What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Hi everyone I've been away as Im going through a very emotional time. It saddens me to say but My eldest sister passed away suddenly last Tuesday and its been a very emotional rollercoaster dealing with this and trying to still understand why it has happened as it was so sudden.

Then I found out that my GP who I've been seeing since 2011 is very unwell with acute myeloid leukemia.. and now I'm in hospital as I've been sick especially the last month and was admitted to hospital on Tuesday with a Flare up of my UC and also have a campylobacter infection which I believe is why I've been so sick the last month. And Because my GP is sick I've lost my support network he is a wonderful doctor but he will not be working for quite awhile. Ive had a emotional rollercoaster of emotions.

But out of all this there is sunshine my niece had a baby girl on Friday so we have been blessed with a new baby in the family. Its been quite an emotional time for my family and myself. Sadness and happinest all at once so im all over the place.

As i mentioned I'm in hospital at the moment as I've been sick especially the last month and was admitted to hospital on Tuesday with a Flare up of my UC and also have a campylobacter infection which I believe is why I've been so unwell. I'm on hydrocortisone infusions started prednisone as well antibiotics and upped my UC treatment. I'M eating but apparently the hospital staff goes crazy if you don't eat the sugary deserts bread and cerals im trying very hard and only eat tolerated protein vegies and also eating bananas doing this is keeping my Blood sugar levels ok Between 5 mmol/m and 8 mmol/m. As I'm tolerating eating the food at the moment. But Might be a bit higher in carbs but I think it is ok. Im just hoping I'm able to do this when I'm back home and the steoroids dont make me want to overeat foods as could be on them for a few months so looking for ideas to try stop me binging and as I have to prep its going to be harder for me.at least in hospital I can pick what to eat

My GI got a dietitian to see me yesterday in hospital and she was trying to convince me that I must eat every 4 hours because of T2D and my UC. And when I told her eating bread my BSL rises above 10 she goes mmm interesting like she didn't believe me!!

Any suggestions would be helpful if anyone has any tips thanks.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@annabell1 so sorry to hear your news. What a lot to hit you all at once. Sending a big hug. I have no experience of UC or the medication you’re on, so the only tip I can suggest is to remember that what and how often you eat is your choice. Very difficult when you’re limited by the hospital menu and under pressure from the staff. Is there anyone that can bring lower carb things in for you? I hope you find a way - any idea how long you’ll be in for?

JohnyT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Other
A plate to 200/300/700gr of cheese contains far more nutrition than, say, 700gr of cauliflower.
I think people’s appetites and nutritional needs vary hugely from person to person, with additional differences for age, sex, activity levels and metabolic rate.

Judging people’s food intake based on grammes is very unwise, especially on a thread where we are each posting what works for us.

Apologies if it sounded like i am judging someone.
I was just wondering if our stomach bag has capacity to intake or hold 700gm - 1kg food.
As my understanding was that in general stomach capacity is to hold around around 600 - 650gm when stretched and people feel full around 250-350gm. I agree the nutrition requirement, age, sex etc can make a difference.

Its always a new learning, so please dont take my questions as judging or in a negative way.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
@annabell1 so sorry to hear your news. What a lot to hit you all at once. Sending a big hug. I have no experience of UC or the medication you’re on, so the only tip I can suggest is to remember that what and how often you eat is your choice. Very difficult when you’re limited by the hospital menu and under pressure from the staff. Is there anyone that can bring lower carb things in for you? I hope you find a way - any idea how long you’ll be in for?
Hi @Goonergal thanks for you kind words it has been a lot to deal with but I'm trying to get there.

Luckily they put me on a "ward diet" in hospital (I refused diabetic diet and they listened) which means I can choose what I eat I'm trying to eat protein get butter and some vegetables but being on the cortisone I'm really trying not to overdo carbs without spiking my BSL. I've already have a few times but luckily my bsl only spiked to 8 mmo/l but if it goes higher I have to go on insulin and I'm also worried I'll put on weight....

unfortunately the closest families some are immune compromised although can only catch bug if touch me I dont want my mum to get it she is not very un well. And with the recent

I'm also in room on my own in hospital so don't pass on this infection I have as well to other's so no touching any one.... everyone who comes in wear gloves and wash their hands when they leave

My family dont really understand my way of eating low carbs..they believe the old diabetic diets sadly...

My main concern is about going home maybe Tuesday and with the high dose of steroids they are making me really really hungry so I'm hoping I can control myself without craving those foods when I'm home as I be doing the cooking lol....

JohnyT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Other
Getting back to topic
Breakfast : Virgin Mojito (Lemon Mint Water) with Cucumber noodles salad.
Spiralized_Cucumber_Noodle_Asian_Salad_fifteenspatulas_1.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@annabell1 what an awful time you’ve been having, I’m so sorry. Lovely news about your niece’s baby but apart from that it’s been horrible for you. Well done indeed for still trying to eat the best way you can under all this pressure.
I don’t know too much about UC but I imagine that limits what food you can eat quite a bit.
I was thinking the same as @Goonergal - if there was someone who could bring you food it might help. Could you have plain yoghurt for breakfast? Most hospitals only offer toast or cereal I know.
When you get out maybe batch cook and freeze in individual portions to help stop binging?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@annabell1

O love, what an awful time you are having. So sorry to hear about your sister. The shock and the grief and then discovering your doc is ill too. That won’t be helping your tummy and add the hospital food in...

have a huge hug.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Goonergal thanks for you kind words it has been a lot to deal with but I'm trying to get there.

