AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I absolutely agree @JenniferW. Hunger is largely hormone controlled and there are individual and family responses to different levels and types of food, and goodness knows there is a huge variation amongst us in that lot.

I come from a family on my father's side with infamously high levels of hunger, one of my (naturally tall and lean, which I am supposed to be) bro's nicknames was 'Hollow legs' in his capacity to eat lots and still be hungry, which is similar to me. Coming from a longline of 'hollow leg'ged forbears I would say.

I think the gut biome is a big part of the picture too, and I follow news and studies on this issue with great interest. I believe it to be gut biome issues that set me apart from my non-diabetic family members early on and set me on the ill-health path, for instance.

Some folks just feel hunger very keenly! As one of those folks, but with insulin resistance very bad, going hungry is an integral part of my treatment. (The most I have gone is 10 days without eating, for instance, to bring my insulin down closer to normal.) I don't like it, but it definitely gets easier. But no, for me, the hunger response never goes away. I can just deal with it a whole lot better now from all the experience. And for me the role of food as fuel is made most clear by fasting - as I just cannot be physically active or do very much at all apart from some brain activity when fasting.

I find eating eggs, meat, fat and dairy products to be very filling. I personally could not fathom being very low carb on a vegetarian or vegan diet, as I would just be too hungry without the carb-laden fillers. I see vegetables as delightful and nutritious garnish! But again - we are all very different in all these things on what food rocks our boat, and our hunger and satiety responses.

Reactions: jpscloud

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to be hungry in the mornings - but I got really overheated and dehydrated one day in August.
I was able to get hold of some water eventually, recovered and did not feel much different, but since then my appetite has reduced right down, and often I go some time without eating. I feel this is unusual and may not be right - but I can't seem to do anything about it. I expect, eventually, the consequences will be revealed - one thing which has happened is a whole string of colds and infections, which of course may or may not be a result. Another thing is that the artificial sweeteners in the sugar free jellies now taste so much stronger, and I cannot find a cheap gelatin to substitute for it.
Nothing stays the same.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I absolutely agree @JenniferW. ... I find eating eggs, meat, fat and dairy products to be very filling. I personally could not fathom being very low carb on a vegetarian or vegan diet, ....

All that's different for me - as a vegetarian - is that there's no meat. I was vegetarian, and vegan, at earlier periods of my life but was eating all and everything when I was diagnosed T2. But I then cut out all meat (and fish) because of hyperuricemia problems, and it's made a big positive difference, so I'll stay with it.

Reactions: AloeSvea