Is it normal to be tired even when blood sugar is at normal levels?

somedude123

So I have type 1 diabetes currently in the holiday period which for some reason came after the diagnostic. I am always tired even if my blood sugar is at normal levels actually I am less tired when is high then when its normal. Is that normal for diabetes?

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So I have type 1 diabetes currently in the holiday period which for some reason came after the diagnostic. I am always tired even if my blood sugar is at normal levels actually I am less tired when is high then when its normal. Is that normal for diabetes?
Hi I was diagnosed with Type 1 LADA June 2018, I was exhausted most of the time. Are you on insulin? I was on Lantus and Metformin, then I was having too too many hypos as soon as it turned cold late autumn, so was just on Metformin and felt terrible for about 6 months. Then things got worse and hot weather came along so I started Levemir and the tiredness definitely eased off. I do also have Hashimotos disease, another autoimmune disease attacking thyroid so I am never sure which symptoms are caused by which problem. I wondered if I needed some background insulin earlier, but just guessing.

somedude123

No my doctor tried to put me on insulin but because of my holiday period in my diabetes even small amounts of insulin could put me in the very low blood sugar range. And no medication again the doctor decided against any medication because there is no point to it according to her if I can manage my glucose levels so well with the diet I am now an because of the holiday period I am experiencing.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
The problems is as a type 1, you need insulin. While at the beginning for some period of time you do make some insulin, you slowly don't. What led to your diagnosis probably would have been high blood sugars, which means you are already not making enough insulin.

To use the food/carbs you eat as fuel, you have to have insulin, that would be why you are tired. Some food is literally just going through you, you are probably even eating more food than you actually need because your body is trying to supply itself energy, But it is not succeeding until you have enough insulin to actually use it.

Even if you are low carb, your liver puts out glucose that can't be used properly, even if you are low carb, most people also need some insulin for protein and fats ( a lot lower ratio though). The tiredness should be helped after a few weeks of some insulin.

somedude123

I do not have an choice in the matter I was in the hospital for insulin administration for about 5 days so the doctor could prevent hypoglycemia and the doctor after 5 days of tests of how my body reacts to insulin decided to not put my on insulin. Its not much I can do here I tried to be administered on insulin but well no luck there. The doctor said I am in my holiday period and do not need one. Without her prescription I can not do much.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your body is under a lot of stress at the mo, sometimes you have enough insulin and other times not enough this fluctuation can cause tiredness but it's more likely and probable to be the fact you're eating to keep your BG under control whilst also not producing enough insulin to take up and use the energy from your food that you actually need.

according to her if I can manage my glucose levels so well with the diet

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do not have an choice in the matter I was in the hospital for insulin administration for about 5 days so the doctor could prevent hypoglycemia and the doctor after 5 days of tests of how my body reacts to insulin decided to not put my on insulin. Its not much I can do here I tried to be administered on insulin but well no luck there. The doctor said I am in my holiday period and do not need one. Without her prescription I can not do much.
Do you have a meter and strips to check your bg at home? In your position I would at least check and record my bg every morning while fasting on getting up. This would help you see quickly if the "holiday" or "honeymoon" period is ending. I find it useful to show my doctor a "month to a page" calendar with my fasting bgs marked for each day. I'm not sure where you are. If you are in the UK, we can give you useful info. on the choice of inexpensive meters and strips.

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I agree with @Alexandra100 get a meter! They are one of the most critical investments you will make. What country are you in? Lots of UK people here, I'm US, but there are Australian and various European countries people on the board that should be able to help you with getting the cheapest meters. Possibly some other countries floating around that could help. You start tracking your BG levels. You can use that information to helps yourself with eating but also to present to the doctor if needed.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If blood sugars have been high for a prolonged period then the body gets used to it and "doesn't like" normal blood sugars until it gets used to them again. It could just be this effect. In which case you may want to try to keep your BGs a little elevated and bring them down slowly over several days.

somedude123

If blood sugars have been high for a prolonged period then the body gets used to it and "doesn't like" normal blood sugars until it gets used to them again. It could just be this effect. In which case you may want to try to keep your BGs a little elevated and bring them down slowly over several days.

I think you are right as in a rare event where I was energetic I had 193 mg/dL blood sugar level. There is just an problem how would bring them down slowly or keeping them an little elevated. There not consistent even if I eat the same thing every day and keep the same routine. In some parts of the day are normal some way to normal like under 100 mf/dl some times there 150 some rare times over 190. They go over the place.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think you are right as in a rare event where I was energetic I had 193 mg/dL blood sugar level. There is just an problem how would bring them down slowly or keeping them an little elevated.

If this isn't reactive hypoglycæmia, it's something like it, and might benefit from the same treatments. It is generally good to reduce carbs in your diet. There are medications used to raise your blood sugar for treating reactive hypoglycæmia. Go and read about it. We have a forum section for it too.

However, I know someone who keeps his sugars up through a steady intake of chocolate ice cream. I don't mean that sarcastically. The fattiness of ice cream makes the sugar release gradually over a longer period.

There not consistent even if I eat the same thing every day and keep the same routine. In some parts of the day are normal some way to normal like under 100 mf/dl some times there 150 some rare times over 190. They go over the place.

Don't sweat it. My BGs go up and down between 110 and 230 randomly even if I eat the same thing every day. Type 1 diabetes is just like that for some people no matter how hard they try.