T1D Filmmaker Here. I made a short film about growing up with T1D

sweetyoyofilm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello my fellow T1Ds!

I'm new to this forum but I had something I wanted to share. I'm a filmmaker from Canada who was struggling to see T1D properly represented in film - or represented at all for that matter - so I decided to save up some money and make my own short that explores what it's like to be diagnosed at a young age. It's about a young girl and her mum who navigate the trials and tribulations of T1D. It played the film festival circuit but it was made for the T1D community so here it is!

It's called SWEET YOYO. I would love your thoughts, comments, critiques. It was made to open dialogue about this very subject.

Reactions: DunePlodder

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @sweetyoyofilm ,

Welcome to the forum.

I remember diabetes as a kid. Are syringes still issued to Ds these days?

Tell us a little more about you..? How old, when diagnosed?

There are some interesting influences in this film..
The actress portraying the mother gives it a little " film noir?" To the plot.
In places, it reminds me of a David Chroneberg movie with the pointed neurosis of the mum & somber bleak jazz soundtrack..
Then it all ends as it sort of started with the tadpoles? like Enid Blyton.. (Soundtrack choice again.) & "lashings of ginger beer."

Lol, my diagnosis was a little more like the "Sweeney," with my dad power sliding his old Rover 2000 round the mean streets of Bath UK to the local hospital..

sweetyoyofilm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Jaylee!

I was diagnosed when I was 12 years old. I've had Diabetes for 19 years now.

Yes, I could see the film noir influence you're referring to.
Thank you for the compliment re: Cronenberg. Definitely a director who left a lasting impression on me.

Precisely, it ends where it started. Some info on the music. The first track is The Water Goblin by Antonin Dvorak and the composition was inspired by a Poem in which a young girl is brought into the underworld. The allusions to Water I'm certain T1D know, water as a warning sign that you have a high blood sugar. But also, the song is a Rondo which means the song starts in the same way it ends. It makes a cyclical journey, like the film.

The final song is Golliwog's Cakewalk which was part of Claude DeBussy's Children's Corner. The "cakewalk" was the dance that suggested you had just won the cake! The scene is an allusion to the cake itself and the energy the children have resemble that of a dance. But also historically, golliwogs were dolls for children in the 19th century that are now considered very racist. So it speaks to the way time gives us perspective. Feeding children copious amounts of sugar might be considered "normal" in the 21st century, but I think it will be considered rather irresponsible in centuries to come.

Oh, I could only imagine your diagnosis! Sounds a bit scary! lol

Thank you for the attention you took in watching it :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jaylee!

I was diagnosed when I was 12 years old. I've had Diabetes for 19 years now.

Yes, I could see the film noir influence you're referring to.
Thank you for the compliment re: Cronenberg. Definitely a director who left a lasting impression on me.

Precisely, it ends where it started. Some info on the music. The first track is The Water Goblin by Antonin Dvorak and the composition was inspired by a Poem in which a young girl is brought into the underworld. The allusions to Water I'm certain T1D know, water as a warning sign that you have a high blood sugar. But also, the song is a Rondo which means the song starts in the same way it ends. It makes a cyclical journey, like the film.

The final song is Golliwog's Cakewalk which was part of Claude DeBussy's Children's Corner. The "cakewalk" was the dance that suggested you had just won the cake! The scene is an allusion to the cake itself and the energy the children have resemble that of a dance. But also historically, golliwogs were dolls for children in the 19th century that are now considered very racist. So it speaks to the way time gives us perspective. Feeding children copious amounts of sugar might be considered "normal" in the 21st century, but I think it will be considered rather irresponsible in centuries to come.

Oh, I could only imagine your diagnosis! Sounds a bit scary! lol

Thank you for the attention you took in watching it :)

Oddly, i am familiar with the music. Born in 1968. diagnosed on my 8th birthday.
My mum was a professional dancer, before settling down to family. (It's on her "iPod.")
You will have to forgive me. i felt the choice may have been used to avoid licensing infringement? :banghead:

Cake & sweets for kids at a party?
The "cocaine" of the food world.. There are worse temptations for young Ds as adulthood looms... The "cookie/fingerprick" scene with Yoyo's friend seemed to highlight the potential of that side of things as she explores independence & acertain "normality" . Then the "complaint" with the school calling her mum in.. Ouch.. (or call the cops later on?)

The only "close" moment i felt between the mum & daughter, was the swimming scene.. It may have been the acting chemistry else where?

I found your take on it all fascinating.. But then i'm a song writer. i've had some explaining to do too! ;)

Keep doing what you do.
I would agree that a diagnosis can change the family dynamics..
however, i felt a resentment in the portrayal of the "mom" in your film story, almost throughout?
Where as with my mum,,? it was more a betrayal on her part with which i forgave from the outset & gave voice to a little later on...
Hey! they only give birth to us & wish for the best.. the rest? just happens... :).

Reactions: sweetyoyofilm

sweetyoyofilm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oddly, i am familiar with the music. Born in 1968. diagnosed on my 8th birthday.
My mum was a professional dancer, before settling down to family. (It's on her "iPod.")
You will have to forgive me. i felt the choice may have been used to avoid licensing infringement? :banghead:

Cake & sweets for kids at a party?
The "cocaine" of the food world.. There are worse temptations for young Ds as adulthood looms... The "cookie/fingerprick" scene with Yoyo's friend seemed to highlight the potential of that side of things as she explores independence & acertain "normality" . Then the "complaint" with the school calling her mum in.. Ouch.. (or call the cops later on?)

