What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmmmm. My knee jerk reaction to that recipe would be it's way too little time, or the chops must have been extremely thin.

The air fryer is a bit faster, but not super quick, in my experience.
Meat was cooked enough for my liking - maybe a little too much. Guess that's why the skin wasn't crisp - part of my problem with red meat is cook it and it is usually too dry or tough for me. Lamb chops are generally miniscule aren't they?

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Meat was cooked enough for my liking - maybe a little too much. Guess that's why the skin wasn't crisp - part of my problem with red meat is cook it and it is usually too dry or tough for me. Lamb chops are generally miniscule aren't they?

In my experience, they're often tiny from supermarkets. Our butcher does some lovely lamb. We had lamb chops last night.

Reactions: Chook

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Mediterranean veggies with melted cheese on top followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: bbq chicken drumsticks with leafy salad, coleslaw and a 20g packet of Cheesies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In my experience, they're often tiny from supermarkets. Our butcher does some lovely lamb. We had lamb chops last night.
Butchers? Every village in a 10 mile radius has lost them around here. Meat only available in supermarkets.

Reactions: maglil55

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@ianpspurs no medical advice sought. Am convinced this is a BG issue.
@DCUKMod and @Quinn1066 thank you for your concern.

Breakfast CWC, one portion nut granola. CWC.
Tea
Coffee
Lunch homemade leek soup. Low Carb, low protein, I had pain kapnor toast 15g carbs and blue cheese to increase protein. Plus a blob of soured cream.
MrSlim had white toast with butter, no cream or cheese.
Tea.
Have to admit the leek soup was not a great success. Can seè now why it usually contains potatoes (they improve the texture. ) Will finish it up tomorrow, But won't make more by that method anyway.
Afternoon. MrSlim made me real coffee with cream.
Dinner: omelette with oven chips. I know they are an abomination again all things tasty or low carb - however I looked them up in Carbs and Cals, 15 = 20g carbs. Considering that they are pre cooked potato, maybe not too bad an affect on BG.
Esp as buffered by three egg ham, cheese and mushroom omelette.
MrSlims omelette was 2 eggs, no cheese, and less ham to fit in better with low protein, low salt. Ofc this was offset by a significantly larger portion of chips.
One glass of dry white wine with my meal another later.
BG before meal 5. 0
BG bit over an hour 6.0
BG Two hours 5. 0 perfect or what?
Also realised thing have been a lot less frantic on the waterworks front today. Whether this is because I was mostly indoors, or finally got it settled down is unclear. But feeling a lot happier this evening.
Bedtime tea.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Butchers? Every village in a 10 mile radius has lost them around here. Meat only available in supermarkets.

You need to go on buying sorties. All our lamb, from the butcher comes from a farmer in Market Harborough. We also recently found a farmer a the village close by, slaughtering, butchering and selling their own animals, including hogget. We'll be trying some in due course.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs no medical advice sought. Am convinced this is a BG issue.
@DCUKMod and @Quinn1066 thank you for your concern.

Breakfast CWC, one portion nut granola. CWC.
Tea
Coffee
Lunch homemade leek soup. Low Carb, low protein, I had pain kapnor toast 15g carbs and blue cheese to increase protein. Plus a blob of soured cream.
MrSlim had white toast with butter, no cream or cheese.
Tea.
Have to admit the leek soup was not a great success. Can seè now why it usually contains potatoes (they improve the texture. ) Will finish it up tomorrow, But won't make more by that method anyway.
Afternoon. MrSlim made me real coffee with cream.
Dinner: omelette with oven chips. I know they are an abomination again all things tasty or low carb - however I looked them up in Carbs and Cals, 15 = 20g carbs. Considering that they are pre cooked potato, maybe not too bad an affect on BG.
Esp as buffered by three egg ham, cheese and mushroom omelette.
MrSlims omelette was 2 eggs, no cheese, and less ham to fit in better with low protein, low salt. Ofc this was offset by a significantly larger portion of chips.
One glass of dry white wine with my meal another later.
BG before meal 5. 0
BG bit over an hour 6.0
BG Two hours 5. 0 perfect or what?
Also realised thing have been a lot less frantic on the waterworks front today. Whether this is because I was mostly indoors, or finally got it settled down is unclear. But feeling a lot happier this evening.
Bedtime tea.

Would celeriac, turnip or maybe even swede (although the swede could be too sweet) help with the texture, if you blend it a bit coarsely?

