Does anyone find that milk puts up blood sugar?

elizasue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've recently started testing blood sugar fasting levels and am trying to get these down. Used to drink up 4 or 5 cups of tea with semi-skimmed or full fat milk but will try without for a few days to see if it makes a difference. Following a low carb diet, but don't want to lose weight, as BMI lower side of normal.

I had tried soya milk (unsweetened) for a few days and blood sugars did seem a bit lower - but not sure if that was a coincidence.

I'm just interested if anyone else has found similar.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Yep, certainly will. Assuming you are Type 2, but look at the lable and see how much sugar is in milk. Full cream has around 11 to 12g of sugar per cup full. Quite a bit.

Would spike my levels, so I drink tea without milk. A lot of people add full cream to coffee, you could perhaps try that also and see how it goes if you wanted to.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here. Milk can cause a rise, especially skimmed or semi-skimmed. Lacto-free whole milk or double cream are decent replacements.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes.
I find that all whey containing products put my blood glucose up higher than the number of carbs would suggest they will.
So I speculate that it is due to my whey intolerance AND the carbs.
Non whey containing dairy does not have the same effect.

Not sure if people with lactose intolerance experience the same...?
But it is an easy enough test to run - simply compare bg rises when using lactose free and normal milk. :)

elizasue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your responses everyone - Monday - start of a new week -- getting used to different habits after many years of doing the same thing feels daunting, but when you read some of the posts on here (thank you for sharing ickihun) it makes me count my blessings really.

Mister LJ

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
An interesting observation whilst still on topic... this is why some beers especially stouts can be very sweet, they contain Lactose which is milk sugar, it is an unfermentable sugar and does not convert to alcohol.

Reactions: Guy11

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely yes, I sometimes use milk as a hypo remedy or to keep me from dropping low whilst at work.

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I only add cream to my coffee and even that causes a small rise for me.

JohnH2019

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped drinking milk for that reason. Certainly low fat milk is just not healthy. Even unsweetened cream has sugar/carbs and I notice the impact on the meter. Coffee with cream is for some people a double hit as caffeine can also raise BG for some.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, milk is too high in milk sugars for me. I went off milk at the same time as going off wheat/bread products, on diagnosis.

I like Suzy Cohen's little ditty in 'Diabetes without Drugs' - "Milk and Bread, cause for Dread."

I love cream and eat a lot of whipped cream, but, I am pretty sure cream does invite an insulin response.

Ray807

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am pre T2, and love milk. i drink a class with lunch every single day.
So i need to stop drinking it, i hate coffe/tea, so can anyone suggest a drink to replace milk please.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So i need to stop drinking it, i hate coffe/tea, so can anyone suggest a drink to replace milk please.

Hello there’s lactose free milk or plant based milk like soy, almond, hemp or hazelnut.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
do you like the flavoured 'teas'?
I find mint and licorice tea good hot or cold, but there are a lot of different flavours.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

to make that decision, you would need to know if the milk was significantly raising your blood glucose.

If not, then why stop drinking it?
If it is, you could decide on a smaller glass, or a different type of milk (full fat rather than semi skimmed, for example).

I would caution you from making large changes to your way of eating until you have evidence to show that they are necessary and benefit you. Especially if those changes reduce your enjoyment of food and make your new way of eating less sustainable.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Milk just doesn’t work for me either. I miss my weekend lattes. I still have the odd one but never in association with any other carbs.

But lactose-free milk : I am distinctly confused by this. I have tried it but it had exactly the same spiking effect on my BG and tasted too sweet for my palate. But I am not surprised, having done more research. I naively assumed that the lactose was somehow magically removed but in fact (afaik) they just add lactase to catalyse the conversion to glucose and galactose, thus helpfully pre-digesting it and allowing it to whoosh into the bloodstream. I am puzzled as to how some T2 find it beneficial? Maybe just that ‘everyone is different’ thing again! :cat:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love milk, and drink a mug of hot full fat milk every day. I just count the carbs into my daily total. I have been doing this for 8 years, no problem.