The only "close" moment i felt between the mum & daughter, was the swimming scene.. It may have been the acting chemistry else where?

I found your take on it all fascinating.. But then i'm a song writer. i've had some explaining to do too! ;)

Keep doing what you do.
I would agree that a diagnosis can change the family dynamics..
however, i felt a resentment in the portrayal of the "mom" in your film story, almost throughout?
Where as with my mum,,? it was more a betrayal on her part with which i forgave from the outset & gave voice to a little later on...
Hey! they only give birth to us & wish for the best.. the rest? just happens... :).

Oh, cool. Well, music and film are very similar!

Lol truly the "cocaine" of the food world. I had some close-ups of powdered sugar that I ended up cutting from the final picture. Yes, Yoyo slowly evolves throughout the story, even if subtly.

No resentment whatsoever. I think she's doing the best she can with what's happening around her. It is what it is, you know? She's a tough mother that is adjusting as much as the young girl. It's not easy. I didn't want to portray some saccharine, false depiction of a mom that just goes with the flow and is all smiles. You know?

I appreciate the time you took into the story. Thank you for the support. I appreciate it!

D

Deleted member 308541

The final song is Golliwog's Cakewalk which was part of Claude DeBussy's Children's Corner. The "cakewalk" was the dance that suggested you had just won the cake! The scene is an allusion to the cake itself and the energy the children have resemble that of a dance. But also historically, golliwogs were dolls for children in the 19th century that are now considered very racist.
I still cannot understand why Golliwogs are racist, when you can buy black Barbie dolls.

We bought our grand daughter a male and female golliwog each from the pharmacy which is located in the private hospital down the road from us.

Here's Australian guitarist Tommy Emmanuel and is his interpretation of Golliwog's Cakewalk.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, cool. Well, music and film are very similar!

Lol truly the "cocaine" of the food world. I had some close-ups of powdered sugar that I ended up cutting from the final picture. Yes, Yoyo slowly evolves throughout the story, even if subtly.

No resentment whatsoever. I think she's doing the best she can with what's happening around her. It is what it is, you know? She's a tough mother that is adjusting as much as the young girl. It's not easy. I didn't want to portray some saccharine, false depiction of a mom that just goes with the flow and is all smiles. You know?

I appreciate the time you took into the story. Thank you for the support. I appreciate it!

Hey let's not forget authors of books?!

Shame about the "powdered sugar." It may have appealed to my more rock & roll rebellious side... ;)

& yes in the scene with the balloon blower at the party, mom seemed to let her (sensibly) grab a slice of "life" at the end..
I wouldn't disagree mom's deal with it how they can.. lol, it has to be a steep new "learning curve" on top of an embryonic stranger growing in the house?

At the end of the day, i'm a son of a T1 mom who now has her own condition. Alzheimer's. the "role & dynamics" changes..

"Am i doing the right thing?" I was 8 was it a quote by Aristotle? "Give me a child until he is 7 and I will show you the man."

I still cannot understand why Golliwogs are racist, when you can buy black Barbie dolls.

We bought our grand daughter a male and female golliwog each from the pharmacy which is located in the private hospital down the road from us.

Here's Australian guitarist Tommy Emmanuel and is his interpretation of Golliwog's Cakewalk.

The difference is a "stereotype"with the GW. (acronym used to be non offensive.) & a probably fair ( hopefully consulted.) representation with Barbie..? Barbie still maintains the perfect "manufactured" feminine image though.. That's Another issue.. ;)

Nice classical guitar work in the youtube link though..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just watched the video, interesting to say the least, so well done for your production.
Arduous. i'd say.. LOL, recently did a band promo vid cobbling together footage from the studio session for 3 minutes.& that was bad enough... :banghead:;):D(in a difficult sense.)

sweetyoyofilm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just watched the video, interesting to say the least, so well done for your production.

Thank you for watching Tipetoo!

Arduous. i'd say.. LOL, recently did a band promo vid cobbling together footage from the studio session for 3 minutes.& that was bad enough... :banghead:;):D(in a difficult sense.)

Definitely a labour of love!! But can't have the love without the labour part lol :banghead:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Times change and so does the perspective of society in general. The second half of the name is clearly now considered to be a pejorative term in it's own right.

The 'it was ok in the 70's ' argument doesn't really wash with younger folk.

Let's be mindful of how this discussion progresses.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I really enjoyed watching it! I loved the mother, I thought of her as an already stressed mother trying to do the best she can.
The only comment I have is maybe a little long at the introduction, maybe cut out the ice cream truck as it's not pertinent yet????
But I really did enjoy it!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thank you for sharing and for giving awareness to type 1 diabetes, it brought back some memories for me regarding my granddaughter's diagnosis ( different age and circumstances) and I could feel the mother's pain, upset and worry.

At school and not testing in front of her school friends, because of exposing her blood, then saying she could use the bathroom to test, that,I think, has put my sugar levels up :banghead::arghh:

Reactions: Marie 2

ashleyp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for sharing! Although I was diagnosed at the age of 21, it really made me appreciate it being able to live out my childhood "normally". Fantastic video production and structure from the start. Really well done!