Dexcom and rugby

weeniew

I am a school nurse and was wanting some advice on how best to secure a dexcom device to play contact rugby. Obviously I know it is possible to secure with gauze and tegaderm, but obviously the risk of it being dislodged can never be totally eliminated. Is it a risk worth taking? It is a young boy (13yrs) and the device can only be sited in his stomach as he has very lean arms. Any thoughts and advice would be gratefully received.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @weeniew and welcome to the forum :)

I use a Dexcom and unfortunately the risk cannot be eliminated completely despite best intentions, I use tegarderm when particularly active and find this is effective, however wearing it would not stop me from exercising, also it shouldn't in theory come off, Dexcom provide clear adhesive plasters which sit around the sensor and are useful but like tegaderm them aren't completely reliable. I would encourage him to participate in contact rugby, if one does come off then contact Dexcom and see if they will replace, their customer service team are excellent so should replace this FOC for him.

weeniew

Hello @weeniew and welcome to the forum :)

I use a Dexcom and unfortunately the risk cannot be eliminated completely despite best intentions, I use tegarderm when particularly active and find this is effective, however wearing it would not stop me from exercising, also it shouldn't in theory come off, Dexcom provide clear adhesive plasters which sit around the sensor and are useful but like tegaderm them aren't completely reliable. I would encourage him to participate in contact rugby, if one does come off then contact Dexcom and see if they will replace, their customer service team are excellent so should replace this FOC for him.
Thank you very much for this very useful advice, it is hugely appreciated.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks @weeniew :)

I should of also said that because of wearing the Dexcom I exercise more now than ever as it gives me confidence without the constant worry of what's going on, so i'd actively encourage any type 1 to do the same, they are designed to allow us much more freedom in our choices.