What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never tried walking in groups - it sounds horrendous. I must admit that I ditched the poles as soon as I could walk unaided. Although I do think that they are an excellent aid for fitness - in my mind they were a symbol of my disability and my goal was to walk without them.

Also, in 2005 not that many people were using them and I got so many comments from people saying things like "don't you realise it's not snowing" I got quite fed up. I know it was because the movement pattern is similar to skiing but I still got fed up with it happening all the time.

Me too. I have started laughing and replying, "Yes, just about to go out and hit the slopes!" We have no real slopes here, but at least I have gotten over my initial reluctance to take them out in public and walk with them! Second big test of my courage may come tomorrow when I plan to walk with them to get a haircut and don't want to bother with my usual shopping cart.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.4 this morning. All I can say is, "Bin there? Done that!" and walk away dusting off my hands.
Bin samples below:

Neighborhood toughs:

CIMG5138.JPG

Local athletes' goal:

ff183dc573ca90b492a8a2350f14d6a6--street-basketball-creative-things.jpg

Taking the salute:

images

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was too scared to ride on the roads after that. Your cycle rides on heathland and forest Bridleways sound really lovely - and much safer than the roads.
They are when on bridleways or forest tracks but the 20 mile of purpose built singletrack for mountain bikers certainly isn't safer than the road but at least any crashes are my own fault and not caused by others :)

Reactions: HarryBeau

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw this on an Australian site (It’s Okay, not to be Okay) and thought of us:

“This 92-year-old, petite, well-poised and proud lady, who is fully dressed each morning by eight o’clock, with her hair fashionably coiffed and makeup perfectly applied, even though she is legally blind, moved to a nursing home yesterday. Her husband of 70 years recently passed away, making the move necessary.

After many hours of waiting patiently in the lobby of the nursing home, she smiled sweetly when told her room was ready. As she maneuvered her walker to the elevator, I provided a visual description of her tiny room, including the eyelet sheets that had been hung on her window. “I love it,” she stated with the enthusiasm of an eight-year-old having just been presented with a new puppy.

“Mrs. Jones, you haven’t seen the room …. just wait.”

“That doesn’t have anything to do with it,” she replied. “Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time. Whether I like my room or not doesn’t depend on how the furniture is arranged, it’s how I arrange my mind. I already decided to love it. It’s a decision I make every morning when I wake up. I have a choice;

I can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulty I have with the parts of my body that no longer work, or get out of bed and be thankful for the ones that do. Each day is a gift, and as long as my eyes open I’ll focus on the new day and all the happy memories I’ve stored away, just for this time in my life.”

She went on to explain, “Old age is like a bank account, you withdraw from what you’ve put in. So, my advice to you would be to deposit a lot of happiness in the bank account of memories Thank you for your part in filling my Memory bank. I am still depositing.”

And with a smile, she said: “Remember the five simple rules to be happy:

1. Free your heart from hatred.
2. Free your mind from worries.
3. Live simply.
4. Give more.
5. Expect less, & enjoy every moment.

Photograph by Karsten Thormaehlen”

View attachment 37037
Beautiful sentiments :)

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.9 this morning think the rise might have been due to celebrity mince pies that I ate after DN visit . She was very pleased said my results were excellent and now I can reduce my meds if I want ( this was when I mentioned the two very low numbers that I had experienced over the last month ( 3.4 ) . I am now going back to the normal metformin which will give me better control over how much I take . My cholesterol is looking far better than it has for a few years I did tell her that I was low carbing and eating loads of eggs meat and cheese, this didn't impress and just before I left she gave my yet another diabetic booklet and stressed the well plate ( carbs with every meal ) they just don't want to acknowledge low carbing .On the whole it was a good review and she doesn't want to see me for 6 months.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too. I have started laughing and replying, "Yes, just about to go out and hit the slopes!" We have no real slopes here, but at least I have gotten over my initial reluctance to take them out in public and walk with them! Second big test of my courage may come tomorrow when I plan to walk with them to get a haircut and don't want to bother with my usual shopping cart.
hope your walk with your poles goes well tomorrow. That's a really good reply to the comments about snow.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are when on bridleways or forest tracks but the 20 mile of purpose built singletrack for mountain bikers certainly isn't safer than the road but at least any crashes are my own fault and not caused by others :)
yes - I can certainly see that the purpose built single track for.mountain bikers may not be that safe as it is probably built for speed. I think I will stay with the static cycle in my lounge. The only problem is - where do I put all the coats that are usually draped all over it when I want to use it.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back in...catching up...welcome @Rockman, great name! Once we post our FBG here we are a chatty bunch here so hope you join in the fun.

trick60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all,
10.7 this morning @ 4:23 AM this machine any good?View attachment 37031

Hi Rockman, I use the accucheck nano which looks very similar to this one, it's seems ok, I think if you use the same machine for testing all the time then you're on a winner, maybe keep a second different one to check any wild readings you may get, I haven't bothered. I've found my nano to be reliable enough though, change batteries once a year and the strips set me back around 12 to 13 sovs for 50, and I test just the once in the morning which sets me out for how I eat for the day. I do occasionally test when I get home from work if I feel a bit low, just on the off chance of some cheese on toast to bring my numbers back up.
All the best pal.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes - I can certainly see that the purpose built single track for.mountain bikers may not be that safe as it is probably built for speed. I think I will stay with the static cycle in my lounge. The only problem is - where do I put all the coats that are usually draped all over it when I want to use it.

clothes_bike.jpg

This would be my kind of clothes horse, but they cost just a little more than test strips. :( --

bucas_freedomfly_pp1.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hope your walk with your poles goes well tomorrow. That's a really good reply to the comments about snow.

I admit it was my alternate plan after my initial reaction was more like:
"We live in a building full of old folks. Some of our neighbors get around with the help of walkers or canes of various types. Why on earth would you make a joke about a neighbor walking with the aid of two poles?"
I had to really make a conscious decision to think up the smiling "hitting the slopes" reply. :angelic: :banghead:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...tired I want to stay bed but off to work shortly...West Bromwich again today (was there Sunday) so a couple of hours driving ahead of me...cant decide which way M1 or A1(M) will think about that after coffee...woke to a 6.3

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 7.5 at 4am

The Xmas party was good yesterday, although the chef managed to massacre the food. I had chosen Xmas pud with custard. I was looking forward to that, but it was individual lumps of soggy rock and cold custard....

I hinted we might look for another venue next year...

But the company was good. We had a lot of laughs. Bottles of wine flowed, but alas not for me...just iced water for me as I was driving.

It was a long day 12 hours from leaving the house to returning in the dark. And I wasn’t looking forward to the early driving as the sun was very low in the sky, and the night driving coming home because of car headlights.

My eyes are not good with the low early morning blinding sun this time of year (been like this for some years now), and also for a long time now I have found it hard to see well to drive at night with oncoming headlights. I understand this is age related.

Anyway, with having the laser iridotomy earlier this year, and being told I had some other developing eye problems (which were not an issue yet), when I got home I thought I am going to try and fight this. But how?

I researched eye supplements. And what I found was recommendations that an eye supplement that gave 10mg Lutein in it besides whatever else was in the capsule was the way to go. There were a few different ones to choose from on Amazon, so I looked at reviews. And I chose Time Health Eye Complex7.

I knew from reading reviews that people were trying this supplement. And generally the reviews were written before they had been taking the capsules for long, so they didn’t know how effective it would be, but a few people said they thought it made a difference. And also a few people said their eyes had got no worse, and they were pleased with their subsequent eye tests.

It was mid May when I had the laser iridotomy. So, by beginning of June I started taking these Eye Complex7 eyes capsules. It is beginning of December now, so I have been taking them for 6 months. It was about 3 months in when I noticed the very dry eyes I have had for decades were now not as dry. Even eye drops haven’t really helped all these years. Six months after starting these capsules my dry eyes are the most comfortable they have been in decades.

Yesterday, I noticed another difference in my eyes. Driving into that early morning sun, about 20 mins of my route was directly into that blinding bright early morning sun, where normally it is difficult to see a thing. It didn’t have that effect on me yesterday morning. I didn’t have that increased sensitivity to glare. And I am thinking WOW, is this a direct result of me taking these eye capsules?

Coming home was in the dark. A long journey with car headlights coming at me. Then I realised the glare of the oncoming headlights didn’t affect me like they used to, they were not blinding, and I actually felt comfortable driving home in the dark. I had read that taking these eye capsules could help with this.

I also think my night time vision is better, that is when I go from my lit bungalow into the dark night time garden to look at the stars, my eyes have gone back to adjusting very quickly to the different light conditions.

So that is my story on how it appears these eye capsules are beneficial to me.

My next eye exam is in 6 months time, so I would be interested if the optician sees any improvement. And then there’s the retinopathy scan in 6 months as well.

No star gazing this morning...heavy cloud cover.

Have a good day.

Enjoy yourselves.

Hugs for those who need some.

Take care.

Last edited: