Metformin please can someone give me some positive news

Georgina73

Hi, I’ve been diagnosed since May with diabetes type 2 after having pancreatitis a year earlier and feeling pretty poorly since. I managed to lose 1 and a half stone by going low carb. My first appointment with the diabetic nurse I was 56 Ha1bc I got it down to 45 3 months later. Another 3 months later and another stone lost and still 45. She said as I’ve had pancreatitis then unfortunately I will have to go on metformin to control the blood sugars. I always have freezing cold hands and feet, not sure if anyone else has this problem. I started metformin 2 days ago but have read all the posts on here and was wondering if anyone has any positive stories about being on it. I understand for me it’s for life because of the pancreatitis.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
A 45 reading and Metformin? I'd be at least asking why though I do understand it might be beneficial for your condition. Best of luck

Last edited:

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I’ve been diagnosed since May with diabetes type 2 after having pancreatitis a year earlier and feeling pretty poorly since. I managed to lose 1 and a half stone by going low carb. My first appointment with the diabetic nurse I was 56 Ha1bc I got it down to 45 3 months later. Another 3 months later and another stone lost and still 45. She said as I’ve had pancreatitis then unfortunately I will have to go on metformin to control the blood sugars. I always have freezing cold hands and feet, not sure if anyone else has this problem. I started metformin 2 days ago but have read all the posts on here and was wondering if anyone has any positive stories about being on it. I understand for me it’s for life because of the pancreatitis.
I have been on Metformin for 3 years. When I started my brother who was also on it recommended that I take a good probiotic to avoid stomach upset. I took a multivitamin with a high level of probiotics and had no stomach problems. I have had no other effects except possibly a reduction in appetite. However a hospital consultant who also has T2 has told me that Metformin probably gives a measure of protection against heart disease and breast cancer. I’m sure I’ve also heard it can protect against bowel cancer but I can’t remember where I heard this. I certainly found this all quite positive news!

Reactions: Georgina73

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone even thought of testing your endogenous insulin production through a c-peptide test? or Fasting Insulin?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Georgina and welcome to the forum. Well done on your reduction in HbA1c and weight so far!
Thanks @Diakat for the tag, yes I’m on Metformin. I was diagnosed 2 and a half years ago and have been on it since diagnosis. For the first week to ten days I had an upset stomach but since those initial side effects I now tolerate it very well, no bad effects at all. It is important to build up the dose gradually, I started on one tablet per day for week one, then increasing by one tablet each week until total dose is reached, in my case 3 tablets per day. I use the standard release Metformin but others have found they tolerate the slow release ones better, so worth trying if you get side effects from the normal ones.
I also have found that they suppress my appetite a little so with low carbing and smaller portions I have lost a shed load of weight.
Metformin has other benefits too so despite my HbA1cs being at non diabetic levels for over two years now I am happy to continue on it. Here’s some info about it which you may find helpful:
https://www.everydayhealth.com/type...ts-why-they-likely-go-beyond-type-2-diabetes/
Also you may find our useful post for newbies even though you have already embarked on a low carb diet:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin here, @Georgina73 , last 14 months
Might have been lucky, but started slow as we all do, not had any adverse reaction.

Also one who could stop I guess, but stay on fur the added health benefits

Take the build up slow, and it might be ok.
I know some have issues, but never seen the break down on percentages... Might not be to bad for the majority, so the odds might be in your favour.

Best wishes.

D

Deleted member 308541

I started metformin 2 days ago but have read all the posts on here and was wondering if anyone has any positive stories about being on it. I understand for me it’s for life because of the pancreatitis.
I was on Metformin for 2½ years and I am now off of it. I had no problems with it when taking it, no scours or gut problems etc.

No cold hands or feet, shakes, or any of the other problems other T2 say when they take it.

I cannot comment on it being for life because of the pancreatitis, as I do not know if it is...

Reactions: Winnie-the-Pooh

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had cold hands and feet when my thyroid stopped working - lovely feeling when the Thyroxine supplement started to work - just like sitting in a warm bath.

Reactions: Winnie-the-Pooh

EggsEggsEggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spinach
I take 4 Metformin SR per day, two in the morning, two in the evening. I've eaten low carb since around 2013 and I started keto about 3 weeks ago. Recently, I read that Metformin has an interesting effect in suppressing mTOR which means that there's less inflammation and oxidative stress, so you are likely to live longer.

Metformin doesn't work well in combatting Dawn Phenomenon for me. What works better, is a couple of large dollops of 40% fat creme fraiche, right before bed. My stomach then either digests that during the night or realises it has food to digest first thing and doesn't need to churn out glycogen. That's my theory.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Over a decade on Metformin SR
Now on 4x500mg

I did have side effects on the normal, slow release is fine but I do need to supplement my folic acid

Reactions: Speedbird