Metformin AND Insulin

Hi, Does anyone know why some type 2s have to take Metformin as well as insulin? I'm taking both and I really don't get on well with Metformin and wondered if it is even necessary while on insulin.
Debbie in Devon :D

pianoman

Hi Debbie, as I understand it, they perform different roles: Metformin is to help combat Insulin Resistance (IR) so that the body can make best use of the insulin that you do have, and it also helps to reduce the amount of glucose released from the liver's stores of glycogen. Injected insulin is used to overcome any shortfall in your own secreted insulin in its task of reducing Blood Glucose levels. So they have complimentary roles, but if the Metformin does not agree with you I am sure there may be alternatives to discuss with your HCPs.

NewdestinyX

onemanandhiswife said:
Hi, Does anyone know why some type 2s have to take Metformin as well as insulin? I'm taking both and I really don't get on well with Metformin and wondered if it is even necessary while on insulin.
Debbie in Devon :D
Hi, Debbie. You got a very complete explanation from Pianoman. I would just add - that I too couldn't bear the Metformin - BUT -- for a lot of people there are gastric issues at first. Pretty awful -- and the docs don't tell you how bad it can be. It's funny they give you warnings for every other thing that could get them sued - but they don't tell diabetics that the first few weeks you're on Metformin you can have 'doubling over' gastic issues.. Uggh. I hate the medical profession sometimes. BUT -- even for people for whom they eventually tolerate it well - there is often an adjustment period that can take from 4-6 weeks. Even for me - things got a 'little better' after several weeks- but - not better enough for me to live with it the rest of my life. After 3 months I just had to give up. The great news is that insulin, alone, is just as effective or even moreso, in stabilizing a diabetic's blood sugar throughout the day. So though doctors really prefer Metformin as a first line of attack - insulin, is being shown to be be more effective when used as a first line of defense. So though I think it's worth you giving Metformin a few more weeks - if you eventually choose it's changing the quality of life too much - talk to your doctor about just being on slow and fast acting insulin. My doctor was perfectly fine with that regimen and was actually pleased I'd ask for it.

Good luck - keep us posted!