Type 2 Will taking painkillers increase blood glucose levels

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been prescribed codeine and paracetamol after breaking my arm on Wednesday and my blood sugar level has been between 10.0 and 17 mmol/l since then. I haven't felt like eating much so I have only had coffee and cream and 97% meat sausages since I fell. I don't take any medication and my hba1c has gone from 143 to 61 with low carb diet. Is it likely to be the pain or the painkillers causing my high levels?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry about your broken arm, hope it's starting to feel a little better soon!
I'd expect the high levels to be from stress/pain, paracetamol and codeine shouldn't make you high. (or maybe the codeine can make you high, but not your blood sugars ;) )
Good recovery!

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry about your broken arm, hope it's starting to feel a little better soon!
I'd expect the high levels to be from stress/pain, paracetamol and codeine shouldn't make you high. (or maybe the codeine can make you high, but not your blood sugars ;) )
Good recovery!

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Antje 77. I don't know where I would be without the medication but I'm hoping for a quick recovery.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been prescribed codeine and paracetamol after breaking my arm on Wednesday and my blood sugar level has been between 10.0 and 17 mmol/l since then. I haven't felt like eating much so I have only had coffee and cream and 97% meat sausages since I fell. I don't take any medication and my hba1c has gone from 143 to 61 with low carb diet. Is it likely to be the pain or the painkillers causing my high levels?

Hi there @Swiggy . I'd tend to side with @Antje77 and suggests it's at least as likely to be your pain that the meds causing the high levels. Your body has a fair bit to cope with at the moment, never mind the stress of working out how to do things without irritating your arm.

I hope the pain starts to ease pretty soon, and hopefully the blood sugar numbers with it. If you've had your arm supported in a cast, it's likely to help.

I must say, I'm impressed by your one armed typing. Well done.

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there @Swiggy . I'd tend to side with @Antje77 and suggests it's at least as likely to be your pain that the meds causing the high levels. Your body has a fair bit to cope with at the moment, never mind the stress of working out how to do things without irritating your arm.

I hope the pain starts to ease pretty soon, and hopefully the blood sugar numbers with it. If you've had your arm supported in a cast, it's likely to help.

I must say, I'm impressed by your one armed typing. Well done.
DCUKMod It took me ages. Blood glucose down to 8.8 after a dinner of roast chicken. Medication is controlling the pain until about 30 minutes before the next dose is due and a scary bruise has developed today. I'm on the mend.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DCUKMod It took me ages. Blood glucose down to 8.8 after a dinner of roast chicken. Medication is controlling the pain until about 30 minutes before the next dose is due and a scary bruise has developed today. I'm on the mend.

Sounds like you're doing just fine.

Last Thursday (so, just over a week ago), I was pondering the deliciousness of our weekly haul from the local butcher when I tripped up and realised I was heading for the ground. Face plant on cobbles. Ouch!

Fast forward all the stupid "I'm totally fine" rubbish one spouts whilst wiping the blood drops from one's jacket, I had the most spectacular black eye and rather sore face.

Everything has just about healed now, although I just just a small bruise left, and fading yellow bruise on my cheek bone. It looked for days, like the bruise was dribbling down my face.

People encountered didn't know whether to mention it or not, but I found myself declaring myself not to have been the victim of any sort of violence. What sort of logic is that?

It's amazing how quickly our bodies heal. Pride sometimes take a little longer.

In the meantime, make yourself as comfortable as you can and accept all offers of help.

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear @DCUKMod you have been in the wars too. I know exactly what you mean about protesting that one's perfectly fine and worrying about people assuming that your injuries are the result of violence. Daft aren't we? I'm just hoping that Tuesday's x-ray rules out any need for surgery and that I am not off the road for too long. Take care and watch out for cobbles in future.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear @DCUKMod you have been in the wars too. I know exactly what you mean about protesting that one's perfectly fine and worrying about people assuming that your injuries are the result of violence. Daft aren't we? I'm just hoping that Tuesday's x-ray rules out any need for surgery and that I am not off the road for too long. Take care and watch out for cobbles in future.

It wasn't my finest hour, for sure, but I have revisited the scene of the crime against me a few times since then. I've just felt compelled to glare at the ground, as I pass.

I'm hoping by mid-week my face will be in the category of "Move along folks. Nothing to see here."

I have to say I was very impressed by a young couple, probably in their early twenties, who dashed over to ensure I was OK, and really wanted to look after me - whatever that meant! They are the sort who restore faith in the human race, and particularly the younger generation. Their parents should be proud of them.

Fingers crossed for you on Tuesday. An op before Christmas could seriously cramp your style, but get you out of some of the less charming aspects of the season.

Take care.

Reactions: Brunneria

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It wasn't my finest hour, for sure, but I have revisited the scene of the crime against me a few times since then. I've just felt compelled to glare at the ground, as I pass.

I'm hoping by mid-week my face will be in the category of "Move along folks. Nothing to see here."

I have to say I was very impressed by a young couple, probably in their early twenties, who dashed over to ensure I was OK, and really wanted to look after me - whatever that meant! They are the sort who restore faith in the human race, and particularly the younger generation. Their parents should be proud of them.

Fingers crossed for you on Tuesday. An op before Christmas could seriously cramp your style, but get you out of some of the less charming aspects of the season.

Take care.
Thanks @DCUKMod I fell outside the university and was helped by two student medics and a student radiographer, they were absolutely brilliant. Two men from campus security brought a car round and transported me to A&E. They said that lots of people fall there because the granite paving is lethal when it's wet. I was wearing sensible boots so I am a bit disappointed about it.
I'm hoping that I won't need an op, I can be very determined about putting the work in to get the best outcome so I am hopeful that physiotherapy will sort me out and I will amaze the staff with the speed of my recovery.
Good luck with your disappearing bruises, glaring is good if it makes you feel better. I will let you know what happens on Tuesday.

Reactions: DCUKMod

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry about your broken arm, I hope it heals quickly x
I take paracetamol and codeine to a lesser or greater degree for my arthritis, I don’t notice any difference in my blood sugars on the days I take more.

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry about your broken arm, I hope it heals quickly x
I take paracetamol and codeine to a lesser or greater degree for my arthritis, I don’t notice any difference in my blood sugars on the days I take more.
Thanks@Rachox. X

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Appointment at fracture clinic went well, bones are well aligned so surgery not needed at this point. Will x-ray again next Tuesday, nurse explained that they will monitor me closely because if the bones do move out of place swift action is needed but hopefully it will heal successfully.
BGL 8.8 so going in the right direction. X

Reactions: Rachox

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Appointment at fracture clinic went well, bones are well aligned so surgery not needed at this point. Will x-ray again next Tuesday, nurse explained that they will monitor me closely because if the bones do move out of place swift action is needed but hopefully it will heal successfully.
BGL 8.8 so going in the right direction. X

Great news, and looks like you'll have the close monitoring you need.

Take it steady.

Reactions: Swiggy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Great advice above, but I just wanted to say 'ouch!' and 'get well soon!'