Low blood sugar

When my blood goes low I usually drink some pure orange juice and then eat some digestive biscuits, I’ve realised recently I get a belly ache after I’ve drank the orange and just wondering to what others use. I don’t really like apple juice but will drink if I have to, thank you!!!

Reactions: MattH892

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Usually I eat sweets like winegums or licorice, but I've used many other things as well.
If you like the taste of orange juice when hypo you could also dilute it with water and drink more of it.

Reactions: Samanthajayne98

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
When my blood goes low I usually drink some pure orange juice and then eat some digestive biscuits, I’ve realised recently I get a belly ache after I’ve drank the orange and just wondering to what others use. I don’t really like apple juice but will drink if I have to, thank you!!!

Glucojuice, - each container holds 15g of carbohydrate. A 100ml mixer size can of coke has about 16g of carbs.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Full sugar cola or lemonade? Jelly babies are always suggested by my nurse.

robtheslob

I found tablets called "glucotabs juicy raspberry fast acting glucose" a few years ago. I didn't like sugar tablets before these because they took too long, but these ones work instantly and is far faster than getting food. If I have a low blood sugar when driving, I know if I pop one or two of them I'll be right as rain. Highly recommend them, I believe they're 80p in the chemist and are worth paying for. There's 10 tablets in each capsule and they have 3.7 grams of carbs in each tablet. Here is a photo attached to this post.

Attachments

• gluco.jpg
    gluco.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 347
Reactions: porl69 and Carl W

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I take lucozade tablets or Glucotabs usually. I’ve been using them for 20 years now and they never fail me. Also glucogel which is available from GP or some still lucozade or a handful of sweets, whatever sugary stuff is lying around!! X

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Glucotabs or Starbursts if I do fall into a hypo - if I catch it falling sharply on my Libre I'll try to stop it with a biscuit.