What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 04/12/19
Breakfast: Usual low carb porridge and 90g greek yoghurt
Lunch: 95g can of tomato and basil tuna, 112g iceberg lettuce, 60g rocket, 20g cheese
Dinner: 250g roast chicken breast, 170g green beans, 270g cauliflower.
It was a good day, I bulk cooked chicken breast, so next two dinner meals meat wise are sorted. I enjoyed the tomato and basil tuna, yeah it has a tad bit of sunflower oil in it, and is 2g of carbs but it's nice and a good change from sardines, or ham. Washing dried on the line so that was very good.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@ianpspurs - Thank you so much - I was feeling a bit disheartened yesterday.
@DCUKMod - I wasn't having a winge at you (or anyone else) I'm having a winge at myself. I just am struggling to believe that I'm having to go through all this again. It seems to happen at least once a year.
@Annb - I used to be on insulin and no matter how much I carb counted I could never get my BG to do what I wanted it to. You have my admiration for persevering with it the way you are. I found the insulin made me put on LOADS of weight - 5 stones in 5 years.

Right.... yesterday.... a nice little surprise:

Monday bed: 6.9
Tuesday FBG 8.6
Breakfast: Advent calendar cheese and (separately) a chaffle with sugar free syrup
2 hours after 8.3

Lunch: 6.3
Usual cheese, cherry tomatoes and cucumber
2 hours after 6.3

Dinner: 5.9 (Woo HOOOO)
Quorn thing, brussels sprouts and cauliflower and lots of butter
2 hours after: 7.3

Bed time: 5.8 :wideyed:

Drinks: caffeinated coffee with breakfast, diet pepsi with my tablets then decaff until lunchtime. Loads of water.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs - Thank you so much - I was feeling a bit disheartened yesterday.
@DCUKMod - I wasn't having a winge at you (or anyone else) I'm having a winge at myself. I just am struggling to believe that I'm having to go through all this again. It seems to happen at least once a year.
@Annb - I used to be on insulin and no matter how much I carb counted I could never get my BG to do what I wanted it to. You have my admiration for persevering with it the way you are. I found the insulin made me put on LOADS of weight - 5 stones in 5 years.

Right.... yesterday.... a nice little surprise:

Monday bed: 6.9
Tuesday FBG 8.6
Breakfast: Advent calendar cheese and (separately) a chaffle with sugar free syrup
2 hours after 8.3

Lunch: 6.3
Usual cheese, cherry tomatoes and cucumber
2 hours after 6.3

Dinner: 5.9 (Woo HOOOO)
Quorn thing, brussels sprouts and cauliflower and lots of butter
2 hours after: 7.3

Bed time: 5.8 :wideyed:

Drinks: caffeinated coffee with breakfast, diet pepsi with my tablets then decaff until lunchtime. Loads of water.

Chook - Being totally candid, I didn't think you were whinging at me, or anyone else, aside from yourself, and that was exasperation, rather than a moan.

You're having a frustrating and tough time, just trying to do what theoretically should be quite simple. But, we're not robots. Our bodies don't respond in robotic, or even consistent ways somethings. When I read the word "typical", my body feels a metaphoric need to stick it's tongue out.

All I was urging you do was try not to be so hard on yourself, because you and I both know that frustration, and the stress it brings can create a blood glucose rollercoaster/chicken and egg situation.

Our bodies are miraculous things, except when they get a bit off kilter, then it sometimes feels like a game of chance, exactly what any given outcome will be.

Stick with it, your clawing your way back, and should be proud. It's not easy.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had food this morning - I had to go out and thought I needed it. Small dish of chicken mayo because I was rushing and didn't have time to do any eggs, which would have felt more appropriate to the time of day, but what the heck!

Home now and managed to feel virtuous by only having some black tea while out and resisting the treats laid out on the table. Currently having a mug of beef broth (FBG was 7.5 this morning and was 6.2 just now).

Later I will do something with one of the steaks left from the wellingtons that didn't work, maybe with some stir fried veg.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@shelley262 - you'll be pleased to know the DGF Millionaire shortbread will be back. Got a nice little note in with today's assorted brownie delivery to confirm - Fear not, they will be available for order again soon.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Food today: 1 window each crackling and cheese (brie and cranberry) 20 gms cheese, about a fly's weight crackling around 13.00 hrs; Evening (just eaten) salmon (marinaded in garlic and rosemary, pan fried in butter, crisp skin - proud of myself) avocado, large bowl of salad with lots of chia and linseeds. Water, tea, a latte in Waitrose. Today was my Dad's birthday so laid a wreath on the grave - next grave is his brother and within a cricket pitch are 1 set of their grandparents and their parents. Quite fitting and comforting. Lots of parcels picked up today (literally a car full) including air fryer. I have taken against it instantly - 3 books, gadgets and gizmos - I just wanted halloumi fries and crsipy skin on my salmon not a degree level course before eating. Julie has been quite poorly since Monday - involves samples and blood tests - but seems to be getting better so air fryer may be used to cook the lamb chops I am marinading. Urgent blood tests around here mean Friday 13th 12.00 - madam cancelled it. Over the last 3 days sky and DPD have been given several volleys from her - made me laugh but I went Nordic walking today in case she noticed.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Breakfast today as usual slice LivLife toast, butter, tea.
Lunch didnt happen as such but was at a Cookery Demo this morn8ng with friend and we had tiny samples of 1 soup, 3 mains, and swerved the risotto and 2 dessert samples as well as the specacular cake at break time.
Supper: Spoonful chilli beef and green rice.

