Protein In Breakfasts

maltham 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here are the two types of brekfast I do most :
a) Skyr (Icelandic yog - hi protein, 0 carb) 5 or 6 blueberries, half a grapefruit, a glass of Tesco redcurrent & raspberry juice (0 carb)
b) Egg, bacon, sausage, washed down with Tesco redcurrent & raspberry juice (0 carb)

Both fuel me up all morning until lunch so no need to have a mid morning snack.

I'm pre T2 (hba1c down from 97 to 47)and weigh 75kg, average 9,000 steps per day.

No pills.

It works for me
:happy:

Hope that helps you out.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Skyr (Icelandic yog - hi protein, 0 carb
Are you sure the Skyr yoghurt you have is 0 carbs? The lowest I have been able to find is 3.7g carbs per 100g. By contrast Total Greek 5% fat yoghurt has only 3g carbs per 100g. Not a huge difference, but it adds up if one is eating VLC. I can't find Tesco redcurrent & raspberry juice, but their Cranberry & raspberry juice has 4.4g carbs per 100g. Large eggs have 0.6g carbs per yolk and carb free sausages are a rarity. Even bacon often has added sugar. A half grapefruit comes to 5.5g carbs. So. if this breakfast suits you, you are in luck, but it isn't 0 carb.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am a gym instructor |PT and even for non-type 2s especially those trying to lose body fat, I would still advise some prioritising of protein and fat over carbs via whole foods (whey protein comes without all the fat that protein foods are usually packaged in and the best versions (isolates) are pricey) but nice for an occasional and convenient treat. I like Carb Killas.
Often don't feel like protein first thing though so tend to have a great lunch of it instead with coffee first thing possibly with some homemade almond butter (roast them with salt for 10 minutes then blitz in a food processor with a little coconut oil).
Otherwise I'd suggest coconut flour porridge made with coconut milk tinned plus 1 egg but this is more expensive than oats!
If you go for porridge make it with unsweetened almond milk and use whole oats. Add some nut butter on top for the protein part. Worth seeing what your bgs look like before and after your meal and workout to see if you are returning to the healthy range!

maltham 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sure the Skyr yoghurt you have is 0 carbs? The lowest I have been able to find is 3.7g carbs per 100g. By contrast Total Greek 5% fat yoghurt has only 3g carbs per 100g. Not a huge difference, but it adds up if one is eating VLC. I can't find Tesco redcurrent & raspberry juice, but their Cranberry & raspberry juice has 4.4g carbs per 100g. Large eggs have 0.6g carbs per yolk and carb free sausages are a rarity. Even bacon often has added sugar. A half grapefruit comes to 5.5g carbs. So. if this breakfast suits you, you are in luck, but it isn't 0 carb.

Apologies: Skyr is not zero carb but I find a relatively small portion (much less than the 1/3 pot suggested) does the trick. It is however high in protein which suits the requirement of some.

The Tesco Cranberry & Raspberry juice you need is the one with the "no added sugar" blue label at less than 1% carbs.

The bacon we buy is often locally sourced, with many advantages and not least no added sugar. Sausages are small and again low carb.

I didn't claim zero carb in my suggestions. I find a low carb breakfast as described does the trick for me. If you are exploring a zero carb meal it will not meet that requirement .

maltham 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
not sure what you want to reply on here.

if it is the juice then:
"Tesco No Added Sugar Cranberry Raspberry Juice Drink 1 Litre" should find it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
not sure what you want to reply on here.

if it is the juice then:
"Tesco No Added Sugar Cranberry Raspberry Juice Drink 1 Litre" should find it.

Hmm I wouldn't rely on that labelling.. cranberry, apple and raspberry juice.. only 1.3g of carbs per glass...looks dodgy does it not spike your blood sugar?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I swear by baked beans, third of a can, and one slicce of toast. Total 40 carbs, slow release and I can last til lunch....perhaps add slice if bacon or sausage if available. Yum yum, and coffee, if course!
Ah - that is more than a whole day's carbs for me - and I'd be way up in double figures on the meter - slow release? My insides obviously didn't get the memo about GI - and flour and legumes not only cause me to have a rapid, high spike, it goes on and on with higher readings going into the next day, so really bad news.

maltham 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"does it not spike your blood sugar?"Answer: No it does not..

The combo of all I eat for breakfast vs the carb level is good for me. In all a relatively low glyceamic load.

As for spikes I test frequently: the regime as explained works for me. I don't get spikes from what I consume, neither in the tests or in noticaeble effects (I have 2 years worth of detailed records - I know what works)

As noted above, again, It works for me.

If you don't like the labelling report to Tesco.

And stop bugging me. The OP was about a high protein requirement of which I beleive I have supplied some useful info.

Reactions: dazs

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Day in, day out, my breakfast is 2 eggs. I rotate: poached, scrambled, fried. So there's always a small amount of butter in there. It works - for me. Can't believe how well it suits me and wish I could develop as simple a routine for lunch and an evening meal!

Reactions: Alexandra100

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day in, day out, my breakfast is 2 eggs. I rotate: poached, scrambled, fried. So there's always a small amount of butter in there. It works - for me. Can't believe how well it suits me and wish I could develop as simple a routine for lunch and an evening meal!
Yes, it is amazing how versatile eggs are. My go-to is fried, in lots of best olive oil or free range chicken fat. Scrambled are delicious, but require concentration and skill to get just right, not to mention the horrible task of washing up the pan after. I am still experimenting with omelettes. Cheese omelette, obviously, and then I do wonder about a sweet omelette with Erythritol and maybe Hartley's 10cal jelly. Maybe I'll try that next.