon. B (after exercise) water and tea. Mid morning a latte in Waitrose - "popped" in for Milky's Hallum (English Halloumi), left with pheasant, lamb, salmon and prosecco amongst other things - as you do. L = mussels in garlic butter, Hallum chips + 2 slices skinny bread and butter + tea. Evening = 2 hard boiled egg salad - smaller than usual - with chia and linseeds - water.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all

@maglil55 belated happy birthday.
@Chook hugs. Those readings really don’t make sense.
@ziggy_w just how many bags of chicken crackling did you buy?!
@ianpspurs I know the Waitrose effect all too well. Pop in for butter and eggs and emerge with most of the contents of the meat counter :D

Today’s food was breakfast of bacon eggs and cheese. Dinner was (look away @ianpspurs ) air fried Barnsley lamb chop with air fried Halloumi fries. Thermometer is coming in very handy.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.
@maglil55 I did laugh at your grandson happily telling everyone your age. Happy Belated birthday.
I’m another who hasn’t quite got round to putting my DGF treats into the freezer. My excuse is that the freezer’s full.
Water only fast until my HbA1c and lipid blood test at 11:10 I was very grumpy at the lack of coffee.
Lunch when I got home was tuna/mayo/avocado/ lettuce LoDough wrap. Choc fudge brownie (DGF) warmed with cream. ( and coffee)
Had my first appointment with personal trainer the GP social prescribing referral has put me in touch with. Very good. I activated my Freestyle Libre before going to see what would happen. Surprisingly bg didn’t really go up, but then it was quite high to start with so I’m very grateful. Seems to be dropping now.
Dinner: DD Philly Cheesesteak casserole. My goodness it’s rich!
Tea with almond milk for the rest of the evening.
@Chook don’t think it’s stopped raining for 24 days here! Good luck preparing for your blood tests after Christmas, I guess it shouldn’t really matter when it is but it still sort of does, doesn’t it? Your spiced chaffle sounds just the thing for Christmas.

Edit for typo

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w just how many bags of chicken crackling did you buy?!

Bought three boxes (3 x 10 packages @ 30g each) of the Habanero Chili flavor this time. They were out of the regular ones. I have really, really missed crunchy stuff for the last four years, so might be overdoing it just slightly.

Actually had a very nice conversation with the customer service representative before ordering this last lot. Wondered why they had stopped shipping to Germany. Was impressed by how dedicated they were to fixing the problem. Btw, they are also planning to come out with two new flavors around Xmas.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bought three boxes (3 x 10 pachages @ 30g each) of the Habanero Chili flavor this time. They were out of the regular ones. I have really, really missed crunchy stuff for the last four years, so might be overdoing it just slightly.

Actually had a very nice conversation with the customer service representative before ordering this last lot. Wondered why they had stopped shipping to Germany. Was impressed by how dedicated they were to fixing the problem. Btw, they also plan to come out with two new flavors around Xmas.

I loved the regular ones. All out of them now, so will look out for the new flavours. Thanks.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w and @Goonergal I was thinking of trying to make my own chicken crackling in the airfryer. I’ve got a whole chicken’s-worth of skin in the fridge - whenever I need chicken pieces for a recipe like tonight, I always buy a whole one and ask the butcher to skin and bone and dice it for me- I use the bones for stock but end up chucking the skin.
I wasn’t keen on the packs of crackling but I’ve learned to love fresh cooked crispy skin.
Has anyone else tried? @Brunneria maybe?

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w and @Goonergal I was thinking of trying to make my own chicken crackling in the airfryer. I’ve got a whole chicken’s-worth of skin in the fridge - whenever I need chicken pieces for a recipe like tonight, I always buy a whole one and ask the butcher to skin and bone and dice it for me- I use the bones for stock but end up chucking the skin.
I wasn’t keen on the packs of crackling but I’ve learned to love fresh cooked crispy skin.
Has anyone else tried? @Brunneria maybe?

Hi @DJC3,

Great idea -- it's absolutely delicious. I usually buy skin-on chicken breast and fry the skin in the pan. I liked it so much that I went to the butcher's to ask for chicken skin (without the meat). Unfortunately, they wanted me to take a minimum of 10kg of it -- a bit much, even for me.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: salted caramel phd bar and black coffee.
Dinner: chicken, coconut and lemongrass stir fry followed by SF jelly, cream and keto coconut granola.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: A bit of a dingo's breakfast as we had to do a quick trip to Rocky.
Dinner: A cold brisket and salad sandwich when we got home.
Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea no sugar, lotsa water.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DJC3,

Great idea -- it's absolutely delicious. I usually buy skin-on chicken breast and fry the skin in the pan. I liked it so much that I went to the butcher's to ask for chicken skin (without the meat). Unfortunately, they wanted me to take a minimum of 10kg of it -- a bit much, even for me.

Haha 10kg might be a little excessive!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@Quinn1066 and @Chook thank you for your good wishes, did wake up at about 3.30am but got back to sleep after about an hour. Best night sleep for a week.
Have bought chamomile tea, previously, but found it entirely unpalateable and eventually added the contents of the bags to the compost bin. Quinn, I do appreciate that you want to be helpful.:happy:
@maglil55 the cleaning blitz continues. Kitchen is done now, although less to do here, it was kept reasonably clean. Made a start on the other "bedroom" there is a bed. But also four extra mattresses making it a real Princess and the pea scenario. The bed is king size, in a small room which is the only available space for indoor storage. It is quite frankly a mess. Almost impossible to find anything as well. All our summer clothes have now been packed away in big boxes stored on top of the armoire.
27-11-19
Breakfast. Tea, scrambled eggs. 3 small vegetable patties. Coffee.
But of outside work, raking up leaves and twigs left from the tree felling last week. Very windy which actually helps.
Lunch. water. Sardines on toast. Half an Apple. Oops. That probably pushed the carbs up to 35g Tea.
More vigorous exercise outside raking up leaves, twigs etc from tree felling, got dark so abandoned that. Forgot to mention minor crisis - flood in the house. Several hours clearing up.
Few slices of cheese while preparing dinner- same as yesterday, rewarmed with fresh veg.
Far too much wine.
Couple of slices of cheese
Bedtime tea.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Where did today go to?
@ianpspurs ha ha very funny - yes I did make a good impression at the dentists! Lots of info given too about the long and expensive treatment ahead. Next stage though is the tooth extraction on the 9th after get back home with mum from her sisters funeral - going up to York’s for this next Thursday
@maglil55 happy belated birthday sorry I missed it but sounds like your grandson broadcast it to most of Scotland!
@DJC3 and @PenguinMum great you’ll get your hbaca1 sorted before Christmas good luck both.
@Chook like you mine will be next year after Christmas but we seem to have a long wait for blood tests at our gp at moment OH went today to book his December annual one expecting appointment next week but was given first available appointment in mid January! As I haven’t got my letter yet I may be waiting a while!
Breakfast a dental impression!
Lunch hm chicken soup
Dinner game casserole - slow cooked all day so very rich and tender- with cauliflower cheese followed by sf lemon and lime jelly with yoghurt and cream.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Quinn1066 and @Chook thank you for your good wishes, did wake up at about 3.30am but got back to sleep after about an hour. Best night sleep for a week.
Have bought chamomile tea, previously, but found it entirely unpalateable and eventually added the contents of the bags to the compost bin. Quinn, I do appreciate that you want to be helpful.:happy:
@maglil55 the cleaning blitz continues. Kitchen is done now, although less to do here, it was kept reasonably clean. Made a start on the other "bedroom" there is a bed. But also four extra mattresses making it a real Princess and the pea scenario. The bed is king size, in a small room which is the only available space for indoor storage. It is quite frankly a mess. Almost impossible to find anything as well. All our summer clothes have now been packed away in big boxes stored on top of the armoire.
27-11-19
Breakfast. Tea, scrambled eggs. 3 small vegetable patties. Coffee.
But of outside work, raking up leaves and twigs left from the tree felling last week. Very windy which actually helps.
Lunch. water. Sardines on toast. Half an Apple. Oops. That probably pushed the carbs up to 35g Tea.
More vigorous exercise outside raking up leaves, twigs etc from tree felling, got dark so abandoned that. Forgot to mention minor crisis - flood in the house. Several hours clearing up.
Few slices of cheese while preparing dinner- same as yesterday, rewarmed with fresh veg.
Far too much wine.
Couple of slices of cheese
Bedtime tea.
Hug for flood but you’re amazing how you keep going with masses of work getting your French dream house sorted amazing

Reactions: ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't you just love this weather - it hasn't stopped raining for 24 hours now. :mad:

