What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yesterday was a funny old day - I ended up spending a couple of hours minding some foster kids while their foster Mum was blue lighted to hospital with chest pains. Best bit was the social services woman took TWO HOURS to turn up then proceeded to tell me off because I haven't got a current police check thingy. (Mine ran our a couple of years ago.) Heavens knows what these four kids would have done if they came home and find their foster mum not there. When I asked why she hadn't turned up earlier when the paramedic first made the call to her she said she'd been busy. :banghead::banghead:

So, yesterday.....

Wednesday Bed: 5.7

Thursday FBG: 7.4

Breakfast: 2 eggs, cream and cheese omelette and Advent calendar cheese (total 1.5g)
2 hours after: 7.9

Lunch: 5.9
(very late) Bit of cheese out of neighbours fridge
2 hours after: 5.1

Dinner: 5.7
Butternut Squash, aubergine, mushrooms and a few cherry plum tomatoes all roasted in garlic olive oil then crumbled feta over
2 hours after: 5.8 (will definitely have that dinner again!)

Bed: 6.1

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday was a funny old day - I ended up spending a couple of hours minding some foster kids while their foster Mum was blue lighted to hospital with chest pains. Best bit was the social services woman took TWO HOURS to turn up then proceeded to tell me off because I haven't got a current police check thingy. (Mine ran our a couple of years ago.) Heavens knows what these four kids would have done if they came home and find their foster mum not there. When I asked why she hadn't turned up earlier when the paramedic first made the call to her she said she'd been busy. :banghead::banghead:

So, yesterday.....

Breakfast: 2 eggs, cream and cheese omelette and Advent calendar cheese (total 1.5g)

Butternut Squash, aubergine, mushrooms and a few cherry plum tomatoes all roasted in garlic olive oil then crumbled feta over

You just couldn't make it up.

Well done for being a good Samaritan. You have my utmost respect.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb - I know I'm not the best person to give BG advice, but do you think you might have a bad case of Dawn Phenomenon? This post of yours does make me wonder if eating earlier might suit your BG more. I suffer with DP a lot and it got worse after I was put on insulin. The only way I can deal with it is, as soon as possible after I wake up, I have to eat a very low carb, fatty, protein rich breakfast to stop my BG rising any further (or to slow it down quite a bit). I find the more fat/protein breakfast I eat first thing, the less my BG rises and the easier it is to manage for the rest of the day. I never used to enjoy breakfast but I find that if I skip breakfast or don't eat much of it my BG just keeps on rising until early afternoon and then slowly comes back down a bit but stays high for the rest of the day. It might be worth a try.

I do have quite alarming results sometimes until I've eaten (and taken insulin).. I thought today I would try just tea and a mug of beef broth until quite late on and see what that does. But you may well be right. Trouble is, eating first thing probably means I can't only have one meal a day , unless I make it a proper, full meal (low carb, of course) so the IF will go out the window. But it may be a solution. Especially now it is fully winter and food does give a bit extra heat.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Social workers are busy people, I know, but you have to wonder sometimes exactly what their priorities are - is it "procedure", managing the workload, or safeguarding children? I have seen quite a few instances where I could have boxed the ears of some social workers, if I were a violent type. Admitting to mistakes is not a strong point.

Well done for taking charge in an emergency and for standing up for yourself when challenged.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The social worker waffled on that their foster father should have come back from work ASAP - but I'd phoned him and he's a long distance lorry driver and was in Holland collecting a load. I got so annoyed by her attitude that i decided to take it further up the food chain today and just got off the phone to her boss. :banghead: It seems that because the four kids are in Care anyone looking after them MUST have a current police check because if they haven't the Local Authority could get in to trouble. I was verr curtly told that the thing to do next time I'm worried about children being left alone is to phone the Police. Like they haven't got enough to do.

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social workers are busy people, I know, but you have to wonder sometimes exactly what their priorities are - is it "procedure", managing the workload, or safeguarding children? I have seen quite a few instances where I could have boxed the ears of some social workers, if I were a violent type. Admitting to mistakes is not a strong point.