Luckily they put me on a "ward diet" in hospital (I refused diabetic diet and they listened) which means I can choose what I eat I'm trying to eat protein get butter and some vegetables but being on the cortisone I'm really trying not to overdo carbs without spiking my BSL. I've already have a few times but luckily my bsl only spiked to 8 mmo/l but if it goes higher I have to go on insulin and I'm also worried I'll put on weight....

unfortunately the closest families some are immune compromised although can only catch bug if touch me I dont want my mum to get it she is not very un well. And with the recent

I'm also in room on my own in hospital so don't pass on this infection I have as well to other's so no touching any one.... everyone who comes in wear gloves and wash their hands when they leave

My family dont really understand my way of eating low carbs..they believe the old diabetic diets sadly...

My main concern is about going home maybe Tuesday and with the high dose of steroids they are making me really really hungry so I'm hoping I can control myself without craving those foods when I'm home as I be doing the cooking lol....
@annabell1 what a horrible time in your life generally without the difficulty of battling to maintain your preferred way of eating. What a strong lady you must be to cope with all this and still post here. Hugs, prayers and best wishes seem too feeble in your circumstances but all I have.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 30/11/19
Breakfast: Usual low carb porridge and 100g greek yoghurt
Snack: 0.5 cup almond milk, rest water with unsweetened cocoa powder.
Lunch: 160g baby cos lettuce, 20g light cheese, 66g tuna in springwater after draining.
Dinner: 191g roast chicken breast, 170g green beans, 250g cauliflower, 2XL eggs fried in 5g butter.
Was a good Saturday, said goodbye to my sister and new little niece before they traveled back home, and I now have a microwave, so meal prep will be a lot easier. I can ketofy (if that's a word) my mums savoury mince recipe, and freeze a big batch, should make late evenings far more easy and convenient.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@annabell1 so sorry to hear all your sad news and I really hope your own health improves soon and you can get away from the hospital catering. Lovely news about the new baby. Do take care of yourself when you do get home. Wishing you all the very best. X

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies if it sounded like i am judging someone.
I was just wondering if our stomach bag has capacity to intake or hold 700gm - 1kg food.
As my understanding was that in general stomach capacity is to hold around around 600 - 650gm when stretched and people feel full around 250-350gm. I agree the nutrition requirement, age, sex etc can make a difference.

Its always a new learning, so please dont take my questions as judging or in a negative way.

If you apply your theory, that would mean that 300gr (as the mid point of your suggestion), one could eat almost 8 slices of Hovis Wholemeal, as demonstrated here:

upload_2019-11-30_10-33-48.png

upload_2019-11-30_10-34-34.png

(Snips are from Sainsbury's website: https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/hovis-granary-bread--medium-800g)

Of course, that doesn't account for any fillings.

I'd urge you to forget about total plate weight, although if that helps you stay on track, then that's fine.

JohnyT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Other
If you apply your theory, that would mean that 300gr (as the mid point of your suggestion), one could eat almost 8 slices of Hovis Wholemeal, as demonstrated here:

View attachment 36972

View attachment 36973
(Snips are from Sainsbury's website: https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/hovis-granary-bread--medium-800g)

Of course, that doesn't account for any fillings.

I'd urge you to forget about total plate weight, although if that helps you stay on track, then that's fine.

Kind of yes, probably few can eat 8 slices without any fillings. But thats pushing on higher end.
I dont weigh my plate but its a general idea about food quantity that people might eat. Many airlines also follow similar counts to keep weight in check for inflight meals that has to be carried.

JLowth

Lunch yesterday: Liquid lunch at the club, biltong and beer.
Dinner: Spicy tinned corned beef hash with onions, mushrooms.
Breakfast: Omelette, bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, XXXX Gold beer, water.

Biltong?? You South African? Me too?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh, Annabel - what a horrid time you've been having.

My Father died exactly 30 years ago yesterday (much too young - still think of him every day). We knew that was coming, but on the day he passed away, his very best friend became a granddad for the first time. He just didn't know how to handle the whole turmoil of emotions.

Over time, we, all took comfort from seeing that bundle grow into a fine young woman making everyone proud. I hope your new niece will also bring you high spots to temper the sadness over time.

When you get home, if you're really hungry, maybe some bone broth, or if you can't face brewing that up for yourself, some Bovril or chicken stock could temper the pangs, whilst giving you something tasty?

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My son has now succumbed despite being a dedicated sous vide user (he has 3 of them now).
Haha I was trying to stay awake til midnight yesterday watching for it, in excitement for you!
I’m sure you’ll love it. There are quite a few people on the FB page who have several - I think they could become as addictive as jumpers!

Reactions: DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I spotted that too but my hunt was for a non kitchen item. @DCUKMod - I got one! The Bissell carpet machine was a deal of the day. Being delivered Monday.

Wow! Well done.

The extent of my Black Friday shopping was a gift, with a £10 upper limit for a Secret Santa.

Maybe I'm not well...................?

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My son has now succumbed despite being a dedicated sous vide user (he has 3 of them now).

One of the best things about the IP is how you can cook when you have time, and it'll wait for you until you're ready to eat it (aside from rice/pasta).

Next week, we have a day when MrB is scheduled to play golf during the day, then I have to be out for a few hours, over our usual evening mealtime.

As I usually cook on golf days, I reckon we might have a casserole (maybe the pork and chorizo thing I do), which I'll have at lunchtime, and he'll have when he feels like it in the evening. No more or less cooking for the spread out consumption window.

If you guys are Costco users, they're doing an exclusive IP model (probably exclusive for now), which has a SV function, as well as the usuals. It's £72, inc VAT, as I understand it.

These days, I'm not using the SV that much, although I must do another batch of ginnamon soon.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JLowth - This is probably a topic for a thread of it's own, but if you lost weight without tying, is your Doc looking into that at all?

If you'd like to discuss that further, our exchange can be moved to make a new thread for that, rather than deflect here, but of course, you're very welcome to continue to join in with this thread.