Diabetic retinopathy and driving

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm T2 on insulin and have been for about 12 years now. My diabetic control is good now, but hasn't been so in the past, hence diabetic retinopathy and CKD. I've had a lot of laser work on the back of both eyes, leaving some scarring. I've also had cataracts removed from both eyes. I'm short sighted so wear glasses for driving and distance. I recently bought a new pair of glasses from well known optician, with a filter in to stop headlights "flaring" so badly at night. I try to avoid driving in the dark if I possibly can, because my night sight isn't good in any case. Last night I had to drive home in the dark and found, if anything, the flaring seemed worse! I'm going to go back to the opticians today and have the glasses checked, but has anyone else had this problem, and have they managed to find a solution? Thanks for any help.

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
Hi, I have a similar thing. I am pending cataract removal and at my last screening they said that my eyes are at the early stages of being affected by diabetes. Not sure if the two are connected?

Anyway, I am photophobic and I don't like driving at night because of the oncoming headlights. My solution is to ask my wife to drive, although she may turn you down!

I changed from a chain of opticians to an independent who deals with Carl Zeiss lens, they get my vote.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I took myself off the road when my retinopathy caused a bleed. I was never formally advised not to drive but knew that my distance vision had been compromised (following corrective surgery I could not longer see the 5th line of the sight chart which I believe is the legal requirement for driving.
Floaters can come and go and may not make you unsafe to drive but I would think you need to know if your retinopathies are stable or progressing in either eye. Mine was very unstable post pregnancy and the laser treatment failed to stop the bleeding hence the loss of sight in 1 eye and then the other.
You may be at a very early stage of the process but it is up to us diabetics,especially on insulin, to ensure we are safe for driving!

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you Dumfries and Nicole for your answers - I've had retinopathy for about 7 or 8 years and have not had to have any more laser treatment for the last three years, so it seems fairly stable, but I have a small blind spot in the worst affected eye.
I'm actually going to go to the opticians today as I was offered the Zeiss lenses, but was told that their own brand was comparable - and cheaper! Most of the time I can get out of driving at night, but sometimes I have to! But I'm not going to unless I can see properly - I dont want to endanger myself or others! My vision is ok in daylight with glasses for driving. I also had a vitriol haemorrhage in my good eye, which I had operated on a few years ago, and regained almost better sight in that eye than I had before!

Dumfries, diabetes increases progression of cataracts, I had the first one out at 42years old, and the second at about 52yrs. They took the first one out earlier than usual so they could get to the back of the eye to laser the leaky blood vessels.

Wish I'd looked after myself when I first found out I was diabetic!!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @francesk ,

One thing to consider regarding night driving is the condition of your vehicles windscreen? (& for that matter driver & passenger windows.)
Decent wipers & washers including screen wash can help, but a smear free "crystal" interior screen can cut the glare.

The issue could be your glasses ("polarised?") lenses maybe ok on their own but having difficulty with the scattering light hitting the windscreen?

I apreciate it gets cold this time of year, but directing a vehicles AC at the screen helps dry any moisture too. Thus cutting potential dazzle.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
Dumfries, diabetes increases progression of cataracts, I had the first one out at 42years old, and the second at about 52yrs. They took the first one out earlier than usual so they could get to the back of the eye to laser the leaky blood vessels.

Wish I'd looked after myself when I first found out I was diabetic!!

Thats interesting as I do have the start of a cataract in my other eye. It was because the operation could not be undertaken due to high hba1c test that I have gone on to lchf eating, and trying the 16:8 diet.

I am far from rich, but when someone says that their own brand of lens are just as good as Zeiss, they're misguided. Zeiss also do a lens specifically for driving. I hope it not to late to get them, assuming you're not put off by the price. You do pay through the nose, and that hurts.

Wishing you all the very best.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you are going to get your eyes checked.

Recently had a friend (without diabetes) who had the same flaring and problems with night vision that you describe, which were resolved with cataract ops on both eyes. She describes the improvement as 'miraculous'.

So I hope your optician can offer some advice/treatment that will help.

Reactions: DumfriesDik

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have now had the Zeiss lenses put in my glasses, but haven't really had to drive in the dark yet - they seemed to work well on a dull, rainy day with drivers with headlights on, but the real test will be in the dark!