Qualifying for a libre

ehaigh780

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone,

Just a quick question on how strict have you found or know the NHS can be for qualifying for a libre?

For example you must do 8 or more tests a day, alot of the time I do 8/9 but some days 7?

Thank you!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
It's a bit of a postcode lottery situation with CCG's up and down the country applying the criteria as they see fit.

I have been refused it because my control is too good! Made no difference when I explained that my control was good because I was self funding the Libre.

Some people get given it without having to fully meet the stringent criteria. All you can do is ask.

Last edited:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, In my area/CCG, to get the libre on prescription I didn’t find it strict since I fitted under the criteria. Like testing more than 8 times a day/ self funding and has shown an improvement and other criterias like pregnancy etc. You can read your hospital area/CCG libre criteria online. This is for type 1 diabetes though, I’m not sure for type 2 diabetes.
I know there are some areas are refusing to prescribe it despite the criteria due to the lack of funding. I also know some have to do a structured education course for it.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The criteria for 'too good' control may be misleading given the hba1c can incorporate a rollercoaster of blood suagars. In time I think 'time in range' will be an additional measure but given that ccgs are rtioned to prescriptions for 20% of their type 1s, they may be literal minded about NOT prescribing to people they consider to be low risk of complications. Yet at tier 3/4 level the consultants in my CCG (Surrey Downs but cared for at hospital in Guildford) seem very pro prescribing and have been helpful in hoop jumping for keen people like me e.g. the forms all got ticked and processed in 1 day of a carb coounting course and sign a contract that I would reduce my HBA1c and I walked away with 2 fsls. It has been harder if you are an as yet uncomplicated type 1 who gets cared for at GP level.
My review is at the end of January and I am hopping a recent month of very high bgs due to a steroid jab. pain and sleep deprivation won't show up too much but I have gone down from a 58 to a 51 prior to this so I am hopeful I will get to keep my libre.

LucyLou780

I am in Wigan,Greater Manchester and i was able to get one no problem and was told that they were now offering them to type 1 diabetics.