Chaffle makers?

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Gracie204 - Did you order it from .com or .co.uk ? I don't see it on the UK site.
Do you know, I've just done the same, and I can't find it either! Blimey, my order is probably floating around in cyber space. No, Amazon informs me it will be delivered on the 16 December 2019.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
we have one of those panini makers/sandwich makers/griller things, with interchangeable plates.
Cost around £25 from Amazon.
Delivered next day and chaffling merrily within 10 mins of arrival.
Very pleased with it.

and glad we got one big enough to do 2 chaffles at once. I find 1 egg and plenty of cheese is too much for one chaffle, so make 2 side by side. Much easier than cooking one and then another.
I bought a similar one from Aldi

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was just one egg, a tablespoon of coconut flour and a little shredded mild cheese. I just mixed it and poured it in.

Tomorrow I'm leaving out the cheese and adding vanilla or lemon flavour....

well tempted by the talk,
i followed your simple recipe of eggs, coconut flour and grated cheese.

no waffle maker in sight here...barely know what a waffle is,..:wacky:

but to avoid the spread of mixture i formed a ring from kitchen foil,
(no master chef, here i can tell you..:hilarious: )
fried on one side, then when firm removed foul and cooked on other side.

Nice, crispy and sweet flavoured..(used red Leicester)
quite liked.:D

But like @Mr_Pot ..i won't be buying one, anytime soon
but would deffo make that again rather a pleasant little snack
might add some jalapenos or chilli flakes for that little 'kick'.

cheers for post, another quick n simple home cook item to add to my 90 second bread one.

by Jove i'll make to that bake off show at this rate...;)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well tempted by the talk,
i followed your simple recipe of eggs, coconut flour and grated cheese.

no waffle maker in sight here...barely know what a waffle is,..:wacky:

but to avoid the spread of mixture i formed a ring from kitchen foil,
(no master chef, here i can tell you..:hilarious: )
fried on one side, then when firm removed foul and cooked on other side.

Nice, crispy and sweet flavoured..(used red Leicester)
quite liked.:D

But like @Mr_Pot ..i won't be buying one, anytime soon
but would deffo make that again rather a pleasant little snack
might add some jalapenos or chilli flakes for that little 'kick'.

cheers for post, another quick n simple home cook item to add to my 90 second bread one.

by Jove i'll make to that bake off show at this rate...;)

By the sound of it, @jjraak - if you're content with your texture etc,. then maybe an egg ring - silicone or stainless steel could work as a forming tool, and be reusable?

Something like these? There are gazillions out there, including, probably in your local pound shop:

upload_2019-12-9_8-6-48.png

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I give the mixture of egg and cheese a quick whizz with my Bamix and the beater blade, to convert the grated cheese into smaller bits. The waffle maker with the shaped pyramids on the plates does create a different finished article to that made in a frying pan, and as they are so cheap to buy I'd recommend one - though I got the one with the four sections, but do not divide it up, just fold it over.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear, and I thought I was choosing wisely in selecting the Dash. It's too late now it's on its way. Where do I go from here?
As it is probably already on its way I don't think you can do much about it, but I thought I'd better warn you that there might be a charge for importing it. We get things sent for repair and have had some difficulty in sorting that out without paying the duty - we would not have got it refunded when the things were sent back mended. As this is a purchase, duty might have to be paid plus a fee for collecting it.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope it is 240v. Can't be doing with too many problems!
Have you checked the details on Amazon re import duty, wattage etc? IMO they would not have sold you something incurring duty without spelling it out. I don't know if it is relevant, but I quite often order books on Amazon UK that have to be sent from the US and never pay duty.

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I'm aware the price I paid to Amazon covered import duty, but I'm no expert on such matters. I'm hoping that any wattage differences can be solved by simply changing the plug or using a converter. Monday is delivery day. I shall report back on what happens.

Best wishes.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My experience of Amazon and eBay import charges are that they only kick in if the item's value is over a certain amount, and since every country has different import charges, the sending country (often America) may opt out of paying them and leave them for you to sort out. When that happens, in my experience, I get contacted by the post office who hold the item until a handling charge and the import charge has been paid.

I doubt very much that a small chaffle maker will be valuable enough to trigger import charges, but since I don't know how much you paid, I can't be certain.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I'm aware the price I paid to Amazon covered import duty, but I'm no expert on such matters. I'm hoping that any wattage differences can be solved by simply changing the plug or using a converter. Monday is delivery day. I shall report back on what happens.

