20 year old

Teddy pink

Hi people, I am type 2 diabetic. My last fbs that I checked was 10.2 and ppbs 15(was taking jalra m, reclide 40 mg)
. Now my gp wants me to take lantus also 8 units.
So currently on
jalra m(metformin, vildagliptin)
Reclide 40mg
Lantus 8 units
I am just worried because I think I am too young to be take all three of this medication and what if these meds lose its efficiency in me over the years?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi people, I am type 2 diabetic. My last fbs that I checked was 10.2 and ppbs 15(was taking jalra m, reclide 40 mg)
. Now my gp wants me to take lantus also 8 units.
So currently on
jalra m(metformin, vildagliptin)
Reclide 40mg
Lantus 8 units
I am just worried because I think I am too young to be take all three of this medication and what if these meds lose its efficiency in me over the years?
Hello Teddy pink. Are you in the US?
How long have you been diagnosed with type 2 and was there any exploration of the possibility you are type 1? (autoimmune and insulin deficient).
If you are type 2 then your problem is insulin resistance/too much insulin and some of the medications (those that stimulate insulin or are insulin) may make you still more insulin resistant.
Have you been offered any advice on diet and lifestyle?
i think (see also Jason Fung on YouTube re Diabetes
) the bottom line is that unless you tackle this, you will only ever manage the symptom of high blood sugar by taking increasing amounts of meds. Unfortunately studies have shown that merely controlling sugars via meds doesn't always prevent diabetic complications.
This is a choice of course but as you say you are very young and it is good that you've come here to research the issue. If your Gp won't offer you any useful diet/lifestyle advice then I'd change GP btw! Even more say if they say anything like 'eat less, move more' ....(not at all helpful).

Reactions: ziggy_w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Teddy pink and welcome to the forum.

I’m not sure how long you’ve been diagnosed, but this information might be useful to you: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Can you give us a bit more background - how long have you been diagnosed? What strategies have you used to try and manage your type 2? Have the medications been gradually stepped up, or were you prescribed them all at once?

This information will help others to make more useful suggestions. There are certainly examples of people on here managing to reduce - or completely stop medication for type 2 (including insulin), but this needs to be done carefully and with the support of medical professionals because of the risk of causing hypos with blood glucose reducing medicines.

There’s a lot of support on here, so please ask questions, have a read around and join in!

Reactions: ziggy_w

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Teddy pink,
You are very young to have Type 2 diabetes, but patients are getting younger and younger.
Some slightly different background information for you:

No Diabetic Med cures Type 2 - but lifestyle/diet can place it into remission in up to 40% (or more) of cases.

Approximately 10% of diagnosed Type 2 Diabetics have never been overweight. They are called Thin Outside Fat Inside (TOFI) like me and don't have many sub-cutaneous fat cells , so all the fat is pushed into/around the internal organs.

When you body is accustomed to very high Blood Glucose levels, any significant drop, even to levels which are still high (for normal people) will make them feel like they are about to die! They need to reduce it slowly in increments giving the body time to adjust to the lower BG levels each time.

Since you are on Blood Glucose lowering drugs, any lifestyle intervention to control your Blood Glucose better would have to be done with the help (if not approval) of your Health Care Professional. Otherwise you would be at risk of Hypo's which can be very dangerous.

Teddy pink

That for the replies.
BTW I weigh 70kg(during diagnosis 61kg)
I was diagnosed around 7 months back
I was initially on 14 units lantus and jalra m
Due to my weight gain I was stopped on insulin and put on reclide and jalra m. Now since I didn't get the target I a taking 8 units of lantus too