What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BG 5.9
Weight 47.9kg
Slight loss, unsurprising as I have been keeping the carbs right down.
Disturbed night, up three times for bathroom. Unable to settle straight away after two of them.
Does this increase morning BG?

After several very cold days the swamp outside was becoming to dry out. This morning it's raining again. Am looking for indoor jobs today. Our builder was due to start yesterday, but no. Now MrSlim is threatening to start on the work himself.
Am worried, not that he isn't capable, but that he will hurt himself. It's only two months since his operation. Which is why he wanted a builder in the first place.
Original plan was to do all the work himself.

Hi @SlimLizzy
I would say yes re bad nights sleep.
As I see it, the body wants to live, so does what it thinks it must to ensure its survival

Hence the morning dump of glucose so we have enough energy to go hunting for food so we survive another day.

I think it would be the same idea regarding sleep...a time for the body to regenerate and repair itself.. Including the mind I'd dare to venture.

So a rested night the body gives us that dump.

And on a restless night, clearly not as rested and maybe stressed over the previous day's events still, that dump is most likely larger, as our body thinks we need an even bigger boost for hunting so it can survive one more day

Can't point to any particular links, but in general that's just my understanding of it.

Hope the sleep settles down soon for you. X

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Because apparently the pic doesn't appear on a phone or tablet, I'm trying again. :)

20191207_074550.jpg

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SaskiaKC that looks like a very agreeable and friendly pony! Dont know if you decorate your flat but I think the KC would appreciate Bop the Bauble. The girls made me laugh today while I was sorting out the baubles for the trees and kept telling them off for being a bit too interested. After a while they went to their toy box and brought me a selection of their sparkly pompoms. Arent animals clever!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your friend is a saint. I would draw the line at picking up my tree every night. Our main (real) tree is closed off from them if I go out but I have another tacky black artificial tree which I love, its decorated with silver and purple and ice white lights and thats the one they go for. Tbf they dislodge a few baubles and play football but I put anything precious high up. When we had our first kittens they ran up and down the trunk of the tree and made it sway, that year we did without lights!
Poor postie. I am fed up with election leaflets. One lot have delivered on 5 or 6 occasions. Surely they should keep a log and help the planet. The other thing I have noticed is since I left the many websites trying to sell me stuff they are bombarding me with brochures through the post. I hate unnecessary waste. Bah humbug!

She forgives her fur babies anything! We have a couple of my favourite baubles hanging from the ceiling this year as there’s no tree. I do hope we can have one next year if Dennis becomes a bit more chilled.
I hate the waste too. We’ve made 2 ‘greener’ changes to Christmas this year - 1st is a charity donation rather than sending cards. 2nd is wrapping presents in newspaper rather than buying wrapping paper. It’s not much but I reckon it all helps.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She forgives her fur babies anything! We have a couple of my favourite baubles hanging from the ceiling this year as there’s no tree. I do hope we can have one next year if Dennis becomes a bit more chilled.
I hate the waste too. We’ve made 2 ‘greener’ changes to Christmas this year - 1st is a charity donation rather than sending cards. 2nd is wrapping presents in newspaper rather than buying wrapping paper. It’s not much but I reckon it all helps.
You are doing better than me on the carbon footprint! I dont know why we need to wrap presents for our family when we are there when they are received. If we were to tag them and draw them out of a big sack an unwrapped gift would still be a surprise. I always feel guilty about the discarded wrapping paper. However whatever us mortals do companies and political parties are still doing worse!

Reactions: HarryBeau and DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might be on to something there...lovely things hanging at different dropsfrom the ceiling could be fabulous...as long as it doesnt puncture lots of holes of course lol

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saw this link when I came home today. We have all talked about fasting periods on here.

This one suggests limiting to a 10 hour eating window. Personally I think it is rather a long eating window. But I have no idea what is an effective eating window for a diabetic. All the various 'experts' say something different.

Anyway here is the link if you want to read.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-12-limited-obesity-diabetes.html

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Ian - it feels like passing an exam! Got to have a repeat full blood count in 3 months as my Haemoglobin is low strangely, considering the amount of red meat and spinach I eat. Better have more steak.
Is that your ferritin level?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
111 more messages to catch up on. Love to read them all but will read more tomorrow.

I've not shaken this virus off yet. Still hugging the fire yesterday! Daughters baby shower today but glad to get home. Not eaten properly for days. Yesterday I thought to myself I have to eat, cant afford to lose any more weight (5lb under ideal weight for me now). But nothing low carb was appealing. Cheese, meat, eggs, veg, yoghurt. No appetite whatsoever. Have a funny feeling in my stomache. So I went to the local sayers bakery. I bought a cornish pasty no less. It doesnt end there. I bought cakes for the family, had bottom half of iced Bavarian slice. Went down very well. Blood sugars however went very high. I was prepared. It is the first time I have struggled in 2 years (tomorrow) since dx.
On the positive side I haven't lost any more weight.
The virus has made my blood sugars rise in general. Even when not wating, I expected it to go down if anything.
So just waiting patiently for this virus to pass.
Back to lc today. Omelette forced down, chicken skewers, halloumi fries at baby shower. Glass of prosecco didnt go down well at all. So diet coke ordered. Tastes gross but sick of water.

