What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Chook, the IPs were allegedly around, "while stock last", although, apparently the did blip back to full price for a little while yesterday. Maybe have a look tomorrow, in case they've saved some, or find some in a cupboard. :)

I will have a look but i love my battered old marmite jar shaped ceramic slow cooker and that would have to be thrown away to make space for anything new.

Unless i get rid of the toaster..... neither of us eat toast..... Hmmmm

Reactions: Goonergal

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Epic fail on the IP front.

Set in slow cooker mode to cook oxtail for 11 hours, per my usual method. Meat was very, very tough, so either it was a duff tail or - more likely - I got the setting wrong. Was ravenous as on OMAD so rustled up a carnivore pizza with a topping of pancetta. That at least was relatively quick and also tasty.

Will do some more research before embarking on tomorrow’s culinary adventure.

Did you keep the meat? If you did, I'd have locked the lid, and hit the "Meat" button, then leave it about 15 minutes after it finished to naturally release most of the pressure, and see how that went.

You'll get there.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you keep the meat? If you did, I'd have locked the lid, and hit the "Meat" button, then leave it about 15 minutes after it finished to naturally release most of the pressure, and see how that went.

You'll get there.

Thanks. To be honest I was so hungry I just focused on finding something suitable to eat! Thought slow cooking would be the easy option.

Edited to correct typo.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. To be honest I was so hungry I just focused on finding something suitable to eat! Though slow cooking would be the easy option.

I'd urge you to try something pressure cooked very soon, to break the wobble factor. I think everyone has that. Even if you do some bones for broth.

For anything meat related, it's usually best to do a slow release on the pressure as that helps ensure it's tender. As I've said before, my preference is to pressure cook, then leave on keep warm - even if that makes the same elapsed time, end to end.

@maglil55 , @Brunneria and the others may have some suggestions for you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal

i do oxtails on the Instant Pot ‘meat’ setting, 40 mins cooking, 20 mins slow release.
Just the meat, seasonings and 150 mls water.
The keep warm function works for 7 hours, so you can choose not to go back to it for 8 hrs if you like.

Of course you can do the onion, veg, worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, herbs and stock if you want, but... I love them plain.

then, if there is any jellied cartilage left after that, you can bone broth the skeletal remains with a dash of cider vinegar, if you want... i do that for 2 hours, then natural release til finished.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Staying with relatives for the next week, so the usual carnivore challenges apply - how to get enough meat/fish/eggs/cheese + fat, when everyone else is having one lamb chop and 3/4 of the plate as veg...

however, having learned from experience, I have a good stash of carni friendly snacks in my luggage. :D

today:
b: sausage and scram eggs
L: 1.5 plain naked macdonalds quarterpound burgers while on the long motorway trek from N to S. The other 0.5 divided between 3 slavering hounds.
D: will be small portion of roast lamb, followed by some of my stash.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Ostensibly an OMAD+ but off piste slightly. Cocoa ( almond milk, lc cocoa powder) + tea for breakfast after exercise - to try the aeroccino - favourable review. Did eat the first windows from cheese and snaffling pig advent calendars around 13.00 hrs. CWC mid afternoon - trying out Nespresso. Evening was lamb shoulder shank cooked in bought onion gravy (no prizes for guessing the source) and mushrooms with celeriac Daupinoise. The gravy was 4% carb but we really can't make something I like as much and I'm too old to keep eating sub optimal hot food and pretending its fine. Probably too many carbs and cals in one meal but.........

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Toasted cheese and ham sandwiches.
Dinner: Marinated brisket, veggies.
Breakfast: Fasting for my blood tests including my hba1c this morning, will have a feed later.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugary stuff, water.

The brisket took around six hours in the slow cooker, four on high, two on low, the internal temp got to 85° C when checked with the meat thermometer it was cooked perfecto.
Dwe01us.gif

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch yesterday: Toasted cheese and ham sandwiches.
Dinner: Marinated brisket, veggies.
Breakfast: Fasting for my blood tests including my hba1c this morning, will have a feed later.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugary stuff, water.

The brisket took around six hours in the slow cooker, four on high, two on low, the internal temp got to 85° C when checked with the meat thermometer it was cooked perfecto.
Dwe01us.gif
Hope the bloods go well but from your menus and previous tests all should be fine.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Supposed to be Omad today but got up later that I expected so 7hr lamb didn’t go in the oven til 8:30
Got back from cold muddy dog walk, someone opened a bottle of bubbly so the ‘meal started about 1:45 - cheese and lc crackers to nibble on then ( with the bubbly)
Lamb was delicious, mine with buttered cabbage and 4 roast sprouts. All but 2 of the 7 assembled were trying to pick out and keep the sprouts- in the end there was a serving dish 1/2 full of roast spuds and no sprouts!!! We were all amazed at the change in our tastes - the rest of the family are not religiously low carb but seem to have unwittingly participated, and actually preferred the sprouts to spuds. Yay!
Glass of red with dinner, then cheese and lc crackers a bit later. Probably a lot of tea to follow.
@Goonergal I’m so sorry about the oxtail failure. I haven’t tried the IP on slow cook function, I thought I would but as @DCUKMod says, I tend to pressure cook then just ignore it and leave on ‘keep warm’ until I need it. Hope next time is better.
@annabell1 You’re doing brilliantly keeping your BSLs at that level in spite of the hospital dietician advice. I’m glad you can get eggs and meat. You’re sounding a lot more positive now, keep posting, we are all with you.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday 1/12/19
Breakfast: Usual low carb porridge, 90g greek yoghurt
Snack: 1 cup unsweetened almond milk and unsweetened cocoa powder
Lunch 160g baby cos lettuce, 74g (when drained) brunswick sardines in spring water, 20g light cheese.
Dinner: 3 egg, four egg white omelette with a serving of baby mushrooms, and 250g cauliflower on side. Oh gosh so good, mushrooms are a treat, and the eggs were really fresh, was an excellent omelette. Watched the first Santa Clause movie because why not and it's December.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@annabell1 pleased today going better - go girl hope you keep feeling a bit better every day
@Goonergal ive never used the ip as a slow cooker sorry it didnt go well I use both my slow cooker and my Ip and now my new air fryer! Toys galore but have good cupboard to store when not in use.
@Brunneria hope travels and visit goes well.
Working today but also did a mass chaffle production line made 24 to freeze for lasagne false pasta sheets, toasted sandwiches andfor with fried breakfast! All cooked and frozen to keep us going next few weeks.
Breakfast slice bacon, egg and half a toasted chaffle
Lunch chaffle toasted cheese sandwich made in my new air fryer - a real success
Dinner game casserole buttered cabbage and one chip ( made portion for OH using par boiled spuds in new air fryer) chips delicious - well one small one I ate really enjoyed and think was first one in two years! Pudding DGF chocolate brownie with yoghurt and cream. Just sipping hc chocolate cream it’s delicious and luckily doesn’t affect my bgs.

Reactions: Annb and maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch, didn’t feel like cooking a roast lunch so opened a tin of chicken curry (1/2 tin = 3.6g carbs) cleared the sinuses nicely :nurse:, followed by SF jelly, chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: raspberry phd bar and black coffee.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake :hungry:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The beef wellingtons didn't work out. The pastry 1: didn't wrap around the meat and 2: tasted all wrong. Not to worry, I'll take the meat out and do something else with it.

Reactions: Quinn1066

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch, didn’t feel like cooking a roast lunch so opened a tin of chicken curry (1/2 tin = 3.6g carbs) cleared the sinuses nicely :nurse:, followed by SF jelly, chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake :hungry:

That Jaffa cake is a real giveaway of where you’ve been.

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2