Well done for taking charge in an emergency and for standing up for yourself when challenged.

their reason was 'safeguarding '.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Woke up early today as had to get ready for an appointment to see new GP

Breakfast scrambled eggs and half a diet doctor microwaved bread with butter and black coffee. My morning BSL was 5.7mmol/l.

Had an appointment with the new GP today and it turned out better than expected she was very understanding and thorough about my recent hospitalization my treatment and everything that has happened recently. She also understood when explained my anxiety seeing new GP and sad and angry about my doctor being sick. I Need to have to have more bloods test next week make sure treatment is helping my CRP abd levels. She then wants me to revisit her after I see my Gastroenterologist in January for follow up on my progress. But she wanta me back on statins but I refused as my triglycerides and HDL cholesterol levels are in good levels since stopping my statins although LDL slightly high.

But i forgot to bring up my concerns about my BSL had to much to talk about so fiegot about that.

I tested 4 hours again BSL was 9.6 mmol/L And another hour later raise to 11.4 mmol/L.

After I Popped into the shops for a few things and came home. was hungry so ate but to much food I wished didn't eat. Plus think I may have waited to long to eat so overrate.

Dinner had steak with salad and indulged in icecream. I'm really having issues with sweets at the moment and I've put on some weight I know its a combination from the steroids stress I believe is making me do this.

I never rang the diabetic educator today as I will be tapering down from 40mg to 30mg next week so thought see how my BSL is
Going by then, then will contact them. Because over 10mmol/L I don't think is good I know its a combination of steroids and my food choices why my BSL is raising. Even when eating LCHF its still spiking.

Its after midnight now and I'm slowly drifting to sleep so need to get up to go to bed otherwise I'm sleeping on the lounge haha and my body want like that if I do haha.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek

So, yesterday.....

Wow can't believe what the social worker said and also making you wait 2 hours before showing up. But it was good that you were there to help otherwise what would of happened to the foster kids having no one around at the time.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
their reason was 'safeguarding '.

But safeguarding what? Neither social workers nor police have any justification for chastising you for taking control in a difficult situation. You were doing the safeguarding until more official help could take over.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@annabell1 - I thought the same.

@Annb - I don't think theyd really thought it through. I got the feeling they were just covering their behinds in case someone complained. Safeguarding was a word that both of them said. Maybe its a bit of a buzz word in children services nowadays.

BTW, the foster mum is okay but still in hospital.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do have quite alarming results sometimes until I've eaten (and taken insulin).. I thought today I would try just tea and a mug of beef broth until quite late on and see what that does. But you may well be right. Trouble is, eating first thing probably means I can't only have one meal a day , unless I make it a proper, full meal (low carb, of course) so the IF will go out the window. But it may be a solution. Especially now it is fully winter and food does give a bit extra heat.

Ann - Would just some bone broth or such like help in the morning, rather than more of an eating session?

Reactions: ziggy_w and Chook

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ann - Would just some bone broth or such like help in the morning, rather than more of an eating session?

That's another route to try. FBG this morning was 8.8 and later it was 11.1. I had a cheese omelette at about 11 am, after 34 units of Humilin S and then 1 Metformin. BG at 12.30 was 9.5 - hopeful. A mug of veg broth at that point. Checked again at 3 pm - 11.5. Not so good. That's on almost zero carbs. ATM my insides are burning and I feeling a bit wonky. No going out for me tonight. Start again tomorrow.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's another route to try. FBG this morning was 8.8 and later it was 11.1. I had a cheese omelette at about 11 am, after 34 units of Humilin S and then 1 Metformin. BG at 12.30 was 9.5 - hopeful. A mug of veg broth at that point. Checked again at 3 pm - 11.5. Not so good. That's on almost zero carbs. ATM my insides are burning and I feeling a bit wonky. No going out for me tonight. Start again tomorrow.

How about just something light, as soon as you can face it after getting up, to try to halt the rise.

I'm fortunate not to have experienced DP too badly.

To be absolutely clear, I am not telling you to do anything, but I have read of a number of T1s who take a very small dose of bolus when they get up, with a view to halting DP.

If I recall correctly, @LooperCat does and I think @Juicyj does too. They might have something to add, perhaps.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening. Very short post from me as I’ve come down with this dreaded lurgy ( just a cold in reality) and Im feeling rubbish.
1/2 avocado with a few prawns and spoonful of mayo with hot sauce around lunchtime. Apart from that I’ve been drinking hot water with a slice of fresh ginger and lemon and a bit of tea.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. What a sad indictment of the lack of common sense your story is @Chook. My food today: B=tea; 20 gms double Gloucester, 2 packs crackling, from advent calendars (didn't eat yesterday's). CWC in a supermarket. Evening tried out new air fryer - marinated lamb chops, halloumi chips with small leafy salad and little mayo. Ingredients good, equipment ok but disappointing - needs lots of work/learning. Bad idea to start with lamb chops - never a fave of mine. Crispy skin is a long way off . Do you cut it off and cook it separately while the meat rests? Didn't spoil salmon or steak so maybe a good place to start.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. What a sad indictment of the lack of common sense your story is @Chook. My food today: B=tea; until lunch 20 gms double Gloucester and 2 packs crackling, maybe 1 oz, from advent calendars (didn't eat yesterday's). Late afternoon CWC in a supermarket (taking back a double order toy and buying almond milk for trip to Southampton) Evening tries out new air fryer - marinated lamb chops, halloumi chips with small leafy salad and little mayo. Ingredients good and equipment ok but disappointing - obviously needs lots of work/learning. Probably a really bad idea to start with lamb chops never a fave of mine - crispy skin is a long way off. Do you cut it off and cook it separately while the meat rests?

No fat cut off the meat at all. Did you use the meat setting defaults, or set the temperature and time manually? A bit like with normal rendering, we'll often start the meat off a bit lower to get the fat moving, then ramp it up towards the end.

Funnily enough I was thinking of you this morning, in ASDA of all places.

I was looking at non-dairy milks, as I'm considering DF for a while, but can't quite persuade myself over the line. Anyway, they seem to be selling an Alpro Barista range, which they claim foams. Have you tried them at all, in either of your frothing machines?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening. Very short post from me as I’ve come down with this dreaded lurgy ( just a cold in reality) and Im feeling rubbish.
1/2 avocado with a few prawns and spoonful of mayo with hot sauce around lunchtime. Apart from that I’ve been drinking hot water with a slice of fresh ginger and lemon and a bit of tea.
Sorry to hear about the lurgy..the only thing to comfort you is get it out of the way before Christmas! Stay warm and hydrated. Hugs.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No fat cut off the meat at all. Did you use the meat setting defaults, or set the temperature and time manually? A bit like with normal rendering, we'll often start the meat off a bit lower to get the fat moving, then ramp it up towards the end.

Funnily enough I was thinking of you this morning, in ASDA of all places.

I was looking at non-dairy milks, as I'm considering DF for a while, but can't quite persuade myself over the line. Anyway, they seem to be selling an Alpro Barista range, which they claim foams. Have you tried them at all, in either of your frothing machines?
Not tried the Alpro barista range at home but costa use it I think and their lattes are foamy. Will look for it in the supermarkets near us. For the lamb we followed this recipe https://forktospoon.com/air-fryer-herbed-lamb-chops/ set the temperature ourselves.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook I am mystified why there is no common sense in these situations! You are the person who the “authorities” should be so grateful to for helping out and saving resources like the tens of thousands of carers. The children would probably have been distressed to go off with police officers and you were an amazing surrogate gran. I just dont understand what goes on but well done you and you know what those kids will remember your kindness.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not tried the Alpro barista range at home but costa use it I think and their lattes are foamy. Will look for it in the supermarkets near us. For the lamb we followed this recipe https://forktospoon.com/air-fryer-herbed-lamb-chops/ set the temperature ourselves.

Hmmmmm. My knee jerk reaction to that recipe would be it's way too little time, or the chops must have been extremely thin.

The air fryer is a bit faster, but not super quick, in my experience.