@Chook keep going the numbers are getting better. @Annb you are doing well despite challenges. Respect to both of you.
@ianpspurs sorry to hear Julie not well and hope it doesnt linger. Also poignant day of remembrance for those loved and lost.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Three meals today. In work by 6.30am, ravenous (and not a little stressed) by 9.30am so went for breakfast of bacon eggs and cheese.

Lunch back to the cafe for a repeat minus the cheese.

Dinner was at Wingstop. Mix of garlic Parmesan and lemon pepper wings.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Food today: 1 window each crackling and cheese (brie and cranberry) 20 gms cheese, about a fly's weight crackling around 13.00 hrs; Evening (just eaten) salmon (marinaded in garlic and rosemary, pan fried in butter, crisp skin - proud of myself) avocado, large bowl of salad with lots of chia and linseeds. Water, tea, a latte in Waitrose. Today was my Dad's birthday so laid a wreath on the grave - next grave is his brother and within a cricket pitch are 1 set of their grandparents and their parents. Quite fitting and comforting. Lots of parcels picked up today (literally a car full) including air fryer. I have taken against it instantly - 3 books, gadgets and gizmos - I just wanted halloumi fries and crsipy skin on my salmon not a degree level course before eating. Julie has been quite poorly since Monday - involves samples and blood tests - but seems to be getting better so air fryer may be used to cook the lamb chops I am marinading. Urgent blood tests around here mean Friday 13th 12.00 - madam cancelled it. Over the last 3 days sky and DPD have been given several volleys from her - made me laugh but I went Nordic walking today in case she noticed.

Ian - We have used the chips tumble basket - once. It's a bit fiddly and they do beautifully on a shelf. We keep saying we'll do a proper rotisserie chicken, but never seem to get around to it.

Once you've had some crispy skin, you'll be sold.

My Dad passed away 30 years ago, last Friday. It's good to remember them all.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Final instalment today - promise. When I looked into my fridges I found only some brussels sprouts, a cabbage, half an onion and some peppers for a stir fry. Decided instead to do br sprouts bubble and squeak with the left over beef and the half onion. Lots of butter to fry it up. Tasted great but it didn't bubble or squeak. I put the sprouts through a processor to slice them very finely so they would cook quickly, then put them into the pan with lots of butter and added the onion and meat, mostly cut into small chunks, but I left some slices for the top.

