Diabetes appointment anxiety?!

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had so-called 'white-coat' syndrome causing higher BP results when measured at the diabetic clinic for years. Fortunately, the current consultant accepts that since the figures reported by my GP are fine, it is just the stress of a hospital appointment.

However, if you really don't get on with a consultant or a particular junior doctor, do something about it. You can ask to see someone else in future. Asking to see a different doctor was one of the best things I have ever done. I had been lumbered with repeatedly seeing someone who didn't listen and was consequently useless to me. Now, I talk to someone who asks questions, asks if I have tried a particular strstegy to solve a problem and takes me seriously.
If you gain nothing from the appointment, something needs to be changed.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
ok i know i will be shot down in flames after saying this but I am dam**d if they are going to spy on me so I "forget" my meter. I want to be the one in control after all it is my body. I am not convinced that the medical profession know exactly what they are doing and after all, they have my Hba1c result! If i choose to have something naughty occasionally it is my choice and none of anyone else's business. OK now you can all go mad at me lol x

No one is going to go mad at you, its is your choice to "forget" your meter. BUT do you really think they are spying on you? Your diabetic team are there to help you, not to judge or spy on you. I just feel its sad that you feel like this towards people that are there to help you!

Reactions: Swillbos

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to hate my visits to see my diabetic consultant 50 years ago I never saw a consultant, just an intern they never new about diabetics and one said he only new the night before that he had to see diabetics so he read a book filled me with confidence, another time some 20 years later, I was told to be at the hospital at 8 am twenty of us all with the same appointment time by 1.30 pm we were starting to drop with low blood sugers, I had to get a nurse and tell her we would all be dead soon she did manage to get us some biscuits but 2 people had to be admitted, I got out at 2.30 pm and then got hit by a car my fault I walked straight into the road, the driver of the car said I will take you to the hospital, I said no thanks and hobbled down the road as fast as I could, I left the UK shortly afterwards, for the last 25 years I have seen the same consultant here in France and it has always been a pleasure and she has helped me with all my problems, so if you find a good consultant they will help you with any and all your problems without judgment