Cold remedies

Flamingo74

I’m T2 500mg Merformin daily. Last HBa1C in October was 37.

I am generally well but have the usual winter cold/sore throat. What are people taking to soothe these symptoms whilst avoiding sugary lozenges and syrupy cough mixtures?

I’m taking paracetamol for the aches and headache.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For clearing the sinuses and soothing a sore throat I do steam inhalation - basically just breathing over a pot of hot (not boiling) water. I usually add a few drops of Olbas Oil, or some lavender essential oil, or even a bit of Vicks VapoRub.

This autumn I made some "Fire Cider" - garlic, ginger, lemon and chilli peppers steeped in cider vinegar for a couple of weeks - and taking a spoonful of that (diluted in water) at the first sign of a sore throat helped with it not developing further.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Gargling warm salt water

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Whisky and pickled onions (or so the GP told my Dad).

Reactions: bigjim19

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't take any cold/flu remedies due to potentially very dangerous interactions with meds I take so I use steam inhalations several times during the day, normal saline nasal drops, drink lots of warm fluids, plenty of fresh air ;)

My worst time is when I get middle ear infections (most times with a simple cold), go very deaf taking 3 months to resolve so even wearing my hearing aids doesn't help, so tend to get rather keen on the steam inhalations.

Oh, and Paracetamol ocassionally. Fortunately, I don't get colds too often, certainly no more than annually ( hope not famous last words ;) )

Hope you feel better very soon

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
Being honest anything that you would normally take ! to hell with it why feel miserable