Best wishes.

Gracie - I don't know how much you paid for the gadget, but there is a lower floor for import charges, so fingers crossed.

Please do be careful about a cheapo plug converter. The draw of the gadget is, from memory 1000w, which is quite hefty, so needs a converter to be able to convert to 150-200% of that, to be on the safe side. I can't clearly recall the advised safety margins.

(We had very complex dual ring main electricity arrangements a few years ago - nightmare!)

Were you stepping down (using a 240v appliance on 110v, it's less of a risk, as it either doesn't work, or if it's, say, a kettle, it just takes ages and ages to come to a boil. Going the other way, taking over 200% of the power required is less predictable and has the potential to be very dangerous.

Please be careful.

If you paid the equivalent of the $10-15, I'd honestly be inclined to put it down to experience and move on!

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cor blimey, never did I think that ordering a mini chaffle maker would create such a minefield of problems. As you say, DCUK, see what Monday brings and if there are too many hurdles to overcome I'll probably just ditch the product. But I live in hope.

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

First of all I would like to express my thanks for all the concern shown about the safety of the Dash Mini Waffle Maker I'd ordered from Amazon (USA), and it was appreciated because I've no expertise on electrical goods. I did go on the Amazon USA website and asked the question whether it could be used in the UK, and they said to either change the plug or else use a converter, but I still felt apprehensive about it all.

Well today the Chaffle Maker arrived five days earlier than they said, so I've just had a frantic search for a converter purchased earlier on in the year for use in different countries. Fitted it, everything appeared OK, looked up a chaffle recipe on You Tube and just made two incredible cheese waffles! They were astonishingly good! And very filling. Satisfying that need for something carby. Wow, I'm so delighted.

Having a chaffle maker opens up so many possibilities for different meal choices. Poached, scrambled, fried eggs on a waffle, as a side with egg, bacon, mushrooms, a mini pizza to have with a salad. I haven't even thought about deserts yet. But you know all this without me rambling on!

The recipe I used included cheese and almond flour, which made the chaffles quite substantial.

Kind regards to everyone and thanks for your support. I'm off now to make another chaffle!

Reactions: Redshank

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

First of all I would like to express my thanks for all the concern shown about the safety of the Dash Mini Waffle Maker I'd ordered from Amazon (USA), and it was appreciated because I've no expertise on electrical goods. I did go on the Amazon USA website and asked the question whether it could be used in the UK, and they said to either change the plug or else use a converter, but I still felt apprehensive about it all.

Well today the Chaffle Maker arrived five days earlier than they said, so I've just had a frantic search for a converter purchased earlier on in the year for use in different countries. Fitted it, everything appeared OK, looked up a chaffle recipe on You Tube and just made two incredible cheese waffles! They were astonishingly good! And very filling. Satisfying that need for something carby. Wow, I'm so delighted.

Having a chaffle maker opens up so many possibilities for different meal choices. Poached, scrambled, fried eggs on a waffle, as a side with egg, bacon, mushrooms, a mini pizza to have with a salad. I haven't even thought about deserts yet. But you know all this without me rambling on!

The recipe I used included cheese and almond flour, which made the chaffles quite substantial.

Kind regards to everyone and thanks for your support. I'm off now to make another chaffle!
I am surprised it worked and still a bit worried about the safety aspect. The converter you mention, is it a fairly large piece of equipment or just a plug adapter? Was there any mention of the voltage on the device or the box?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Gracie204 - I'm pleased you are happy with things, but, please, PLEASE do not leave the thing plugged in and unattended, even if you can switch it off. If there are any signs of overheating, or peculiar smells from it, turn it off immediately.

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The converter is one that I purchased this year when I went to Egypt and quite complicated. It can be used in quite a few different countries. I purchased it from John Lewis. As mentioned, I did ask the question on the Amazon site whether the DASH could be used in the UK and they said to change the plug on the waffle maker or else use a converter. I used the converter and it worked beautifully! It says on the box 350 watts.

And thank you DCUK for your concern. I'll certainly not leave it plugged in unattended for any length of time.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is the volts which are the important thing, the difference being we are on 220 volts here whilst the US is 110volts.
I'd not advise just changing the plug, but as you have an adapter which seems to work that seems the way to go with it.
I'm still experimenting with different options with mine, but they are certainly useful little devices.