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Crab salad, several pots of low carb beer.
Dinner: Spicy seafood marinara, small portion of reheated pasta.
Breakfast: Usual three egg omelette with mushroom and grated cheese, bacon, tomatoes, extra salt to keep the cramps away.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugary stuff, beer, lotsa water.

All good reports for my feet at the podiatrist, and all "good good ✓" from my GP regarding my blood tests I had Monday.

Edit: added a Y to spic...

Last edited by a moderator:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear about the lurgy..the only thing to comfort you is get it out of the way before Christmas! Stay warm and hydrated. Hugs.

Thanks. Yes I was thinking the same thing ( in between feeling sorry for myself!) just hope I don’t pass it on to everyone else now.

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to go on buying sorties. .
Hope you enjoy the results of your search for the food you enjoy and genuinely appreciate your input. For the amount of red meat I eat/enjoy probably not worth much mileage. There are highly rated sources of top quality? meat near us if/when we move - off here today to order for Christmas https://www.lahogue.co.uk/about-lahogue-farm-shop/ and this looks good https://wykenvineyards.co.uk/farmers-market/. For me, provisioning salad, avocados, ACV, Dijon mustard, olive oil and salmon are/is a much higher priority - oh and maybe tea:angelic: My LC journey has radically altered my food tastes with red meat being a "casualty"
*remove links if this is advertising - I understand.

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@DJC3 - I hope you feel better soon. I recently had a cold that lasted three weeks so I know how you feel - the only thing that worked for me was paracetamol, home made lemon drink, long steamy baths or showers. Just to add.... when Mr C had the same cold it was, of course, flu! :hilarious:
@Tipetoo - congratulations on the podiatrist and blood test results.
@Quin1066 - I love the sound of that soup! Just added it to my list of stuff I'd like to cook for myself.

I'm being hurried up by Mr C - we are going car shopping today - after nearly 4 weeks with countless 'expert' mechanics looking at it, it seems our car still has a mysterious ailment and a conservative estimate to fix/replace the only thing left they haven't done to it is 1500 pounds (I still can't find the pound sign on this keyboard). So rather than lay out the 1500 on a gamble that it will cure the fault, we are going shopping for another one. One that definitely hasn't got a complex computer system that takes over the car whenever it feels like it.

So, my food and BG for yesterday....

Thursday Bed: 6.1

Friday FBG: 7.3
Breakfast: Chaffle (2.5g)
2 hours after: 6.7

Lunch: 6.3
Advent calendar cheese
2 hours after: 5.4

Dinner: 5.4 - couldn't eat it all
Oumph!, chaffle, salad and garlic yoghurt dip (total of 9g)
2 hours after: 5.8
Bed: 5.8

Drinks: Black Tassimo caffeinated coffee with breakfast, pepsi max with tablets, then black decaff coffee until 2pm and lots of water throughout the day. A Friday glass or two (possibly three) of red wine was consumed from dinner time onwards - which probably explains why my FBG this morning was..... 6.0!!! :singing: (I'll be more impressed if I get that FBG on a day when I haven't had a glass of wine the night before!)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - I hope you feel better soon. I recently had a cold that lasted three weeks so I know how you feel - the only thing that worked for me was paracetamol, home made lemon drink, long steamy baths or showers. Just to add.... when Mr C had the same cold it was, of course, flu! :hilarious:
@Tipetoo - congratulations on the podiatrist and blood test results.
@Quin1066 - I love the sound of that soup! Just added it to my list of stuff I'd like to cook for myself.

I'm being hurried up by Mr C - we are going car shopping today - after nearly 4 weeks with countless 'expert' mechanics looking at it, it seems our car still has a mysterious ailment and a conservative estimate to fix/replace the only thing left they haven't done to it is 1500 pounds (I still can't find the pound sign on this keyboard). So rather than lay out the 1500 on a gamble that it will cure the fault, we are going shopping for another one. One that definitely hasn't got a complex computer system that takes over the car whenever it feels like it.

So, my food and BG for yesterday....

