What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook - I won't post on this topic any more (.......for now), but these are today's IP prices.

The 8ltr is on Cyber Monday, the 6ltr is at a great price, and what I paid for my second on Prime Day in the summer. The 3ltr, baby, isn't (and I don't think has ever been) reduced:

upload_2019-12-2_7-41-2.png

Roger, over and out.

Honest: I have no connection with IP, except as a convert.)

Reactions: maglil55

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Seem to have skipped posting for a couple of days again.

@annabell1 -- My heart goes out to you. What an awful week you've had. My condolences. Glad to see that you're blood sugars have behaved themselves under these challenging set of circumstances, at least. Please accept a very big hug from me.
@Goonergal -- Hugs for the achilles tendinitis and the plantar plantar fasciitis. I know how much you these long walks.
@Tipetoo -- Fingers crossed for your blood tests. When will you get the results?

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol (like @DJC3, I tend to do well with it, even though I do taste the cooling sensation -- in some recipes more than in others). About 2 hours later: Half a chicken wiener and about 30g of shrimp. About 15g of 85% chocolate.

Lunch: Half a ribeye steak (about 150g) with a sauce of mushrooms and spring onion, a tiny bit of mustard and tomato paste in creme fraiche. Some Oppo salted caramel ice cream (about 50g), whipped cream and 11 raspberries.

Dinner: Chicken maqluba (roasted the grated cauliflour and eggplant in the oven before, which helped the sogginess a bit, but have decided that it is the chicken that is the problem, so will prepare them separately next time.) Some Greek yoghurt. Two glasses of dry red wine.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 2/12/19
Breakfast: Usual low carb porridge, 90g greek yoghurt
Snack: 25g spicy pork crackle
Lunch: 150g lettuce, 100g turkey breast, 30g light cheese
Dinner: 229g (After cooking) pork loin steak, 270g cauliflower, 170g green beans. Pork was a tad more fatty then I would have liked. I took the visible fat off from the outside, but will be more careful next time. Had a foot clean at the podiatrist today, that went well.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good morning everyone

@DCUKMod - I think I've decided the instant pot isn't for me. I don't think I'd get the use out of it. Pressure cookers scare the **** out of me - last time (and first time) I used one was 44 years ago and I vowed 'never again'.

BG still isn't making any sense. I felt a bit head achey and almost flu like yesterday and I'm not sure if that was brought on by the big swing up and down in the morning. The food today has been a bit mushroom-y but very enjoyable!

So....

Saturday bed: 8.3

Sunday 1st December FBG: 8.5
Breakfast: Advent calendar cheese then eggs, mushrooms few naughty tablespoons of baked beans and one slice Burgen
2 hours after: 11.5 (I'm guessing this was because of the beans and bread)

Lunch: 6.1
A small leftover goats cheese, fennel, cream and egg bake
2 hours after: 7.2

Dinner: 6.4
Three of those huge mushrooms stuffed with a lovely mixture of spinach, feta, garlic, cream and spices then baked, topped with some mozzarella and baked again until golden (gorgeous!)
50g Breyers choc non-icecream (won't bother getting this again) :hungover:
2 hours after: 6.5

Bed time BG: 6.8

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone

@DCUKMod - I think I've decided the instant pot isn't for me. I don't think I'd get the use out of it. Pressure cookers scare the **** out of me - last time (and first time) I used one was 44 years ago and I vowed 'never again'.

BG still isn't making any sense. I felt a bit head achey and almost flu like yesterday and I'm not sure if that was brought on by the big swing up and down in the morning. The food today has been a bit mushroom-y but very enjoyable!

So....

Breakfast: Advent calendar cheese then eggs, mushrooms few naughty tablespoons of baked beans and one slice Burgen

Three of those huge mushrooms stuffed with a lovely mixture of spinach, feta, garlic, cream and spices then baked, topped with some mozzarella and baked again until golden (gorgeous!)

Great effort there @Chook - perseverance paid off as the numbers from pre dinner, post dinner and bed time show. Way to go young lady.
Re the cheesey jokes: Yes. I understood yesterday's but couldn't work out the nacho cheese punchline today.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone

So....

