Dangerous sweeteners!

sbnz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It seems Stevia is normally bulked with dextrose, presumably to make it have the same sweetness per teaspoon as table sugar.
I am confused by dextrose, I thought it was the same as glucose, maybe it is an isomer that is not digested but don't people use dextrose tablets for hypos.
CRAZY - why would stevia (a non-nutritive sweetener) be bulked with dextrose/glucose (a VERY fast-acting blood glucose raiser?)...sorry Mr Pot - I haven't noticed this particular blending of products but it may indeed happen. Im in New Zealand and maybe haven't seen same products as you (?) in Britain. However sadly... I'm not too surprised if/when such 'foods' are technologised in an effort for a quick cheap buck.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
CRAZY - why would stevia (a non-nutritive sweetener) be bulked with dextrose/glucose (a VERY fast-acting blood glucose raiser?)...sorry Mr Pot - I haven't noticed this particular blending of products but it may indeed happen. Im in New Zealand and maybe haven't seen same products as you (?) in Britain. However sadly... I'm not too surprised if/when such 'foods' are technologised in an effort for a quick cheap buck.
Just checked my local Aldi store on their stevia pellets, and the first ingredient listed is dextrose. The US variant has maltodestrin as their first ingredient according to the website.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the warning. I use Aldi a lot. There is a branch very near where I live. I buy Truvia which has Stevia in it but not loaded up with dextrose, from Morrisons. If I see this stuff you bought in Aldi I will know to avoid it.

Incidentally, in the Philippines the current president has threatened to shoot the importers of plastic rice substitute. I am not suggesting you take up arms likewise but the two occurrences of deception are not too dissimilar.

Last edited:
Reactions: AloeSvea

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
You're being sold it as stevia.
It is not stevia bulked with dextrose.
It's dextrose with 2% stevia added.
Totally dishonest and misleading.

Reactions: Pasha

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you can get a no win no fee then perhaps proceed just to make the point. What ever you do don't let some one tell you they can win but it will cost you money to take it to court. I really don't think you have a case.

The law in the UK is very clear, as much as I agree with all the comments about this bieng a risk for diabetics and a good heads up, it is legal labeling.

It's like buying vanilla extract and expecting it to contain just vanilla extract. It's a plant extract contained in a medium of sugar water when you read the ingredients. Unless the product states on the front that it is 100% vanilla extract it's perfecty legal and for the average consumer is no risk. The onus is on the user to check the ingredients if they have a sensitivity to something. If it was marketed as diabetic friendly that would be different, bit that's why that wording is banned in the UK.

I'm just making sure some one does not take advantage of you as I can imagine how angry you are about this, but please don't spend a penny on this as I really don't think you will achieve anything apart from spending hard earnt money.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Vanilla extract (mostly sugar)
100% cod fish fingers (covered on wheat for people with that sensitivity)
Wasabi peas (made using 99% mustard with a tiny amount of wasabi for the name)
"Cherry fruit winders" they are made from 95% mashed up apple or pear with. Slittle cherry flavour thrown in at the end.

Just making a point that what is legal in the UK is quite right compared with other counties, but still very open to some creative marketing.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Vanilla extract (mostly sugar)
100% cod fish fingers (covered on wheat for people with that sensitivity)
Wasabi peas (made using 99% mustard with a tiny amount of wasabi for the name)
"Cherry fruit winders" they are made from 95% mashed up apple or pear with. Slittle cherry flavour thrown in at the end.

Just making a point that what is legal in the UK is quite right compared with other counties, but still very open to some creative marketing.
Like Bombay Duck, perchance?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I tried adding a review on the Aldi site - which went for moderation and they refused to publish it.
I was polite, but firm about warning re the sugar and diabetes.
No reason given for them rejecting it, so I will follow up with a complaint.

Reactions: Divia

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looking at the Morrisons stevia granulated product, it is apparently maltodextrin with only 2% stevia extract added. consequently the nutrition lists it as 94% carb of which 3,9% is sugars. There is a warning that it should not be used for high temperature baking, and that baking powder needs to be added for dough that is intended to rise. Has many comments on it, 100% that I saw were totally negative with no plus points at all. It is however, suitable for vegans and replaces the Morrisons sucralose sweetner range at twice the price.

One thing they do not mention is that most commercial extraction of cheap stevia uses methylated spirits in the process and this leaves residues that can build up in the tissues and may affect eyesight if long term use. Mind you, meths drinkers take in a lot more than we would, so this is probably an urban myth.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it was marketed as diabetic friendly that would be different, bit that's why that wording is banned in the UK.
Apparently it’s not actually illegal. I posted about this recently to do with ice cream. No one can find any legislation specifically against it. Just guidelines and best practice

Reactions: Tophat1900

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Apparently it’s not actually illegal. I posted about this recently to do with ice cream. No one can find any legislation specifically against it. Just guidelines and best practice

Guidelines and best practice... that says a lot I think.