Prediabetes & NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, thank you for your answer, so must I eat a lot of meat, and what kinds of fats? I thought fatty food is bad for pre-diabetics??

my little bit below on what to eat and why. As prediabetic you may not need to take things to the same degree as those of us full blown but the premise of lchf still holds true to prevent it. High fat might just mean higher fat or not low fat rather than blocks of lard . It’s quite individual.

Can I suggest you take a good look at LCHF ie low carb higher fat (than typically recommended) methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It’s how an awful lot of us get our blood sugar levels under control and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and also reduce or improve complications. It is often the easiest and most sustainable form of weight loss for a type 2 if you need that. Other conditions often improve including but not limited to blood pressure, joint pain, inflammation, PCOS, and despite the dire warnings of the last few decades it improves cholesterol for most, yes improves cholesterol. Some jump right on it, others edge their toes in a bit at a time.

Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Excellent site and first port of call for many getting their head round low carb.

Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. It also helps keep an eye out that any meds are working appropriately not too much or too little. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Test before a meal and 2hrs later hoping for a rise of 2mmol or less. More and the carbs eaten were too many! Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON DIABETIC MEDS (other than metformin): if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds or insulin increasing meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc than your new carb intake requires. (This is not a concern for metformin on its own). Keep a very close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

Reactions: JLowth and Redshank

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you HSSS a lot to take in for a newbie just diagnosed lol! Please go gentle with me
Sorry didn’t mean to overload.

Just read a link at a time and digest it at your own pace. I’d start with the first two for an overview, then maybe diet doctor for practical ideas and charts showing carbs.

Reactions: JLowth

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I am very very new to being diagnosed “pre-diabetic. I have dropped from 11.968 stone to 7.401 stone within 15 months. Don’t want to lose anymore weight but can’t eat too many carbs or have too much sugar. So, what do I eat to pick up weight as I keep losing weight?

Eat protein (eg fish that looks like fish or meat that looks like meat along with eggs) along with the fat that naturally comes with it. Advoid low fat meat, eg have the skin if you eat checken.

Additionally make your body think it needs more muscles by doing activities like resistance training or HIIT that quickly pushed your muscles to their limit. Your body will then increase the muscle mass over the next few day, then you repeat, with a gap of between 3 days and a week between sessions. Also be active with daily short walks etc.

Reactions: jjraak and JLowth

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If the weightloss is unintentional then you ought to be back to the GP asking for more tests - just in case you need insulin.
I entirely agree with Resurgam on this. Go back to your doctor and ask for tests to be done as to why you are losing so much weight. Looking at another posting of yours as to what you'd eaten in a day, it appears that you are eating all the wrong things for someone who is prediabetic, though I can understand why you're doing this - to stop the weight loss. But do go to see your doctor and emphasise strongly how you are worried about the weight loss, and could more tests be done. When an answer is found I'm sure that many long term members of Diabetes.Co.Uk will willingly point you in the right direction regarding what to eat. Some have done so already.

My love and best wishes to you. I do have your interests at heart.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I entirely agree with Resurgam on this. Go back to your doctor and ask for tests to be done as to why you are losing so much weight. Looking at another posting of yours as to what you'd eaten in a day, it appears that you are eating all the wrong things for someone who is prediabetic, though I can understand why you're doing this - to stop the weight loss. But do go to see your doctor and emphasise strongly how you are worried about the weight loss, and could more tests be done. When an answer is found I'm sure that many long term members of Diabetes.Co.Uk will willingly point you in the right direction regarding what to eat. Some have done so already.

My love and best wishes to you. I do have your interests at heart.

Nice answer.

Did hear, though perhaps not too relevant to this

It's Carbs for the meter
Fats for the scales

So raise or reduce the carbs depending on meter scores
And raise or lower the fats, if the scales are too high or low.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice answer.

Did hear, though perhaps not too relevant to this

It's Carbs for the meter
Fats for the scales

So raise or reduce the carbs depending on meter scores
And raise or lower the fats, if the scales are too high or low.
Taking care of the carbs for insulin resistant/prediabetic/type 2 often (not always) will sort the scales out anyway, not unusually fats go up as carbs go down and still the weight goes down

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Taking care of the carbs for insulin resistant/prediabetic/type 2 often (not always) will sort the scales out anyway, not unusually fats go up as carbs go down and still the weight goes down

You are quite right, @HSSS
I had worded that badly.

I did of course mean, once all settled down to this way of eating, it is then a question of tweaking carbs down, or up to suit the meter.

And fats, if one, was concerned about too little or too much weight , until we arrive at an acceptable weight.

A rather simplistic method, that showed how to juggle this woe, to get best individual results, I'll admit, but the little 'adage' made sense to me.

Point nicely made, cheers.

Just to be clear, for the OP, I was agreeing, that a return visit to doctors certainly seemed the best idea.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Hello JLowth
Like you I am a slim prediabetic, who was losing too much weight. Have you looked at calorie content of your food? First day I checked was about 800. Obviously going to lose weight on that.
It's easy to get the idea of low carb, less so to replace them with protein or fat.
After decades of tea with semi-skimmed milk, now am having coffee with cream for breakfast, because I need more calories at the start of the day.
If you find your calorie intake is adequate, then definitely go back to your doctor.
Best wishes Liz

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello guys how bad is HbA1c 44
The use of 'bad' is not one I'd encourage - I was called a very bad diabetic at diagnosis, I'm a sensitive soul on the quiet.
An Hba1c of 44 is only just above normal, the top of which is 41. I started out at 91 so might seem a bit blase about 44, but just a few small adjustments really ought to restore normality.
I blame the modern diet and health/diet advice for pushing glucose sensitive people into full blown diabetes. When I think of the number of times I described my problems to doctors only to be mocked and insulted for several deadly sins.....

Reactions: JLowth

JLowth

The use of 'bad' is not one I'd encourage - I was called a very bad diabetic at diagnosis, I'm a sensitive soul on the quiet.
An Hba1c of 44 is only just above normal, the top of which is 41. I started out at 91 so might seem a bit blase about 44, but just a few small adjustments really ought to restore normality.
I blame the modern diet and health/diet advice for pushing glucose sensitive people into full blown diabetes. When I think of the number of times I described my problems to doctors only to be mocked and insulted for several deadly sins.....

Hello Resurgam, sorry for the word “bad”. Wow you started out at 91!! Omg!! Oh I blame the modern diet too. I always ate very healthy, going through a mental breakdown and can’t cook so eating a lot of ready made meals from Tesco urgghhh!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Resurgam, sorry for the word “bad”. Wow you started out at 91!! Omg!! Oh I blame the modern diet too. I always ate very healthy, going through a mental breakdown and can’t cook so eating a lot of ready made meals from Tesco urgghhh!
When diagnosed I'd been eating a diet supposed to lower cholesterol - the first thing on all the diet sheets I've been given over the years was always porridge or breakfast cereal, made with water or skimmed milk - I burned them all the day after diagnosis.
The term 'bad' -the way my doctor used it, was what got my hackles up - not your use of it.
So much of the language used around diet, health, weight etc. is so loaded, so judgemental and people use it because it is so normal to view things that way.
I find that eating low carb is actually simpler too cook for that all the faffing about with stodge. I never liked it even as a child.
I just remembered the row with my first mother in law when she wanted me to eat only bread and butter for breakfast - I'd have been about 19 or 20 then - I am 68 now. Odd how things pop up.