I must have done something right today because my BG is still below 7 - that was before insulin and eating, will test again in an hour. Pity I don't know what it was I did right.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
@ianpspurs thinking of you re your anniversary of dads birthday and your in memorium visit to graveyard where family members are buried. We are a bit thoughtful this evening as about to travel north for mums sisters funeral. Hope too that Julie is feeling better soon. Re the air fryer we bought a cheap simple one and I’m loving it although I’m finding it’s tempting me-to try OHs chips!
@Goonergal work sounds stressful but only two more days to go to weekend - take care.
@annabell1 good you’re back from hospital but that apple turnover in your fridge sounds tempting !
@Chook and @Annb thinking of you both - you are both working so hard in the face of bodies that are not behaving in direct response to your hard work and efforts - keep going guys.
@PenguinMum sounds like real discipline exercised on your cookery demo outing
@maglil55 thank you for your encouraging message re the millionaires shortbread will keep an eye out for its return
@SlimLizzy hope your digestive system is settling.
I’m about to go AWOL for a few days - mum doesn't have Internet and her mobile phone signal is poor plus I’ll will be very busy with family, funeral and sorting mums place and packing so will pick up when back in a few days. Mum will be with us then for three weeks so may be erratic with my direct caring cohort increased! Taking her back on Boxing Day when younger brother taking over the caring.
Work for December finished this am - phew then this afternoon busy at autistic sons sorting stuff so can go away to York’s for a couple of days.
Breakfast one slice of bacon, egg and half a chaffle
Lunch cheddar, prosciutto and celery
Dinner beef casserole, two of OHs air fried home made chips!( thankfully no big bg reaction!) and buttered red cabbage and glass dry red wine followed by warmed lc lemon cake with yoghurt.
Catch up hopefully when back from my travels.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
@ianpspurs thinking of you re your anniversary of dads birthday and your in memorium visit to graveyard where family members are buried. We are a bit thoughtful this evening as about to travel north for mums sisters funeral. Hope too that Julie is feeling better soon. Re the air fryer we bought a cheap simple one and I’m loving it although I’m finding it’s tempting me-to try OHs chips!
@Goonergal work sounds stressful but only two more days to go to weekend - take care.
@annabell1 good you’re back from hospital but that apple turnover in your fridge sounds tempting !
@Chook and @Annb thinking of you both - you are both working so hard in the face of bodies that are not behaving in direct response to your hard work and efforts - keep going guys.
@PenguinMum sounds like real discipline exercised on your cookery demo outing
@maglil55 thank you for your encouraging message re the millionaires shortbread will keep an eye out for its return
@SlimLizzy hope your digestive system is settling.
I’m about to go AWOL for a few days - mum doesn't have Internet and her mobile phone signal is poor plus I’ll will be very busy with family, funeral and sorting mums place and packing so will pick up when back in a few days. Mum will be with us then for three weeks so may be erratic with my direct caring cohort increased! Taking her back on Boxing Day when younger brother taking over the caring.
Work for December finished this am - phew then this afternoon busy at autistic sons sorting stuff so can go away to York’s for a couple of days.
Breakfast one slice of bacon, egg and half a chaffle
Lunch cheddar, prosciutto and celery
Dinner beef casserole, two of OHs air fried home made chips!( thankfully no big bg reaction!) and buttered red cabbage and glass dry red wine followed by warmed lc lemon cake with yoghurt.
Catch up hopefully when back from my travels.
I hope the funeral goes as well as they can and your mum's longer time with you helps the grieving process.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cheesy scrambled eggs with Marmite on LivLife toast followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: Chicken supreme with Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch yesterday: Liquid lunch to celebrate a slightly lower hba1c test.
Dinner: Mutton chops, veggies, gravy.
Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, beer, water.
Well done on hbaca1 well worth a celebration

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@annabell1 you have had a really tough time. Good to know you are getting back home. Hope you feel better soon.

Breakfast CWC, chicken livers. CWC
CWC
Lunch. Toast, pâté.
tomato, lettuce and cucumber. Tea
Tea
Coffee
Dinner beef casserole. 2 tiny potatoes. Few carrots and peas. Leeks. One glass of wine
Tea
Still dashing to the loo. Probably not every hour, on the hour, but definitely, Not Again - I only just went. Very frustrating, esp when it's a long way to the toilet. Feels as if my body is lying to me. You need to go! You really need to go! Then it's three seconds- ok done now. Grrrr.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all I’m well behind, will have to just post my food and read through properly later.
Yesterday I can’t actually remember what ( or if) I had for breakfast and lunch, but dinner was turbot with lemon butter, broccoli and a baked mushroom.

Today has been uninspiring food wise- scrambled eggs and flaxseed bun for breakfast. Feta and spinach omelette for lunch, no dinner as we went to the Christmas market and late night shopping in Truro. ( others all had hog roast in a bap with apple sauce and stuffing)

@annabell1 I’m glad you’re home now and able to recuperate properly
@shelley262 hope all goes well as can be hoped over the next few days and you manage to travel back with your mum ok
@SlimLizzy sorry to hear of your gut problems. Your cabbage/ cream/ Parmesan dinners sound like they might be a kind of low carb carbonara - is it that the sort of thing?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch yesterday: Liquid lunch to celebrate a slightly lower hba1c test.
Dinner: Mutton chops, veggies, gravy.
Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, beer, water.
A well deserved celebration and congratulations on the lower HbA1c.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
received a call from the diabetic clinic they believe they do not have enough data to recommend an increase of my meds and that 10.1 is fine and worried about low BSL if they increase my Diamcron to 60mr she also said I didn't need to monitor my BSL so often but I advised I am doing low carb plus now on steroids.... so the nurse education wants me to record BSL again today then contact them if concern and talk to one of the educators I use to speak to when first diagnosed with steroid induced diabetes I think I will see how I go next few days and next week I drop my steroids levels weekly so will monitor over the next few days plus I have been eating more and yes I did eat yeah you guessed it more apple turnovers today...

breakfast had scrambled eggs and a bit of cheese 1/2 grilled tomato and black coffee
lunch yeah I ate the apple turnover .....
dinner salada biscuits with labna I also have left over steak so reheating it at the moment in the oven then will be making a beef Thai version salad well my recipe a bit of that and a bit of this lettuce.

if the weather smoke wasn't so bad with all the fires in my area I would go for a small walks but it is too smokey. tomorrow I have an appointment with a new GP to discuss my recent hospital admission and treatments etc.