BG contributions

Kjell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Inactivity
At present when assessing meals for their bg impact I just take account of the carb content, but a chart on another forum says there’s a bg contribution also from protein and fats. I’ve not seen this mentioned anywhere else and I’ve been happily upping my protein and fat intake to try and reverse weight loss. Should I be factoring in bg contributions from protein and fat, and controlling for these also?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I seriously wouldn't bother

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
At present when assessing meals for their bg impact I just take account of the carb content, but a chart on another forum says there’s a bg contribution also from protein and fats. I’ve not seen this mentioned anywhere else and I’ve been happily upping my protein and fat intake to try and reverse weight loss. Should I be factoring in bg contributions from protein and fat, and controlling for these also?

Has upping your protein and fats caused you any BG issues?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with Mike- I measure carbs but not protein or fat- I eat cheese, cream etc with no effect on my blood sugar levels. If you are counting the carbs and have no problems with blood sugar levels there would be no need to count- are you having any problems? I've also lost weight for the first time in my life while having as much cream and cheese as I like- not to mention meat like pork belly- not known for its lack of fat.

ai think some people may have a problem with too much protein- I haven't noticed that myself. But as always logging your meal and testing with a meter is the ultimate guide. I've added fat with no problem- I probably tend to add fat before protein.

Test test test

Kjell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Inactivity
Has upping your protein and fats caused you any BG issues?
It's too early to tell. I've only been testing for a few weeks, but if there is a significant contribution to BG from fats and protein it would make sense to limit them now rather than carry on regardless.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's too early to tell. I've only been testing for a few weeks, but if there is a significant contribution to BG from fats and protein it would make sense to limit them now rather than carry on regardless.
Fats have a very limited effect (almost zero) protein maybe slightly more but if you are cutting carbs you need to eat something so extra protein and fats are essential. Personally eating meat only I find my sugars are in a very tight range 4.5-5.8 for 99% of the time.

Last edited: