Chaffle makers?

38aqua15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Alexandra100
Like you I'm intrigued by all the posts about chaffles, and would love to have a go at making them. As you say the Dash waffle maker seems to be the best, but when I look on line at Amazon they don't have them in stock. Did you purchase one? If so, which one did you choose, and are you happy with it?

Best wishes

I too was intrigued by all the chaffle chatter
Found a half price Tower 3in1 snack maker in local B&M store - £10.00.
Basic recipe
1 egg and grated mozzarella or
1 egg, 1 tablespoon almond flour or 1 teaspoon coconut flour
this is enough to give me two chaffles

I vary the cheese - gouda or cheddar, add Italian herbs and garlic powder to vary taste.
Recipes from ditch the carb - there is a whole range of varieties to download https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/how-to-make-chaffles-4-ways/

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Alexandra100
Like you I'm intrigued by all the posts about chaffles, and would love to have a go at making them. As you say the Dash waffle maker seems to be the best, but when I look on line at Amazon they don't have them in stock. Did you purchase one? If so, which one did you choose, and are you happy with it?

Best wishes

we have one of those panini makers/sandwich makers/griller things, with interchangeable plates.
Cost around £25 from Amazon.
Delivered next day and chaffling merrily within 10 mins of arrival.
Very pleased with it.

and glad we got one big enough to do 2 chaffles at once. I find 1 egg and plenty of cheese is too much for one chaffle, so make 2 side by side. Much easier than cooking one and then another.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
we have one of those panini makers/sandwich makers/griller things, with interchangeable plates.
Cost around £25 from Amazon.
Delivered next day and chaffling merrily within 10 mins of arrival.
Very pleased with it.

and glad we got one big enough to do 2 chaffles at once. I find 1 egg and plenty of cheese is too much for one chaffle, so make 2 side by side. Much easier than cooking one and then another.
Thanks @Brunneria , & @38aqua15, re-enthused by your posts I have signed up to
https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/how-to-make-chaffles-4-ways/
I shall follow the advice of another poster and try out the recipe(s) first in a frying pan to make sure I like the taste, before investing in a chaffle maker.

At 77 I keep resolving that I really don't need to buy any more equipment in my lifetime. Sadly, I have recently failed in this resolve to the tune of 1 very superior exercise bike, 1 under-desk exercise bike, one small aluminium step ladder (for watering hanging spider plant), 1 wooden step stool and even 2 indoor plant watering cans and a sack of peat-free compost. In addition, my indispensible kitchen scales are on their last legs. Where will it end?

Reactions: Redshank

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Brunneria , & @38aqua15, re-enthused by your posts I have signed up to
https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/how-to-make-chaffles-4-ways/
I shall follow the advice of another poster and try out the recipe(s) first in a frying pan to make sure I like the taste, before investing in a chaffle maker.

At 77 I keep resolving that I really don't need to buy any more equipment in my lifetime. Sadly, I have recently failed in this resolve to the tune of 1 very superior exercise bike, 1 under-desk exercise bike, one small aluminium step ladder (for watering hanging spider plant), 1 wooden step stool and even 2 indoor plant watering cans and a sack of peat-free compost. In addition, my indispensible kitchen scales are on their last legs. Where will it end?
I tried the frying pan test and decided not to get a chaffle maker. I didn't think I would be making chaffles after the novelty wore off and the combination of egg and cheese is much better in a proper cheese omelette.
In general though if I want something and I can afford it, I disregard my age and buy it otherwise I could still be around in 10 years time regretting it.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I make a chaffle most mornings for breakfast and I use those 250g bags of pre-grated mozzarella.

So I use a third of a bag of mozzarella (83g) and one large egg. Beat egg, add cheese then stir in flavour of choice - at the moment my favourite is mixed spice (the chaffle tastes a bit like Xmas mince pies). On my waffle maker this mixture takes 4 minutes. Sometimes I smother it in butter or sometimes I top it with zero carb / zero sugar syrup (from TKMaxx).

I've also tried adding a squidge of tomato puree, dried oregano and dried garlic for a pizza flavoured one and I've also subbed a third of the mozzarella for a stronger cheese to make a more savoury one - nice with poached or fried eggs on the top.

The only failure was when I tried making it will just grated strong cheddar - :hungover:

Reactions: Larissima

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
NB pre-grated cheese usually / always contains added starch to stop the cheese from clumping together.

Yes, but not a lot - and i count the carbs in it.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Both ebay and amazon have what appear to be identical models with several different names, some priced well below £10 but postage varies a lot so check the total price carefully.
A lot of them have EU plugs but you could either swap the plug or buy a UK visitor's adaptor (I have one for my real persian rice cooker as I struggle to strip wires and swap plugs these days).

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting comments about chaffle makers. A week ago after reading all the info I decided that I must have one, and so ordered the Dash from Amazon, which has to come from America. Should arrive in about nine days time. Can't wait. Usually if I want anything I have to have it there and then, a bit like a child, but I decided that I wanted a Dash so must wait a bit longer for delivery.

At the moment it seems I'm practically living on protein, meat, fish eggs, and I see the chaffle maker as adding a bit of variety to my diet, Perhaps miniature pizzas, eggs on chaffles, ham chaffle sandwich, etc. Giving the feeling of eating something carby, but not breaking the rules. A slice of ordinary bread rapidly raises my blood glucose readings.

I shall be studying the posts for recipes!

Best wishes.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting comments about chaffle makers. A week ago after reading all the info I decided that I must have one, and so ordered the Dash from Amazon, which has to come from America. Should arrive in about nine days time. Can't wait. Usually if I want anything I have to have it there and then, a bit like a child, but I decided that I wanted a Dash so must wait a bit longer for delivery.

At the moment it seems I'm practically living on protein, meat, fish eggs, and I see the chaffle maker as adding a bit of variety to my diet, Perhaps miniature pizzas, eggs on chaffles, ham chaffle sandwich, etc. Giving the feeling of eating something carby, but not breaking the rules. A slice of ordinary bread rapidly raises my blood glucose readings.

I shall be studying the posts for recipes!

Best wishes.

Gracie - will it work on 240v electricity? In US, they have 110v.

Most things require a step-down voltage converter. Mobile phone, tablets and the like are very common exceptions.

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Gracie - will it work on 240v electricity? In US, they have 110v.

Most things require a step-down voltage converter. Mobile phone, tablets and the like are very common exceptions.
I hope it is 240v. Can't be doing with too many problems!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope it is 240v. Can't be doing with too many problems!
I agree with @DCUKMod, it is likely to be 110V and you will need a step-down transformer which is probably twice the cost of the waffle maker if it is of sufficient wattage - sorry.

ETA: if this is the case and you bought it from Amazon UK then you may have a case to complain.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please be very careful, Gracie - Have a look at these Amazon questions:

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/TxSW7UG49O52F

A step-down transformer is likely to cost way more than the gizmo itself, and to be honest, I'd avoid it where I could. Safety first and all that. no messing with electrickery in my world!
Oh dear, and I thought I was choosing wisely in selecting the Dash. It's too late now it's on its way. Where do I go from here?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear, and I thought I was choosing wisely in selecting the Dash. It's too late now it's on its way. Where do I go from here?

I have no real idea. You could perhaps contact Dash themselves and ask them the question whether their gadget will work on 24v, without a step down transformer?

Alternatively, tell Amazon or Dash you believe you made an error when selecting the device? I know from past experience, US consumer laws differ significantly from our own.

To be honest, I don't even know who pays the carriage for Amazon returns. If it is you, the customer, in your shoes, I might be inclined to either wait and check out what comes, to be absolutely sure, or choose another gadget from the .co.uk website.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and all that.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When it arrives check the voltage stated on it. If it is 110V then you could try complaining to Amazon that they have sold you something not fit for purpose in the UK, maybe they will refund your money. They should have clearly stated that it is not suitable for UK voltage.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Gracie204 - Did you order it from .com or .co.uk ? I don't see it on the UK site.

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no real idea. You could perhaps contact Dash themselves and ask them the question whether their gadget will work on 24v, without a step down transformer?

Alternatively, tell Amazon or Dash you believe you made an error when selecting the device? I know from past experience, US consumer laws differ significantly from our own.

To be honest, I don't even know who pays the carriage for Amazon returns. If it is you, the customer, in your shoes, I might be
When it arrives check the voltage stated on it. If it is 110V then you could try complaining to Amazon that they have sold you something not fit for purpose in the UK, maybe they will refund your money. They should have clearly stated that it is not suitable for UK voltage.
The only thing I can do is to wait and see what arrives. Hopefully it will be a 240v chaffle maker! But if not, I'm not going to make myself unhappy for the sake of a few pounds. I'll just have to order the right one next time.
inclined to either wait and check out what comes, to be absolutely sure, or choose another gadget from the .co.uk website.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and all that.