Losing weight fast - What to eat?

JLowth

Breakfast: Weetabix x2 with a little jug of skimmed milk. Lunch: Brown bread with mashed soft boiled egg, finely chopped onion and salad cream, a small salad of onions, a few small halved cherry tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and a few crisps. Dinner: Fish and chips with peas, tartar sauce, vinegar and tomato sauce. I’m very underweight and pre-diabetic lost 4.5 stone in 15 months was 11.968 stone now 7.401 stone. Can’t eat carbs or sugar but losing weight rapidly so what to eat??

JLowth

@JLowth - This is probably a topic for a thread of it's own, but if you lost weight without tying, is your Doc looking into that at all?

If you'd like to discuss that further, our exchange can be moved to make a new thread for that, rather than deflect here, but of course, you're very welcome to continue to join in with this thread.

Hello DCUK sorry about that can we start a new thread I’m new here and still finding my way?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JLowth - Has your current diet, where you've lost your weight, changed a lot from before?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Breakfast: Weetabix x2 with a little jug of skimmed milk. Lunch: Brown bread with mashed soft boiled egg, finely chopped onion and salad cream, a small salad of onions, a few small halved cherry tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and a few crisps. Dinner: Fish and chips with peas, tartar sauce, vinegar and tomato sauce. I’m very underweight and pre-diabetic lost 4.5 stone in 15 months was 11.968 stone now 7.401 stone. Can’t eat carbs or sugar but losing weight rapidly so what to eat??

Hi, You say that you can't eat carbs or sugar yet you are eating at least moderate carbs: Weetabix, Skimmed Milk, Bread, Onion, Salad Cream, Crisps, Chips plus any batter on the fish, Peas, Tomato Sauce !

Have you checked the total Carb and Sugar content of those either in Google or on the www.DietDoctor website ?

So unless your previous diet was very high Carb, then your current weight loss isn't due to cutting carbs.

Most people in here who cut carbs by much also increase consumption of 'traditional fats'. Though some are too frightened to do so eve though there is no real evidence that they either 'make you fat' (quite the contrary) or that they increase the risk of Heart problems.
So we would tend to have things like Eggs, Bacon, Kippers, Cheese, Cold Meats, or a few Berries with either double Cream or full-fat plain Yogurt for breakfast. And we wouldn't touch skimmed milk or anything low-fat.

Reactions: Tophat1900

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JLowth that is extensive weight loss - far too much, to be honest in that short a period without being on a very strict diet, which you are not. Your diet is also definitely NOT low carb, so pretty sure it's not that. Are you absolutely sure you are Type 2 and not a misdiagnosed Type 1? ? Sounds much more like that to be honest. Are you feeling physically well? Any health problems? I would definitely make an urgent appt with your GP to discuss the weight loss - there are lots and lots of non-diabetic reasons it could be happening.

JohnH2019

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One thing that many doctors overlook and have little clue about is the exocrine pancreas side. Many with diabetes will also have some impact on the exocrine function but rarely is it tested for and most will not even realize. Pancreas enzymes are needed to break down food into usable nutrients. I also was pre-diabetic and losing weight fast. I also had some, at the time unexplained, low values in vitamin D, testosterone, B12. Subsequent urine metabolic and stool tests uncovered many more nutrient deficiencies and exocrine pancreas issues.

Please ask your doctor to do stool tests such as pancreatic elastase and 24 hour fecal fat to check for exocrine pancreatic insufficiency or EPI.

Please check out the following thread as there might be an overlap:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/prediabetic-bg-but-underweight-seeking-advice.127304/

JohnH2019

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Regarding food, there is a lot of improvement that can be made as was already mentioned. There is a surprising amount of sugar and chemicals in what you are eating. Are you eating enough healthy fats? Perhaps add some nuts, seeds, avocado, real cheese as snacks. You can add more non-starchy vegetables everywhere.

Do you know how many calories you need per day, as it can also be that you eat too few calories. When I started down the primal route I ate too few calories as well. Cutting out packaged food and a lot of starchy, wheaty foods leaves a large hole in total calories that needs to be filled.

The books that helped me with lifestyle and food changes are mentioned here:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/primal-paleo-keto-healing-books.163638/