Chook, I promise I won't go on about it, but I just wanted to say, I felt exactly the same as you about pressure cookers (PCs) before I had one. We'd had one abroad for eons, with MrB having sole use of it (and me giving it a very wide bearth). To be honest, energy was so expensive in all the islands we inhabited, that that helped it's attraction.

When I discovered a through-and-through crack in my slow cooker inner, I decreed, if it was going to be replaced I wanted something doing more than just cook slowly (good though it was).

On that I decided on a multi-cooker, but wailed at MrB they all seemed to include pressure cooking (His eyes lit up!), but he encouraged me to see how it went. I was then guided to ensure the inner pot is stainless steel, as opposed to non-stick, as allegedly most multi-cookers don't expire but go into disuse when the inners become scratched and worn. The IP won the beauty parade.

The IP (and I feel positive most of the other manufacturers too) has a whole swathe of safety features, such as not starting until the lid is properly engaged and locked, and not opening until all of the pressure is released.

I watched a lot of YouTube videos and went for it on a Black Friday, and haven't looked back.

When it arrived I did the prescribed checks then made something (no idea what now) on pressure mode, because I wanted that fear out of the way - one way or another. Once I got used to the steam release I was utterly sold.

There's no doubt it's not for everyone, but I do find it has some great uses - to the extent we now have two. They're not both in service at one time too often, but it does happen.

I feel certain if you change your mind at any time, there'll be deals out there from time to time.

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@DCUKMod - I'll probably get one when my lovely old slow cooker dies - its 20 years old this year. Its out lived the two smaller ones I had so its bound to fail soon but i will miss it. Thanks for the information about the Instant Pot though.I

@ianpspurs - thank you for your comment. I can't really see that its getting any better. My BG seems to over react to carbs compared to how it used to behave. :banghead:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All after uninspiring fbg today:
Breakfast: slice LivLife toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: Keto cheese scone with spreadable cheese, tea.
Supper: will be cheese & tomato omelette.

Have followed the IP musings yet again this year. In the end decided against but I did treat myself to a Prestige non stick 24cm pan following total disappointment with the Salter stone one which promised so much and delivered so little (burns omelettes and they stick despite big knob of butter). I have a larger Prestige fry pan which I received as a wedding present 35 years ago and it is still good as gold.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. It’ll be a late dinner for us as Mr C is still painting the kitchen and it’s all in disarray.
B: CWC then scrambled eggs on marmite Livelife toast
L: tinned mackerel with avocado and spinach oo/ acv vinaigrette then a DGF millionaires shortbread - less erythritol-y this time, maybe it mellowed in the fridge or maybe just because I was expecting it.
D: Will be a curry with the only ingredients in my fridge: mince and a cabbage.
@Chook I love those big mushrooms cooked like that. Hope the flu-ey symptoms don’t develop any more.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Water and tea for B. 1 window each of Ilchester and snaffling pig advent calendar midday. Avocado and mackerel salad with plenty of OO and seeds (chia and linseed). Evening 2 oz No 1 Beemster cheese - slip up there. Plenty of tea.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A late dinner here too @DJC3 - home from work much later than usual and waiting for the IP to do it’s magic - hopefully more successfully than yesterday. Two new recipes on trial tonight.

Breakfast was bacon eggs and cheese, with ‘lunch’ of a bag of pork crackling. Dinner will be chicken and stuffing - adapted a recipe using ground pork crackling in place of bread. Will report back later.

D

Deleted member 308541

@Tipetoo -- Fingers crossed for your blood tests. When will you get the results?
They will be available online Wednesday morning, but I will get them when I see my GP on Friday morning when he gives me the full results, including any dosage change for the Digoxin heart medication I take.

