Newly diagnosed and worried about life expectancy

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm a recently diagnosed 28 year old female type 1. They told me I don't fit any real bill and I was called into a&e with the worst DKA the hospital had seen without symptoms....5 days later I'm out and have been told they need to treat me as a type 1 ...their understanding of what happened to my pancreas doesn't matter as it's shut down either way.
I've googled everything...from health complications to life expectancy and
I'm having real problems with the idea I'm going to lose 12 years of my life?! Recently married and really trying not to let the diagnosis affect my mental health. Any help with the whole mortality side of it?
Are eye and kidney problems a 100% given or can I avoid these things?
It’s the start of a journey and it’s not half as bad as some other conditions that people are unfortunate to be burdened with.
When I was diagnosed at 22 my doctor told me, “The more you know about diabetes the longer and healthier you will live”. Now 45 years later I still go by that and believe that I haven’t done too badly. We are much better equipped now to deal with our condition. Never stop learning. Follow your interests and passions. You will find that life ahead is a lot brighter and
more colourful than it would seem at the moment!

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't worry to much ; just do what the doctors require you to do and then you will know what you should do and what you should not do. It's all a learning curve which you will learn to "drive" for a better live and live longer as I was diagnosed at 14 and now I am 73 ,with only a few small problems which are not bad for my age?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Stop worrying. If your diabetes prompts you to lead a healthy life with good diet and lots of exercise, you will live a lot longer than all those overweight, lazy people who refuse to change their lifestyles. I've never felt better than in the last 2 years since I was diagnosed and I fully intend to live to a ripe old age. Stop worrying and enjoy life.

Maybe they were already doing that? Simply saying 'stop worrying' is dismissive in my opinion, this person has suddenly been told they have a lifelong disease which requires constant monitoring and attention to a degree that is life changing. Stop worrying?, it's not just a question of a 'diet only' approach (which I know can be hard), it's everything else that comes with being insulin dependent.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Maybe they were already doing that? Simply saying 'stop worrying' is dismissive in my opinion, this person has suddenly been told they have a lifelong disease which requires constant monitoring and attention to a degree that is life changing. Stop worrying?, it's not just a question of a 'diet only' approach (which I know can be hard), it's everything else that comes with being insulin dependent.
Just back from a work trip and saw your reply. I didn't intend my post to be dismissive in any way. That said, stress raises BG levels and worrying about our condition isn't helpful. Positive action to control BG is far more productive than worrying.