Help for dealing with insulin resistance?

emmalou1990

Hi all,
I’ve recently become very insulin resistant after a period of stress and a 2 week virus. My sugars were ok during the virus surprisingly, but now they seem to be all over the place. I seem to be very resistant in the morning and afternoon, where my usual 1:10 ratio does nothing and I end up with a higher bg than before eating. In the evening I seem to become very insulin sensitive and this has lead to frequent hypos.
I’m slightly scared about increasing my insulin dose so much in case I hypo...any tips on whether any of you have had a period like this and how you dealt with it would be much appreciated! It’s been lasting around 2-3 weeks now.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This has happened a few times over the years.......

the best thing to do is basal test and adjust the dose up by smaller increments if you are scared of hypos....

this is just standard practice dose adjustment although I realise not everyone has the experience or knowledge..

Reactions: kaylz91

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As above I'd do a basal test first and see if that's possibly needing increased, if that keeps you level then look at changing your meal time ratios xx

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @emmalou1990 To be honest this is me every day - I am insulin resistant in the morning so take an increased bolus/carb ratio which drops as the day goes on, and I become very sensitive to insulin by the evening, basal testing as already suggested is a good place to start, also do you use the libre so are you able to monitor it more carefully ?

emmalou1990

the best thing to do is basal test and adjust the dose up by smaller increments if you are scared of hypos....

this is just standard practice dose adjustment although I realise not everyone has the experience or knowledge..
Hello @emmalou1990 To be honest this is me every day - I am insulin resistant in the morning so take an increased bolus/carb ratio which drops as the day goes on, and I become very sensitive to insulin by the evening, basal testing as already suggested is a good place to start, also do you use the libre so are you able to monitor it more carefully ?
Did it all of a sudden come on? I have a Dexcom which has helped but unsure if it’s good for the anxiety!

emmalou1990

Thank you - am planning on basal testing ASAP.