@Brunneria - I gave up last night and binned the rest of my Lily O'Brian's chocolate discs - life is just too short to eat something that tastes that bad
@Annb - I wonder if your thirst might be a symptom of higher BGs - and I know that fuzzy headedness is a symptom for me when my BGs go above 10 - big hug coming your way, I felt rubbish all the time when I was on insulin
@DJC3 and @PenguinMum - maybe we should start a mini club for those doing all the right things but not getting the expected results :confused:
@DJC3 - Good luck with those tests - mine are due between Christmas and New Year (well, thats when I had last year's) - not the best time to be tested but when we try hard to lower carbs then that HbA1c is what it is
@SlimLizzy - I hope you got some good quality sleep last night - nothing worse than just lying there
@maglil55 - OMG, you've had a terrible time, fingers crossed the streak of bad luck is all over for you. Oh, and happy birthday for yesterday :)

Yesterday was a good example of my current BG problems - food for yesterday...

Monday bedtime test: 9.5
Tuesday FBG 8.6
Breakfast: Mozzarella chaffle (83g mozzarella and one egg) plus mixed spice then chaffled and topped with melted butter with two mugs of coffee (and a small glass of diet cola with my tablets - can't take them with a hot drink - they get stuck in my throat)
2 hours post breakfast: 13.6!!
Mid morning: Decaff coffee
Lunch: 8.6 - Small cheddar cheese salad and water
2 hours post lunch: 10.2
Dinner: 7.2 - Roast green veggies with halloumi
2 hours post dinner: 13.5
Bed time: 13.4
Drinks: coffee until lunch time then water

It doesn't make any sense!
Weird, weird BGs @Chook. Can't see any logical reason for it. How are your legs? Do you manage any walks with the pooches? I was surprised how much walking helped me but only so long as I don't overdo it and end up knackering my legs & back for a couple of days. It's so frustrating.
Must admit I hope my disaster phase is over too!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb hug for the cold and thirst, hope both resolve themselves soon. B (after exercise) water and tea. Mid morning a latte in Waitrose - "popped" in for Milky's Hallum (English Halloumi), left with pheasant, lamb, salmon and prosecco amongst other things - as you do. L = mussels in garlic butter, Hallum chips + 2 slices skinny bread and butter + tea. Evening = 2 hard boiled egg salad - smaller than usual - with chia and linseeds - water.

It's already easing, thanks, @ianpspurs. Not gone, but I can breath now relatively easily. It was just a cold, but it dropped down onto my chest very rapidly. Feeling pretty good at present. I usually do get over these little virus things pretty quickly - I'm very fortunate.

As I promised (myself), I didn't avail myself of cakes or biscuits when I went out this evening - just a cup of tea with a tiny drop of milk in it. I would have asked for more milk, but was reluctant to appear greedy!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah...@ianpspurs , the joy of air fried lamb chops! Fat renders down beautifully. They are quite delicious. @DJC3, I must also confess to being an Air Fried Chicken Skin person. Was it you @DCUKMod that first put me onto the wonder of air fried chicken skin? I always make a point of getting skin on drumsticks and thighs, a little salt on them but otherwise just chuck them in, nothing else, fry. They produce the most glorious crispy skin.
Many thanks for the birthday wishes. The little foghorn did indeed tell most of Scotland. What is it with little children that they have to shout things at the top of their voice? I still shudder at what my own son shouted at the top of his voice when little. We passed an elderly gentleman with a twisted face when he asked very loudly "Mum, did the wind change?".
It's still constant rain and a lot of fog this morning too. Bed 6.2 FBG 6.4. I'm staying pretty much stable which I'm happy with.
B. TAG with ADOC prior to usual school run in the rain and fog. Came back feeling a bit chesty with the damp but OK now.
L. Last slice of LC toast with lurpack and two scrambled eggs.
D. @PenguinMum - had another Iceland fishy dish Hubby has had but not me. It was the sea bass cooked en papillote. It's two sea bass on a bed of sliced onion, red and green peppers. There is some sliced potato there too. I did eat a couple of slices but left the rest. It does require more seasoning and benefited from a squeeze of lemon but I left it until after it was cooked as they had done the en papillote beautifully. Had a bit of DGF Millionaire shortbread later (some of it escaped from the
Hope the rain stops as I'll need to get shopping tomorrow and I have an Aqua class.

Edited by Mod attempting, and failing to sort out a tag.

Last edited by a moderator: