The Future is Here...

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope these places don't just provide low carb cakes, biscuits and breads but develop more savoury items. A low carb pork pie, that would be a thing of wonder!
Yes but what about low carb mince pies? I haven’t had a mince pie this year. Normally I would have eaten a few packs of them by now.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes but what about low carb mince pies? I haven’t had a mince pie this year. Normally I would have eaten a few packs of them by now.
Last time I ate a mince pie about three years after abstaining since diagnosis, was when I scoffed one out of the pack my husband had bought, and it tasted absolutely VILE! :(:(

However, here's a suitable mince pie recipe from one of our own (but now ex??) members:
http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/search?q=mince+pies

One of the best things I ever did as soon as I got the hang of low carb was to adapt my baking recipes to be low carb, but I've never tried my hand at mince pies...

Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

But sadly not at all like what I'd consider to be real one:
TELEMMGLPICT000001577927_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfy2dmClwgbjjulYfPTELibA.jpeg

Reactions: jjraak

Hotpepper20000

Last time I ate a mince pie about three years after abstaining since diagnosis, was when I scoffed one out of the pack my husband had bought, and it tasted absolutely VILE! :(:(

However, here's a suitable mince pie recipe from one of our own (but now ex??) members:

One of the best things I ever did as soon as I got the hang of low carb was to adapt my baking recipes to be low carb, but I've never tried my hand at mince pies...

Robbity
I agree. We are so fortunate now to have the World Wide Web and it so way to find low carb recipes.

Reactions: Listlad and jjraak

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Robbity
Haha. You know, I might just have a go at these... :D

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope these places don't just provide low carb cakes, biscuits and breads but develop more savoury items. A low carb pork pie, that would be a thing of wonder!

Well you can get those mini ones at 13 carbs per pie, (shush, they are my little treat!). x

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well you can get those mini ones at 13 carbs per pie, (shush, they are my little treat!). x
If you are going to have normal pork pie as a treat then a slice of a big one probably has a better pork to pastry ratio and therefore less carbs. Of course having one small slice is impossible and it is the hot water crust pastry and the jelly that's the best bit. I am feeling depressed now!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

For some of us just the phrase "pork pie" screams all kinds of,.... "NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo!"

Vile, vile, vile.

I was never a fan of pastry, except filo-ish, so hot water crust plus the pork pie innards just :hungover::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agreed, but also the point is that I would like to be able to just buy one.
Exactly. We dont all have surplus time to spend in the kitchen.

My wife and I have been cooking keto type stuff at the weekend as it is the only time we have to do that. We have recently been doing keto cheesecake, one in coffee and the other chocolate. They weren’t bad. Maybe this weekend we will try something else. Probably not pork pie though as I rarely ate it in the past. A keto cornish pasty would be appealing though.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly. We dont all have surplus time to spend in the kitchen.

My wife and I have been cooking keto type stuff at the weekend as it is the only time we have to do that. We have recently been doing keto cheesecake, one in coffee and the other chocolate. They weren’t bad. Maybe this weekend we will try something else. Probably not pork pie though as I rarely ate it in the past. A keto cornish pasty would be appealing though.
Many people use fathead pizza dough for a "pastry" substitute..I've seen sausage rolls made of it and I can't see any reason why it wouldn't also work for pork pies or cornish pasty..

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many people use fathead pizza dough for a "pastry" substitute..I've seen sausage rolls made of it and I can't see any reason why it wouldn't also work for pork pies or cornish pasty..
I have also seen a Low Dough. Seems a bit expensive but might be handy for sausage rolls, pork pies, Cornish pasties etc especially as a treat for those who want to eat such food types but on a low carb footing.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have also seen a Low Dough. Seems a bit expensive but might be handy for sausage rolls, pork pies, Cornish pasties etc especially as a treat for those who want to eat such food types but on a low carb footing.
THat's why I suggested fat head.. it's cheap and can be easily made at home.

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So in the not too distant future, all T2 diabetics and pre diabetics will be given the latest Freestyle Libre which will be the size of a UK 5p piece. Others including those who aren’t diagnosed - the rest of the population will be able to buy them at a very affordable price and with a changing attitude to current eating habits will wear them as a fashion accessory each with wifi capability. Watching ones blood sugars will be an every day occurrence for everyone, like had never been seen in the past. Hi carb meals and snacks will have become just as unfashionable as petrol driven cars and cigarettes.

There will be a couple of chains of low carb cafes providing low carb options in towns up and down the country and at motorway service stations and airports too. The nation will be gripped with low carb high fat eating and individuals will be able to decide just how much fat they wish to carry.

When will this happen. Maybe not so far away as we think? :D

Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So in the not too distant future, all T2 diabetics and pre diabetics will be given the latest Freestyle Libre which will be the size of a UK 5p piece. Others including those who aren’t diagnosed - the rest of the population will be able to buy them at a very affordable price and with a changing attitude to current eating habits will wear them as a fashion accessory each with wifi capability. Watching ones blood sugars will be an every day occurrence for everyone, like had never been seen in the past. Hi carb meals and snacks will have become just as unfashionable as petrol driven cars and cigarettes.

There will be a couple of chains of low carb cafes providing low carb options in towns up and down the country and at motorway service stations and airports too. The nation will be gripped with low carb high fat eating and individuals will be able to decide just how much fat they wish to carry.

When will this happen. Maybe not so far away as we think? :D

Don't forget to include the type 1s for the Libre!!! It's a myth that we all have been given one, most of us haven't x