Are supplements worth anything?

Wojciechu

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello.

I've run into some articles stating that some of the supplements can help lower BG levels. One of these mentioned frequently is chromium. The flavor of the month seems to be berberine.

I'm rather skeptical to these kinds of treatments, but you never know. Has anybody tried those and can share their experiences? Are they worth anything?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
There are a number of supplements that assist in lowering BG levels, the ones you mentioned and others like zinc, vitD3, coq10, K2, for example. Should you be taking them depends on whether or not you are deficient. Other factors come into play, like possible interactions with any kind of medication or health condition. How much is enough or too much per individual will vary.

Your doctor should also know what you are taking so they are aware if they prescribe something for you. I take a number of things, but I have multiple health conditions. They certainly make me more insulin sensitive. So that lowers levels for me, keeps me stable and is helping me manage different conditions, but it's taken me years of experimentation.

Reactions: Pasha

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I've learned another thing today. That is something I didn't know. Thanks Tophat!.

I guess the best thing is to talk to your doctor so they can order appropriate tests to see if you are deficient.

Reactions: Tophat1900

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are a number of supplements that assist in lowering BG levels, the ones you mentioned and others like zinc, vitD3, coq10, K2, for example. Should you be taking them depends on whether or not you are deficient. Other factors come into play, like possible interactions with any kind of medication or health condition. How much is enough or too much per individual will vary.

Your doctor should also know what you are taking so they are aware if they prescribe something for you. I take a number of things, but I have multiple health conditions. They certainly make me more insulin sensitive. So that lowers levels for me, keeps me stable and is helping me manage different conditions, but it's taken me years of experimentation.

I'd second @VashtiB post
thank you for the post, @Tophat1900 ..have a good Un.:)

off now to look at berberine and chromium

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If for instance you are taking blood thinners then vitamin K2 supplementation maybe not such a good idea in fact the "K " is derived from the German word koagulation..

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I'd second @VashtiB post
thank you for the post, @Tophat1900 ..have a good Un.:)

off now to look at berberine and chromium

Personally, I have not tried berberine, but I have always put a good amount of research into something before ever taking anything. Somethings can interact badly, even with just common over the counter medications. Read away to your hearts content! :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally, I have not tried berberine, but I have always put a good amount of research into something before ever taking anything. Somethings can interact badly, even with just common over the counter medications. Read away to your hearts content! :)

man after me own heart.

Only ones i take
are B12 and Vit d3...
score for b12 was low end, and with my work etc, i don't enough time in the sun, if i'm honest. :rolleyes:

But not adverse to trying something if it can be proven to help not hinder in some other way .