Reactions: ziggy_w

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal hope IP delivers today! Sounds promising re ingredients.
@DJC3 hope kitchen sorted sounds like your IP will need to be in use today for speed
@Chook and @ianpspurs cheese advent calendar sounds great. I’ve not got an advent calendar this year boo hoo....but have got some cheesy snacks arriving this evening on a Black Friday deal - ‘popped’ cheese zero carb crunchy snacks will let you know!
Hectic day but moved a lot of stuff forward.
Breakfast boiled egg and toasted chaffle
Middle of afternoon DGF millionaire shortbread - last one boo hoo!
Dinner sea bass in lemon butter with cauliflower cheese pudding warmed DGF fudge brownie warmed with yoghurt.
Work tomorrow and on Wednesday morning as need to finish off before go to York’s on Thursday.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update. Instant Pot success!

Cooked a whole chicken using this recipe: https://damndelicious.net/2019/01/15/instant-pot-rotisserie-chicken/ and it worked! Need to work on browning the top first, but very juicy and tasty chicken.

Supplemented by stuffing cooked in the oven, adapting this recipe: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3056/sausage-sage-and-onion-stuffing made up a half batch using half the quantity of onion, omitting the apple, doubling the butter and substituting ground pork crackling 1:1 for the bread crumbs. Used Waitrose 1 Free Range Cumberland sausages (their new recipe is 0.7g carb per 2 sausages). Went for the loaf tin option. Really delicious.

Pics attached - cut the leg off the chicken before photographing so a bit of a mess, but you get the idea.

026A3CFC-4061-43A6-B4CD-733CCE8232DA.jpeg
9246998A-5AF4-4560-917A-5054859FF644.jpeg
9C218F50-21C5-4AD5-BD36-7EF1657C27C5.jpeg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still behind. Friday 29 November bed 5.4 FBG 5.8. Great looking cakes @shelley262. I've emailed the DGF peeps re the Millionaire shortbread to make sure it's just a temporary disappearance. Will let you know. @annabell1 - so sorry for everything you are facing. I lost 6 family members last year including a sister and a brother and it's a lot to deal with. You just have to take one day at a time. Hopefully you will be out of hospital tomorrow. @DJC3 - How does the skinny bread dough look/feel? You have to be careful not to have it too wet. I measure the water out but I add gradually. I don't always use a dough hook. A lot of the time I just happily knead the mix. You don't knock it back. Is it rising? Mine nearly doubles. I don't use the IP to prove. I pop it on greaseproof on the tray it's going to bake on and cover with a clean dish towel but sit it on top of my range with the oven warming underneath.
B. TAG with ADOC. No time for anything else. School run then straight to Physio.
L. Pick up boys after Physio, get them lunch then bags packed and off to swimming at my gym. A bit more civilised this week. Friends were there this week which gave the boys more people to play with. Eventually got them home 4.40pm.
D. Starving, so had rib eye, veggie chips, roasted sprouts and a fried egg. DGF caramel brownie with raspberries and cream.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Update. Instant Pot success!

Cooked a whole chicken using this recipe: https://damndelicious.net/2019/01/15/instant-pot-rotisserie-chicken/ and it worked! Need to work on browning the top first, but very juicy and tasty chicken.

Supplemented by stuffing cooked in the oven, adapting this recipe: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3056/sausage-sage-and-onion-stuffing made up a half batch using half the quantity of onion, omitting the apple, doubling the butter and substituting ground pork crackling 1:1 for the bread crumbs. Used Waitrose 1 Free Range Cumberland sausages (their new recipe is 0.7g carb per 2 sausages). Went for the loaf tin option. Really delicious.

Pics attached - cut the leg off the chicken before photographing so a bit of a mess, but you get the idea.

View attachment 36994 View attachment 36995 View attachment 36996
Looks amazing great news x

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah! As I suspected. Not sure what to do now, my manual kneading technique is obviously rubbish.
Have you considered a hand mixer with dough hooks? As well as my monster Kenwood I have a hand Kenwood with dough hooks. Got it in one of the supermarkets and it was pretty cheap. Doesn't take up much space either.

Reactions: DJC3 and ziggy_w

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over tinned chicken curry followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: roast chicken, one small roast potato, mixed veg and gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.