Type 1 Alcoholic Beverages?!

Tee_Rockz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey T1D here , just wondering do I totally have to stop my life ? I like to occasionally drink here and there . I’ve heard that brown liquor has the least effect on my sugar levels , but I would love to hear from you family ? Do you guys have your little sips and if so what are they and how do they benefit? Would appreciate any answers .. thanks family !

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I chose to give up when I was diagnosed which I actually found very easy considering I'd been drinking at least 4 cans of lager and a bottle of fruity cider every night, it just wasn't worth the hassle to me, some find they need to bolus for it, others find they drop whilst asleep after consuming alcohol so need to take carbs on board without insulin after a night out, my team advised spirits with a diet mixer but making every 3rd or 4th a full sugar mixer to save me from dropping, I think after diagnosis I had about 5 cans lager spread over 2 months and thought I cant be bothered with this game anymore, I haven't touched alcohol coming up to 3 years in January and honestly feel so much better for it, cant even stand the smell of any of it anymore, you do what you feel is best for you though :) xx

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I drink more than I should, but I tried carefully in the beginning, tesing lots to see what happened.
You can easily look up the carbs for different drinks by using google, but pleas keep in mind alcohol may make you go low hours after drinking, when sound asleep.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find that red wine such as Chianti or Cabernet Sauvignon is ok, and I don't need carbs (unless I drink more than a couple of small glasses.) I used to be able to drink dry white wine but now I find it raises my blood sugar.
I enjoy brandy or G&T (sugar free T, obviously) or the occasional whisky too, but if I drink sprits, I do need to eat carbs before bed (slice of toast or pack of crisps). Everyone is different, so as usual it's a case of trial and error. You want to keep yourself safe, avoiding hypos, so eat carbs to see what happens. If you need them, you have to eat carbs with alcohol, if you don't, good - you miss out on the extra calories.

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
I’m t2 but enjoy a few vodka and diet cokes on my day off doesn’t seem to do any harm apart from maybe a slight hangover

Reactions: Tee_Rockz

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey T1D here , just wondering do I totally have to stop my life ? I like to occasionally drink here and there . I’ve heard that brown liquor has the least effect on my sugar levels , but I would love to hear from you family ? Do you guys have your little sips and if so what are they and how do they benefit? Would appreciate any answers .. thanks family !
I was never a big drinker pre diagnosis anyway.

But now, if I do drink, I just monitor super close. I have a libre which makes it super easy.

I find wine makes me go high and vodka makes me go low. But whatever I have drunk I always hypo in the night and so I set numerous alarms over the night to check.

To me, it’s a lot of effort so I keep drinking minimal!

Reactions: Tee_Rockz

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't given up drinking and i don't see why you can't provided you do it with people who are hypo aware and you recognise that you might get a low blood sugar (liver can't process the carbs you've eaten whilst it is dealing with the poison) followed by a high. So even if you have clear spirits or red wine, the alcohol still impacts on blood sugar and you may want to reduce your bolus at whatever meal is eaten within a couple of hours of drinking.
We type 1s need to relax a bit but you don't want to end up hypo or being mistaken for a drunk (this has happened) so be careful how much and with whom you drink!