Thursday Bed: 6.1

Friday FBG: 7.3
Breakfast: Chaffle (2.5g)
2 hours after: 6.7

Lunch: 6.3
Advent calendar cheese
2 hours after: 5.4

Dinner: 5.4 - couldn't eat it all
Oumph!, chaffle, salad and garlic yoghurt dip (total of 9g)
2 hours after: 5.8
Bed: 5.8

Drinks: Black Tassimo caffeinated coffee with breakfast, pepsi max with tablets, then black decaff coffee until 2pm and lots of water throughout the day. A Friday glass or two (possibly three) of red wine was consumed from dinner time onwards - which probably explains why my FBG this morning was..... 6.0!!! :singing: (I'll be more impressed if I get that FBG on a day when I haven't had a glass of wine the night before!)
Looks very disciplined to me and post meal results all good. To an outsider, definite progress over the week. Well done young lady. I hope the car search goes well. Are you eating the Wensleydale with gingerbread? I don't like either and carbs too high as well - I ate Monday's as I didn't want the Mexicana (poor joke) and we will be travelling back from Southampton Monday.

Reactions: Quinn1066

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today: 07/12/19
Breakfast: Usual low carb porridge, no yoghurt
Lunch: 147g cucumber, Vegemite, 30g full fat New Zealand Cheddar Cheese, such a good cheese.
Dinner: 147g beef topside pot roast, 80g broccoli, 80g green beans, 80g cauliflower.
Desert: 85g full fat greek yoghurt, coconut flour raspberry square, got a full raspberry in the square this time.

It was a special dinner after helping parents decorate Christmas tree and house, such a good afternoon. Then we watched a Hallmark Christmas movie while eating dinner, "Christmas at the Plaza". It was a great day.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you enjoy the results of your search for the food you enjoy and genuinely appreciate your input. For the amount of red meat I eat/enjoy probably not worth much mileage. There are highly rated sources of top quality? meat near us if/when we move - off here today to order for Christmas https://www.lahogue.co.uk/about-lahogue-farm-shop/ and this looks good https://wykenvineyards.co.uk/farmers-market/. For me, provisioning salad, avocados, ACV, Dijon mustard, olive oil and salmon are/is a much higher priority - oh and maybe tea:angelic: My LC journey has radically altered my food tastes with red meat being a "casualty"
*remove links if this is advertising - I understand.

Those places look good, Ian. There was a very nice restaurant in Bury St Ednmonds when I was travelling to Ipswich a lot. I must look it up (if I can recall the name).

It's a pretty part of the world, and not too far at all from your current stomping grounds.

Edited to add, I think the eatery is The Mason Bleue. The wine racks look familiar. It's funny what sticks in the mind!

Last edited:
Reactions: ianpspurs

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Didnt post here yesterday as I felt a bit meh and off my food. I had a slice of LivLife toast twice, breakfast and lunch. Lots of tea. Boiled egg in the evening. Couldnt even enjoy a Friday night gin o_O. Anyway feel better today, sometimes I feel I am exposed to some germ or other and somehow manage to send it on its way.
Today
Breakfast was the usual (above). Must say I miss HiLo for toast.
Lunch was cheesey scrambled egg.
Supper will be Chicken Shaslik and tenderstem brocolli. A gin or two may be had!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All (even though it is only4pm :D )

am home! and delighted about it. Been a rather challenging week on many levels, including sleeping on a single mattress on the floor and levering myself to my feet with arthritic knees.

the reason the mattress is on the floor is that I and 3 dogs do not fit on a single bed, so I take the mattress off, stand the base on its side, and build an extension down one side of the mattress for the the dogs, constructed out of pillows and folded duvets and covered by their snuggle fleece throw. Haha!

but I am not sure this is workable for many more visits, my knees being what they are...

food yesterday was no B, a slab of vintage cheddar with mango chutney, then a family meal of some of my chick liver pate followed by two duck legs (confit de canard). Also a glorious amount of roast garlic. They all had exorbitant amounts of broccoli, leek and sugarsnaps, followed by lemon tarts, raspberries, blueberries with ice cream, coffee and medjool dates.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Behind and not caught up with all your posts.

Two contrasting days of food. Excessive yesterday and far less today.

Yesterday breakfast of eggs bacon and cheese and dinner of bunless bacon cheeseburger with mayonnaise and grilled onions at Five Guys. So far so good. Then succumbed to rather too much Hotel Chocolat chocolate while awaiting a delayed train to Hull, followed by some cheese on the train,

Today OMAD. After a day wandering around Hull - loving it - found a shop selling whole rotisserie chickens for £4. Ate the legs, wings and skin from the rest, followed by a small amount of 70% chocolate.

Now trying to persuade my iPad to download pics from a full memory card :banghead: