"born again diabetic"

Raxerx

Hello to all ...have recently just signed up to this forum to gain some extra knowledge regarding type 1 , how it works, how it doesn't work and to hopefully create a better understanding of how I can put some methods into place on leading a healthier life with it by side.

29/m/ Sydney, Australia and have been co existing alongside with the 'betes for 18 years now. At first things seemed to run fairly well as far as I knew. Up until about 10 years ago was doing constant blood tests and even hand recording them in a diary. Things seemed to FEEL OK and quickly got outta the habit of testing and almost forgot I had type 1 alongside doing my insulin shots twice a day. Was still eating whatever / whenever and from keeping up good habits I was almost sick of keeping the routine and had enough of having type 1. Put myself on long service leave so to speak and stopped testing. After recently starting to do a test here and there I noticed my estimation and 6th sense wasn't so accurate on what my readings actually are. I want to get myself back on a better track and feel like I need to learn all the basics from the beginning all over again . As being diagnosed age 11 I feel it was a difficult age to learn / understand how to co exist alongside it in a healthy way. My partner has been extremely helpful and encouraging along the way not to mention verrrry patient and cannot thank enough.
I am currently using novo rapid before brekkie and dinner 12 units and lantus before dinner 36 units. hba1c currently mid 8's. My levels are roller coasting all over the joint (potentially from extreme high carb in diet). Have since read an article on "compensating carbs with insulin" (thanks to partners research) and thinking is this a good place for me to start ? Feel like I am learning to read and write again ...which leads me to amateur hour question 1.

Is this ideology based off the select few who only shoot up when they eat or is it also taken into account after ones BASE dosage amount in the morning ??

CHAD

Reactions: VashtiB and Antje77

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello to all ...have recently just signed up to this forum to gain some extra knowledge regarding type 1 , how it works, how it doesn't work and to hopefully create a better understanding of how I can put some methods into place on leading a healthier life with it by side.

29/m/ Sydney, Australia and have been co existing alongside with the 'betes for 18 years now. At first things seemed to run fairly well as far as I knew. Up until about 10 years ago was doing constant blood tests and even hand recording them in a diary. Things seemed to FEEL OK and quickly got outta the habit of testing and almost forgot I had type 1 alongside doing my insulin shots twice a day. Was still eating whatever / whenever and from keeping up good habits I was almost sick of keeping the routine and had enough of having type 1. Put myself on long service leave so to speak and stopped testing. After recently starting to do a test here and there I noticed my estimation and 6th sense wasn't so accurate on what my readings actually are. I want to get myself back on a better track and feel like I need to learn all the basics from the beginning all over again . As being diagnosed age 11 I feel it was a difficult age to learn / understand how to co exist alongside it in a healthy way. My partner has been extremely helpful and encouraging along the way not to mention verrrry patient and cannot thank enough.
I am currently using novo rapid before brekkie and dinner 12 units and lantus before dinner 36 units. hba1c currently mid 8's. My levels are roller coasting all over the joint (potentially from extreme high carb in diet). Have since read an article on "compensating carbs with insulin" (thanks to partners research) and thinking is this a good place for me to start ? Feel like I am learning to read and write again ...which leads me to amateur hour question 1.

Is this ideology based off the select few who only shoot up when they eat or is it also taken into account after ones BASE dosage amount in the morning ??

CHAD

Welcome Chad, nice to meet a new antipodean. I'm guessing your partner is the lady who'd been asking us questions for the past week or so, I'm glad she's convinced you to come on board.

Research shows that participation in forums like this one strongly influences outcomes.

Your basal can usually cope with a small amount of carbs. For me it's around 7g which is a small biscuit. If your going back to basics then it might be a good idea to do 'basal testing'. Get this right and you'll likely find bolusing for meals is easier to do.

Basal testing basically involves fasting for a few hours after taking the shot and testing to see if your levels stay flat, and in the right zone during the fasting period. Basal is compensating for the continuous trickle of glucose that your liver is giving out to provide energy for your heart to pump and your brain to function etc.

For bolusing you need to work out what your insulin to carb ratio is. And then as you've highlighted above you need some idea how many carbs are in your meal. For total success you need to know that different carbs behave differently in the body but let's not over complicate things now.

I'm going to tag in few colleagues who will be glad to help you when they are around. @Jaylee @Antje77 @Diakat @Juicyj @Marie 2 @therower

There's a link somewhere for basal testing advice so I will try to find it.

Reactions: Juicyj

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Welcome Chad, nice to meet a new antipodean. I'm guessing your partner is the lady who'd been asking us questions for the past week or so, I'm glad she's convinced you to come on board.

Research shows that participation in forums like this one strongly influences outcomes.

Your basal can usually cope with a small amount of carbs. For me it's around 7g which is a small biscuit. If your going back to basics then it might be a good idea to do 'basal testing'. Get this right and you'll likely find bolusing for meals is easier to do.

Basal testing basically involves fasting for a few hours after taking the shot and testing to see if your levels stay flat, and in the right zone during the fasting period. Basal is compensating for the continuous trickle of glucose that your liver is giving out to provide energy for your heart to pump and your brain to function etc.

For bolusing you need to work out what your insulin to carb ratio is. And then as you've highlighted above you need some idea how many carbs are in your meal. For total success you need to know that different carbs behave differently in the body but let's not over complicate things now.

I'm going to tag in few colleagues who will be glad to help you when they are around. @Jaylee @Antje77 @Diakat @Juicyj @Marie 2 @therower

There's a link somewhere for basal testing advice so I will try to find it.
Great minds Urb!

Reactions: urbanracer

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Raxerx nice to meet you and welcome the forum :)

No question is in the amateur hour context here, it's all relevant and important, so feel free to dig your heels in and ask away.

Have to say hats off though for wanting to grab the proverbial bull by the horns, there's no time like the present and there's a lot you can do to take control, I live by the philosophy of keeping t1 in control as much as possible so it doesn't impact my life, it's always work in progress. As suggested basal testing is a great place to start, as it's the foundation to your control, also get a copy of 'think like a pancreas' written by a type 1, and of course ask away here :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @Raxerx! The good thing I like to say to anyone struggling to gain back control is pretty instantly everything can be changed. Meaning we have this wonderful tool of insulin and all you have to do is take the right amounts and you take back control and that can happen pretty quickly! You are right that the basics are probably the first place to begin and as everyone has said the best start would be a basal test and then start to carb count and adjusting and taking the right amount of insulin for what you eat.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hello @Raxerx and welcome to the forum. 49 years T1D here and had MANY ups and downs, gone thru periods where I couldn't give a monkeys about it......totally regretting those decisions now!
BUT you are now in the right place for any info, as @urbanracer has said basal testing is pretty much top priority at the mo for you.....get that basic tool right and the bolus will be pretty eay to work out. HHere in the UK we do a carb counting course (DAFNE) which enables you to adjust your bolus (novorapid) insulin to what carbs you are eating. I cant recall the name of the course in Oz but I do know they do a similar one
ANY questions, ask away.....someone will be along to help out

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi @Raxerx
Well done on hanging on in there and making it this far. Absolutely we can help you get on track.

First step is going to be a basal test to sort that out. Will give you a link when I dig it out!

Tagging some T1s to say hi - @Jaylee @urbanracer @porl69 @Robinredbreast

Hi there @Raxerx and a big welcome to the forum, I see you have had some friendly and supportive replies, which will help. Sometimes, life can be difficult, but with help and support we can get through it. So just take baby steps and you will get there, take care :)

Reactions: Diakat

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't help at all with the injected insulin - but I am a great advocate of low carb eating - as a type two, I just have zero problems ( sorry about that ) but at the age of 68 I am no longer a little old lady needing all my strength to get out of a chair.
Back in the day I used to be a roadie for a duo - I am still considered a good drummer, my guitar is acoustic, a Framus - but I play all sorts these days, for folk dancing - I know - but they pay me, what can you do?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

CHAD

Hi Chad,

Greetings, & welcome to the forum.

Looking at yer profile pic, it's great to see a fellow rocker here too!

Testing & logging BGs. These days there are some great free smartphone apps that can help with just that.
Some like "MySugr" have Bluetooth capability. So the test results get transferred & logged enabling to spot trends.

Then there is flash monitoring systems like the Freestyle Libre? You don't need a seperate scanner just a compatable phone with NFC.. There are loads on the market that can do the job. (You may well possess such a phone already.)

I've had T1 for 43 years. No time like right now to make the change. It's easy to get into a rut & let time slip by.

Keep asking the questions.

Raxerx

Thank you all for the very warm welcome and opening hospitality so far. At first I felt a bit "ummm and arrrr" about posting highlighting my ignoarace however I feel very comfortable to post away and ask a question here and there when in doubt.

@urbanracer YESS YESS that was her who led me here and very much feeling in safe hands here (and with her).
I have since conducted basal tests over the last couple of nights and have newly took the turn on taking my long acting lantus as a 50/50 split. Testing some hours after my last digested meal was 9.0 and testing this morning at 9.7. Still not the greatest of numbers but im happy to have a rough consistant number before going to sleep and waking up as oppesed to the massive fluctuation that would normally occur.

Next step on from here will be getting my bolus dosages in sync with what I'm planning on eating and expected lifestyle for the rest of the day. (insulin to carb ratio). Still miles to go on the quest on having everything controlled but I think I at least now have a better understanding on how things work a little clearer and what I need to do.
Will be sure to check back in and ask away need it be.

Thank you again @urbanracer @Diakat @Juicyj @Marie 2 @porl69 @Robinredbreast @Resurgam @Jaylee @Kat2105

Raxerx

also after testing about an hour ago coming in at 4.3 went to have a smallish snack to increase level a tad. Eating a medium size banana and no more than 100g of tasty cheese holding 0.5g of carbs per 100g. Roughly 50-60 min later tested coming in at 14. Any ideas on where this surge may have came from under these circumstances ?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
also after testing about an hour ago coming in at 4.3 went to have a smallish snack to increase level a tad. Eating a medium size banana and no more than 100g of tasty cheese holding 0.5g of carbs per 100g. Roughly 50-60 min later tested coming in at 14. Any ideas on where this surge may have came from under these circumstances ?

A medium sized banana gives about 20g of carbs - I'd need to 'jack up' (as I like to say) for that. Need to watch fruit, it's not 'free' for diabetics, but berries are generally the best. (Some folk here refer to grapes as sugar bombs).

Edited to add: @Raxerx there is a popular book available here and I assume you can get it down under. Carbs and Cals shows small, medium and large portions of many many foodstuffs and the nutrition content. I believe it's possible to get it as an app these days too but I haven't tried it.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for the very warm welcome and opening hospitality so far. At first I felt a bit "ummm and arrrr" about posting highlighting my ignoarace however I feel very comfortable to post away and ask a question here and there when in doubt.

Hi,

We all sometimes loose our way..
It's all about just keeping multiple "plates spinning." (Which is easier said than done.);)

There are good "gigs" & the notsogood..
There is only one way to understand about being in a "band." Unfortunately with the "Diabetic supergroup," we got no choice..

Keep testing & enquiring.. I'm sure you have the talent! :)

Last edited: