What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@DJC3 and @PenguinMum - maybe we should start a mini club for those doing all the right things but not getting the expected results :confused:

Yesterday was a good example of my current BG problems - food for yesterday...

Monday bedtime test: 9.5
Tuesday FBG 8.6
Breakfast: Mozzarella chaffle (83g mozzarella and one egg) plus mixed spice then chaffled and topped with melted butter with two mugs of coffee (and a small glass of diet cola with my tablets - can't take them with a hot drink - they get stuck in my throat)
2 hours post breakfast: 13.6!!
Mid morning: Decaff coffee
Lunch: 8.6 - Small cheddar cheese salad and water
2 hours post lunch: 10.2
Dinner: 7.2 - Roast green veggies with halloumi
2 hours post dinner: 13.5
Bed time: 13.4
Drinks: coffee until lunch time then water

It doesn't make any sense!

I'd join your mini club. Even with insulin my results are disappointing. Can't blame it on a virus all the time. You're right - it doesn't make sense and it is very frustrating when you have been trying so hard..

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah...@ianpspurs, the joy of air fried lamb chops! Fat renders down beautifully. They are quite delicious. @DJC3, I must also confess to being an Air Fried Chicken Skin person. Was it you .

Does anyone watch the Pioneer Woman on the Food Network? Some time ago I saw one of her programmes in which she was extolling the virtues of chicken skin. Can't remember if she did anything with it, other than shove it in the oven. I'll have to give it another go with the chicken I have in the fridge, waiting to be made into Maquba (is that the right spelling?).

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah...@ianpspurs , the joy of air fried lamb chops! Fat renders down beautifully. They are quite delicious. @DJC3, I must also confess to being an Air Fried Chicken Skin person. Was it you @DCUKMod that first put me onto the wonder of air fried chicken skin? I always make a point of getting skin on drumsticks and thighs, a little salt on them but otherwise just chuck them in, nothing else, fry. They produce the most glorious crispy skin.
Many thanks for the birthday wishes. The little foghorn did indeed tell most of Scotland. What is it with little children that they have to shout things at the top of their voice? I still shudder at what my own son shouted at the top of his voice when little. We passed an elderly gentleman with a twisted face when he asked very loudly "Mum, did the wind change?".
It's still constant rain and a lot of fog this morning too. Bed 6.2 FBG 6.4. I'm staying pretty much stable which I'm happy with.
B. TAG with ADOC prior to usual school run in the rain and fog. Came back feeling a bit chesty with the damp but OK now.
L. Last slice of LC toast with lurpack and two scrambled eggs.
D. @PenguinMum - had another Iceland fishy dish Hubby has had but not me. It was the sea bass cooked en papillote. It's two sea bass on a bed of sliced onion, red and green peppers. There is some sliced potato there too. I did eat a couple of slices but left the rest. It does require more seasoning and benefited from a squeeze of lemon but I left it until after it was cooked as they had done the en papillote beautifully. Had a bit of DGF Millionaire shortbread later (some of it escaped from the freezer).

Hope the rain stops as I'll need to get shopping tomorrow and I have an Aqua class.

Not sure if it was me, but I do rave about crispy. Chicken skin, although that pales into MrB's crackling.

When I went to the butcher last week, for the weekly haul, he didn't have any boneless leg of pork available, but the butcher suggested loin, plus separate skin, for cracking. Done.

As an experiment, MrB decided he'd use the airfryer to do the crackling. In the end it was a total of 20 minutes at 200c. Staggeringly successful

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Annb -- I believe there are different ways of spelling it -- but maquba seems to be one of them.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream (should probably start abbreviating too, how about TDDEWC?)

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with garlic mayonnaise and smoked salmon. A bowl of homemade beef-vegetable soup. A bag of chicken cracklings.

Dinner: A ground ribeye hamburger patty with two portabello mushrooms, cheddar, bresaola, one cherry tomato, an avocado and mayonnaise. About 20g of 88% chocolate. One and half glasses of dry red wine.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah...@ianpspurs , the joy of air fried lamb chops! Fat renders down beautifully. They are quite delicious. @DJC3, I must also confess to being an Air Fried Chicken Skin person. Was it you @DCUKMod that first put me onto the wonder of air fried chicken skin? I always make a point of getting skin on drumsticks and thighs, a little salt on them but otherwise just chuck them in, nothing else, fry. They produce the most glorious crispy skin.
Many thanks for the birthday wishes. The little foghorn did indeed tell most of Scotland. What is it with little children that they have to shout things at the top of their voice? I still shudder at what my own son shouted at the top of his voice when little. We passed an elderly gentleman with a twisted face when he asked very loudly "Mum, did the wind change?".
It's still constant rain and a lot of fog this morning too. Bed 6.2 FBG 6.4. I'm staying pretty much stable which I'm happy with.
B. TAG with ADOC prior to usual school run in the rain and fog. Came back feeling a bit chesty with the damp but OK now.
L. Last slice of LC toast with lurpack and two scrambled eggs.
D. @PenguinMum - had another Iceland fishy dish Hubby has had but not me. It was the sea bass cooked en papillote. It's two sea bass on a bed of sliced onion, red and green peppers. There is some sliced potato there too. I did eat a couple of slices but left the rest. It does require more seasoning and benefited from a squeeze of lemon but I left it until after it was cooked as they had done the en papillote beautifully. Had a bit of DGF Millionaire shortbread later (some of it escaped from the
Hope the rain stops as I'll need to get shopping tomorrow and I have an Aqua class.

Edited by Mod attempting, and failing to sort out a tag.

‘Did the wind change?’ Will keep me laughing all day.
Thanks for the chicken skin tips So no extra olive oil or anything, just seasoning- do you try to dry it a bit first?

Reactions: Chook and maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if it was me, but I do rave about crispy. Chicken skin, although that pales into MrB's crackling.

When I went to the butcher last week, for the weekly haul, he didn't have any boneless leg of pork available, but the butcher suggested loin, plus separate skin, for cracking. Done.

As an experiment, MrB decided he'd use the airfryer to do the crackling. In the end it was a total of 20 minutes at 200c. Staggeringly successful

Good idea to put crackling straight into the airfryer. I often have to shove in back in a hot oven for 10 mins or so after the meat is cooked to get it to crackle properly, then the kitchen fills with smoke.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Been busy making chicken liver pate to put with my experimental mini beef wellingtons, so have only had tea so far today. Not particularly hungry though.

I'd better make something soon, or I'll miss my chance because once Em comes in from school, we'll be playing games, or drawing, or somesuch and there will be no time for eating. I've got some cold sausages left over from yesterday, but I think it's too late to make bubble and squeak with them. Possibly just have the broth and some of the veg from the hotpot, also left over from yesterday, and that will do me, at least for a while. Might revisit that later, once Em has gone home.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good Afternoon

@ianpspurs - Is the Milky's Hallum any less salty than the normal halloumi? I love halloumi but it is often a bit too salty.
@DJC3 and @shelley262 - I haven't yet heard from my GP with an appointment - in fact I haven't had any contact with them at all since last December. I think they've forgotten about me. I'll wait until January before chasing them up for usual blood tests. I can't say I'm upset about it because last year I really think my annual appointment was with the tea girl. Basically she didn't know anything and couldn't do anything.
@DJC3 - The mixed spice / mozzarella chaffle is really lovely. I only experimented with it because I ran out of cinnamon. My favourite savoury one is a lovely pizza flavour with a bit of added tomato puree, oregano and garlic powder stirred in.
@SlimLizzy - I find a glass or two of wine gets me off to sleep but then I wake up a few hours later usually feeling anxious and thirsty. A while back I had some camomile and elderflower tea bags from a health food shop which were lovely but (typical of me) I can't remember where the health food shop was but they were much nicer than the plain camomile sort.
@maglil55 - Thanks for asking - my knees and hip are a lot worse. Mr C has forbidden me to go out of my own because the last time I did I fell over. I didn't hurt myself precisely (black eye) but I was very shaken and it was embarrassing having people offer to phone for ambulances and stuff. The dogs have a long walk each day with Mr C and I usually tag along for their second (slower and not so long) walk on the days Mr C has off. I love your stories about your grandsons - the youngest one sounds like my daughter at that age - she would always wait until we were on a full but silent tube train in the mornings before asking questions that made me blush and all the other passengers grin and sneak looks across to find out how or if I'd answer them.

I am now weighing all my food (boring) and keeping a food diary (even more boring) and I'm getting steadily more annoyed with myself. My husband is blaming the weather and my arthritis. Bless! I really don't want to go back on the insulin injections so the food diary is the lesser of the evils.

I can't go to my GP because he hates the low carb diet (called it a 'hippy dippy' diet) and the supporting staff (not sure if they are actually nurses) haven't got a clue about anything dietary except for the standard 50% carbs low fat low calories recommendation. :bigtears::banghead:

Wednesday 27th Nov.

Tues night bed: 13.4
Wed FBG: 8.3 (Yayy!)

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs and 1 halloumi 'burger' - 2.6g carbs - black coffee, diet cola with tablets,
2 hours after breakfast: 9.8

Lots of water

Lunch: 8.0
40g cheese, 5 cherry tomatoes, 5 slices cucumber - total 2.5g carbs
2 hours after lunch 6.8

Lots of water

Dinner: 6.9
3 Quorn fillets (1g each) Sprouts (7g) Cauliflower (3.5g) - total 13.5g
2 hours after dinner 8.7

More bloomin' water!

Bed time: 7.8

Total of carbs for the day 18.6g

Well.... the biggie for yesterday was the sprouts! :shifty:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Did a bit of baking today, which means snacking too so the proposed OMAD didn’t come to pass
CWC first thing
Late morning a melted Baby Bell ( tha last bag I got came with a little pot to melt them in the microwave - 30secs ) with a stick of celery - very stringy and stretchy. Good.
Later the 2 chicken wings and skin from yesterday’s chicken air fried. Yes @maglil55 and @DCUKMod it’s wonderful. I used to hate chicken skin.
3rd lunch some Dr Almond granola cookies - found a packet in my cupboard I’d forgotten about. They are not at all sweet, more like an oatcake or non- sweet Hobnob. About 15g strong cheddar with them. Very nice. Worked out at 1g carbs for 3 biscuits.
Finally dinner: DD Asian cabbage stir fry with wasabi mayo. A family favourite.
@SlimLizzy and @Chook I’ve also bought camomile tea and ended up chucking it out - it’s the smell, smells like compost to begin with.
Good for you @Chook back to weighing good and keeping a diary, it’s so easy to slip isn’t it? I have to reset quite often when I realise I’ve taken my eye off the ball. Hope it works for you and you can stay off the insulin.View attachment 36953
Edit to add photo

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
@DJC3 hows the first sensor going - has it settled? Love baking days especially if weather not good.
Spent more time at dentists today - but not for me today was for autistic eldest son who, we discovered today at his check up , needs a crown - but managed to delay further appts until January as it’s quite demanding getting him there and through the treatment - puts mine into perspective! With mum here soon would be difficult to juggle the caring demands to accommodate serious dental stuff for eldest as well as my own planned extraction on the 9th!
Breakfast one slice of bacon, egg and half a chaffle
Lunch hm chicken soup
Dinner slow cooked beef shin with braised celery,cauliflower, broccoli and sprouts followed by sf lemon and lime jelly with yoghurt and cream
Last day of antibiotics tomorrow and definitely helping - then just a week and a few days countdown to extraction of tooth plus the abscess!
Weather forecast good for the morning so hoping to try and get out for a walk while we can - seems ages since we did - with health and weather issues. Would imagine there will be lots of mud to wade through but well worth it crossing fingers.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook re the Hallum - http://www.milkys.co.uk/milkyshalum.asp - 2% versus 3% for most other. Today was an OMAD - tea, CWC in travel cup then .... hit John Lewis for Christmas shopping. Lots of toys and clothes for grandchildren and a Nespresso for Julie :banghead:100 free pods apparently (the Nespresso Advent Calendar not for our version so escaped that), didn't have any Exitable Edgar toys or the air fryer we wanted but did have the Channel No5 I actually went for (nicely wrapped and in a bag for under the tree - sent Julie looking for trainers I knew they didn't have) Food? 2 slices skinny bread toast with 30 gms cheddar in all + tblsp reduced sugar tommyK and almond milk cocoa. Bg was 3.8 when I tested before that food so good idea to let Julie drive home (didn't actually have any feeling of being low). Air fryer apparently now purchased from Very @ same price.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All

had a strawberry LC shake (experimental)as a kind of in-bed-pre-brekkie. Oh dear. Quite pleasant, but I was rewarded with a whey intolerance snuffly nose, yawning to the point of tears, and a stabbing headache/eyeache that lasted til mid afternoon!

What a ridiculous over reaction! No idea if that was caused by the brand, the time of drinking, or some other factor, but I won’t be in a hurry to repeat.

B: scram eggs and bacon halfway through dog walk.
L: half of (v small) rack of ribs, 6 chick wings and half a dozen chips.
S: a DGF millionaires. Too much cooling from erythritol :(

will need something before bed, but i don’t want a shake!
Maybe ham rollups?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All

had a strawberry LC shake (experimental)as a kind of in-bed-pre-brekkie. Oh dear. Quite pleasant, but I was rewarded with a whey intolerance snuffly nose, yawning to the point of tears, and a stabbing headache/eyeache that lasted til mid afternoon!

What a ridiculous over reaction! No idea if that was caused by the brand, the time of drinking, or some other factor, but I won’t be in a hurry to repeat.

B: scram eggs and bacon halfway through dog walk.
L: half of (v small) rack of ribs, 6 chick wings and half a dozen chips.
S: a DGF millionaires. Too much cooling from erythritol :(

will need something before bed, but i don’t want a shake!
Maybe ham rollups?
Hug for the reaction. I found the erythritol too harsh and someone else also posted the same - @DJC3? very disappointed.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@maglil55 the wind change comment made me chuckle too
@Chook sorry to hear about the hips and knees. I’m another getting back on the straight and narrow. Not in terms of carbs, but avoiding trigger foods that make me overeat
@shelley262 sorry about the dental woes
@Brunneria mikshake reaction sounds horrid. Hope it doesn’t linger.

Two meals again today. Breakfast was bacon and eggs (no cheese). Lunch was a group outing from work to a Turkish place. Mixed kebab no bread, rice or salad for me - 1 lamb cutlet, skewer of kofte, a bit of doner (a particularly delicious non-synthetic variety), a few cubes each of chicken shish and lamb shish.

Just had a 20g piece of Edam as feeling peckish. Didn’t quite hit the spot but a bit late to eat anything else.