Going to China - What to Eat?

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I am going to central China next week. As a low-carber I wonder what I am going to eat there. Any advice?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
We travelled around China (coast and as far west as Chengdu) about 15 years ago. This was pre-diabetes and low carb, even then food was not one of the high points and was a difficult aspect of the trip once.away from Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong. However, things are changing fast in China.
Perhaps you will be staying with Chinese people, a family maybe. I think people travelling this way get much better food, it's the hotels that are (were) particularly bad.
I don't know if you are Low Carb, but if you are a carb counter I would be inclined to take some packet carbs (eg oat biscuits) with me for emergency meals, so you know exactly where you are up to and get something to eat.
There are regional varieties in food, though expect noodles, rice and stir fried things. Don't imagine it will be anything like your local take away in UK!
Hopefully there will be someone along soon with more up to date knowledge. Perhaps let us know what sort of trip it will be, eg hotel, family stay etc
Anyway, have a good time, it will be fascinating.
Sally

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Slightly different but we used hawkers markets in Singapore and Hong Kong. You pick what you want and they cook it. So if there is something like that where you’ll be you can fill up on meat, fish, veg.

Reactions: cz_dave

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Slightly different but we used hawkers markets in Singapore and Hong Kong. You pick what you want and they cook it. So if there is something like that where you’ll be you can fill up on meat, fish, veg.
When I went there for a holiday several years ago tofu seemingly was the main thing eaten. Of course, I'm exaggerating. There were lots of chicken dishes. But times have changed. I'm sure you'll find many dishes low carb friendly (fingers crossed!).

Enjoy your holiday, and best wishes.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Tofu is pretty low carb, depends what they serve it with.

Reactions: cz_dave

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We travelled around China (coast and as far west as Chengdu) about 15 years ago. This was pre-diabetes and low carb, even then food was not one of the high points and was a difficult aspect of the trip once.away from Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong. However, things are changing fast in China.
Perhaps you will be staying with Chinese people, a family maybe. I think people travelling this way get much better food, it's the hotels that are (were) particularly bad.
I don't know if you are Low Carb, but if you are a carb counter I would be inclined to take some packet carbs (eg oat biscuits) with me for emergency meals, so you know exactly where you are up to and get something to eat.
There are regional varieties in food, though expect noodles, rice and stir fried things. Don't imagine it will be anything like your local take away in UK!
Hopefully there will be someone along soon with more up to date knowledge. Perhaps let us know what sort of trip it will be, eg hotel, family stay etc
Anyway, have a good time, it will be fascinating.
Sally
Thank you very much! Unfortunately, it's going to be restaurant food :) It's a business trip...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much! Unfortunately, it's going to be restaurant food :) It's a business trip...
There should be lots of pork (even after the swine flue) as well as chicken , duck maybe even some lamb and by the looks of recent TV a McD's on almost every corner if you really get stuck.

Reactions: jjraak

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am just on my way back to Europe - yes, it's been a short trip.

The food was actually great. I ate in restaurants mainly and there was always something low carb on offer. The fact that the different meals are placed in the center of the table is great - I could taste a bit and get more if I liked it. I passed on sliced pork ears but tasted a frog. :)