IMG_2944.jpeg

Reactions: Energize

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have to say that’s one of my reservations too. I’m managing to control my type 2 without one and I don’t want to ‘deprive’, if that’s the word, a type 1 on any waiting list of the chance to improve their life.
No deprivation! We who are on prescriptions get priority. Personally if I had a functioning pancreas and was already low carb with no surprising prick test results or hba1cs then I might spend the money saved on the arm candy for a nice steak instead!

Reactions: Energize

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
20191128_190246.jpg
Re availabilty
Abbott posted a replacement one which arrived within a few days (prescription issued take priority over self purchased ones) when my prescription sensor fell off the other week after a hot tub session (err I mean less than 20 mins in the shower as they only replace free if it's been wet for less than 20 mins).They posted to the wrong address but sent another within a day or two.
When I ordered my repeat prescription ones the chemist said they would ring when they arrived as a longer wait for prescription ones at the moment.
Re night BG levels
I find the time I have my evening basal has a huge effect on my night time levels and my the dawn phenomenon
Re CGM libre sensors
These have been available in India for a long time now and when I asked the Abbott rep last December during a DAPHNE course she said it would be early 2020 when they will be available in the UK.
Re Phone or reader
I use both but find the gingerbread man on the hacked reader invaluable to see how much insulin I've got left working and for how long at any given time. Pity the phone app can't do that.

Last edited:

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
I've noticed recently difficulty in managing my levels, I think I'm producing less endogenous insulin. Sticks are imperfect - I decided to try FreeStyleLibre, self-funded if necessary. My GP surgery Rx Receptionist tells me that Wales NHS have not yet made up their mind on the issue [Typical!]. I was previously in Lambeth, no idea where they stand.
I got my 1st Libre Sensor box from Lloyds/Waitrose for £52.50, inc VAT deduction.They had plenty in stock. It talks to my Galaxy S8, no problem.
I've ordered another over Ebay.UK, for the same price, inc shipping.
An independent Pharmacist, in town, seems to be offering a great deal on sensors. I shall explore this and report
My first 24hrs on the Libre monitors has been brilliant - I am delighted. I see no future difficulty in managing my levels, more or less, within the 5.0 - 9.9 zone, thanks to this device.
As regards availability, I have been using testing strips, up to £28 per month, NHS funded, to achieve deteriorating control. Not cheap. The NHS should "encourage" Abbott to reduce their prices and make sensors mainstream.