Hope all well with everyone else.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your friend is a saint. I would draw the line at picking up my tree every night. Our main (real) tree is closed off from them if I go out but I have another tacky black artificial tree which I love, its decorated with silver and purple and ice white lights and thats the one they go for. Tbf they dislodge a few baubles and play football but I put anything precious high up. When we had our first kittens they ran up and down the trunk of the tree and made it sway, that year we did without lights!
Poor postie. I am fed up with election leaflets. One lot have delivered on 5 or 6 occasions. Surely they should keep a log and help the planet. The other thing I have noticed is since I left the many websites trying to sell me stuff they are bombarding me with brochures through the post. I hate unnecessary waste. Bah humbug!

Please can you post a pic of this tree? It sounds lovely.
Or a video of Bobs and Daisy playing bop the bauble? ^. .^

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SaskiaKC that looks like a very agreeable and friendly pony! Dont know if you decorate your flat but I think the KC would appreciate Bop the Bauble. The girls made me laugh today while I was sorting out the baubles for the trees and kept telling them off for being a bit too interested. After a while they went to their toy box and brought me a selection of their sparkly pompoms. Arent animals clever!

That pony was certainly clever! When I used to long-rein him (kinda like driving but without a cart; you walk behind, just out of kicking range!) he would do a U-turn and stand there staring back at me knowing I could not do anything to get him to straighten out and go forward! I wanted to poke him with my driving whip but he knew very well that I would never touch him with it. :angelic:

I do put up a tree, and year before last, when I bought a stockingful of Christmas cat toys that the KittenCat ignored, I ended up hanging them on the tree. Her favorite "toys" are cat treats -- she can chase them and catch them and eat them! ^. .^

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

What a great idea! You have just inspired me to recycle brown paper grocery bags into wrapping for mailing, which I used to do, instead of buying envelopes. I already have mailing tape, after all. ... :)

Reactions: trick60 and DJC3

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are doing better than me on the carbon footprint! I dont know why we need to wrap presents for our family when we are there when they are received. If we were to tag them and draw them out of a big sack an unwrapped gift would still be a surprise. I always feel guilty about the discarded wrapping paper. However whatever us mortals do companies and political parties are still doing worse!

Sadly true. Whenever I read exhortations to stop using plastic, I think of my own doctor and pharmacy, and all the others, and the hospitals, that use plastic for just about everything that was glass or metal when I was younger. And all the vendors who continue to package everything, including plastic bottles within cardboard boxes sealed in shrink-wrap. ... And all the lovely children's toys that used to be made of wood but now are plastic.
Good grief.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw this link when I came home today. We have all talked about fasting periods on here.

This one suggests limiting to a 10 hour eating window. Personally I think it is rather a long eating window. But I have no idea what is an effective eating window for a diabetic. All the various 'experts' say something different.

Anyway here is the link if you want to read.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-12-limited-obesity-diabetes.html

I saw this too and thought the same as you - a 10 hour window is quite big, but I suppose it’s a lot better than a 12 or 16 hour eating window that many people seem to have.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
111 more messages to catch up on. Love to read them all but will read more tomorrow.

I've not shaken this virus off yet. Still hugging the fire yesterday! Daughters baby shower today but glad to get home. Not eaten properly for days. Yesterday I thought to myself I have to eat, cant afford to lose any more weight (5lb under ideal weight for me now). But nothing low carb was appealing. Cheese, meat, eggs, veg, yoghurt. No appetite whatsoever. Have a funny feeling in my stomache. So I went to the local sayers bakery. I bought a cornish pasty no less. It doesnt end there. I bought cakes for the family, had bottom half of iced Bavarian slice. Went down very well. Blood sugars however went very high. I was prepared. It is the first time I have struggled in 2 years (tomorrow) since dx.
On the positive side I haven't lost any more weight.
The virus has made my blood sugars rise in general. Even when not wating, I expected it to go down if anything.
So just waiting patiently for this virus to pass.
Back to lc today. Omelette forced down, chicken skewers, halloumi fries at baby shower. Glass of prosecco didnt go down well at all. So diet coke ordered. Tastes gross but sick of water.

Hope all well with everyone else.

you’ve had it for ages now Deb, you must be feeling exhausted. Hope you turn the corner soon. When you’re ill it’s sometimes hard to eat properly and I know the feeling of sugar craving when you’re run down too. I think you’ve done really well just to have that one little blip.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
you’ve had it for ages now Deb, you must be feeling exhausted. Hope you turn the corner soon. When you’re ill it’s sometimes hard to eat properly and I know the feeling of sugar craving when you’re run down too. I think you’ve done really well just to have that one little blip.
Thank you that makes me feel so much better.

Reactions: DJC3