Rice

Angengray

Hi everyone
Please can you give me any ideas on the safest rice for a type 2 diabetic ? I went too extreme on carb cutting lost alot of weight now I have Afib :( a little scary as I was only diagnosed in May this year. Need to up my carbs a bit and was wondering if any kind of rice I moderate I could use.thanks.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife eats a lot of rice. One of the things she does to improve the texture is to wash the rice thoroughly first. This seems to get rid of a lot of starch. This must surely reduce the carb effect of the rice.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could I ask why you think upping the carbs would help with atrial fibrilation? New one on me...

hyponilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cauliflower rice is a great low carb alternative with just 5g of carbs per 100g. Cheap and easy to make. You could mix it in with normal rice depending on what carb count you were after.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have often been told that eating carbs is the only way to stay healthy - over and over again. I think they actually believe it, but it is rather cruel to suggest that a serious medical problem such as atrial fibrillation is caused by not eating rice - I'd strongly advise getting a second opinion on that.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone
Please can you give me any ideas on the safest rice for a type 2 diabetic ? I went too extreme on carb cutting lost alot of weight now I have Afib :( a little scary as I was only diagnosed in May this year. Need to up my carbs a bit and was wondering if any kind of rice I moderate I could use.thanks.
@Angengray sorry to hear about your Afib - my husband has it but his is controlled by drugs which, unfortunately, cause other problems. Have they managed to find the cause yet? Re rice I occasionally have a small amount which I cook, swill thoroughly under a cold tap and then reheat - I find this doesn’t raise my BS too much. However I seem to be able to tolerate more carbs than a lot if forum members and have managed to maintain my hba1c in non-diabetic levels for 7 years on between 100 - 130g per day. Have you got a monitor so that you can see the effect rice will have?

Reactions: angustia and Diakat

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone

Brown rice. It's lesser carbs than the other types and you get soluble fiber from it.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wild rice is ok for me BG wise, and I like it very much, but it's horribly expensive.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not clear on why you are associating Afib with drastic carb cutting?
If you want to cut carbs maybe do half cauli rice and half brown rice. My kids don't notice if I do this!
Think small palm sized amount rather than your typical curry house heap, and fill up on the good stuff - veg, meat, fish etc.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ironically weight loss helps against Afib apparently.

JohnH2019

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you looked into supplements like Ubiquinol (CoQ10), carnitine, magnesium? Have you checked whether you are deficient in any nutrients? Eating enough healthy fats?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ironically weight loss helps against Afib apparently.
It didn't help me against Afib. However I suspect that reducing one's bg may help against vagal AF. Raised bg can damage all nerves, including the vagal nerve.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My wife eats a lot of rice. One of the things she does to improve the texture is to wash the rice thoroughly first. This seems to get rid of a lot of starch. This must surely reduce the carb effect of the rice.
Yes, I have read articles by Asian doctors on how to help Asian diabetics moderate their carb intake in a food culture that is based on rice. They suggest rinsing the rice before and after cooking to get rid of a lot of the starch.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I have read articles by Asian doctors on how to help Asian diabetics moderate their carb intake in a food culture that is based on rice. They suggest rinsing the rice before and after cooking to get rid of a lot of the starch.
I didn’t know about the rinsing after.

In the past we have always bought Jasmine rice. “Popular for its fragrance, the sweet aroma of jasmine rice highly resembles the scent of pandan leaves. When cooked, jasmine rice is stickier than other long-grain rice. It also has a distinct soft, moist texture and a slightly sweet flavor. White rice, on the other hand, is a general term referring to a rice variant”

Either of us cooked it, rinsing it before cooking in a rice cooker. The outcome was a very nice rice.

I have stopped eating it full stop. My wife eats less of it now. When cooking it in the future for her I will try and rinse it through after cooking too.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not clear on why you are associating Afib with drastic carb cutting?
The association has been made, and I have seen it advised not to cut carbs too quickly in order to avoid possible AF. This article reports an association between low carb diet and AF in general, not just when the diet is started suddenly. https://www.healio.com/cardiology/a...l-fibrillation-more-likely-with-low-carb-diet
However I began suffering from intermittent AF many years ago when I was consistently eating a Mediterranean style diet high in fruit and quite low in fat, certainly pretty high in carbs.
Diet Doctor has written a passionate attack on the contention that low carb leads to AF. However, given my history, I can't go along with his contention that low carb protects against AF.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/inaccurate-news-stories-suggest-low-carb-causes-atrial-fibrillation

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone
The answer to maintaining weight or regaining it is to add fats and proteins not carbs. Also make sure your electrolytes (magnesium potassium as well as sodium) are in order as they can mess up quite a lot including heart rhythms if deficient enough.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
brown rice is 77 percent carb and white is 80 percent - that is hardly worth considering, really.
I don't agree with that, unless your on keto, eating brown rice is a good alternative to white.

My bloods don't spike on a bit of brown rice but do on white rice becUse it takes longer to break down so the carb release is longer. In being longer it allows the body to motabolise it over time and avoid blood spiking.

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
brown rice is 77 percent carb and white is 80 percent - that is hardly worth considering, really.

For how much rice?

It is still high in carbs, especially so if we're on a very low carb diet.
However, I'm simply answering the question posted by the author. She wants to up her carb intake.
She mentioned "moderate," which I take she means eating rice in moderation.

In the end - it'll be up to her to decide what's worth considering in her situation.

Along with advising caution (which have been given already), it's better to also provide the answer to her actual question, imho.

Besides, we all act differently to certain carbs.
I can eat 1/2 cup cooked brown rice without spiking. I haven't tried yet eating more than that.

Here is the nutritional fact about brown rice. 1 cup cooked gives 44..42 carbs (3.5 grms fiber). 15% total carb.

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/rice-brown-cooked-regular

1/2 cup cooked brown rice (22 grms carb), can easily be accomodated in a 50 grms carb diet.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a bit lost with the comments about the amount - a percentage of 80 means that if you eat 100 gm, 80 gm is carb, if you eat 50 gm, 40 gm is carb, and for 25 gm, 20 is carbs - it is a percentage.....
Eating brown rice mans that the impact is just a tiny bit less - personally I'd rather eat something with a bit of colour and flavour than any sort of rice.
How about eating a salad with coleslaw walnuts radishes celery tomato beetroot, finely sliced onion, a bag of salad, sweet pepper - rather than a spoonful of rice?
I know which I'd opt for. Don't forget the EV olive oil and a nice wine vinegar and some herbs as dressing.

Reactions: jjraak