Again mixed up my fiasp with tresiba!

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
***** 3rd time I got into this mess again last night. Different colour pens, but somehow got the cartridges mixed up; I’m a bit colour blind btw.

A few late nights and beers and taking basal at night can sometimes be problematic for me. Think my red basal pen ran out the night before, it was late and I must have accidentally loaded the fiasp cartridge into my tresiba pen by mistake.

Next night then turned to disaster, worsened by topping up with 3 fiasp (as 10bg at bedtime) plus 11.5units of fiasp (which should have been tresiba!). Came out of sleep one later with a bg 1.0! On brink of coma, sweat everywhere. Sorted it in the end after 2 yoghurts and endless breakfast bars.

Of course then woke up in morning to a bg of 18. ***** nights like that put you into a diabetes depression! So a day of endless testing and inj in order to stabilize things again (a **** Sunday).

It’s like the old diesel/petrol problems. Can we have a physical difference in the cartridge and pen so you can’t mix the **** things up.

Anyone else got into this mess?

Maybe I should go basal dose in the morning when I'm more awake?

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Basal in the morning sounds like a plan. Or labelled pens maybe.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Basal in the morning may help as @Diakat suggested, myself however I have the tresiba in cartridges and the fiasp in reusable pens - thus one is metal and one is plastic so they feel different when you pick them up :)

Reactions: Diakat

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Basal in the morning may help as @Diakat suggested, myself however I have the tresiba in cartridges and the fiasp in reusable pens - thus one is metal and one is plastic so they feel different when you pick them up :)
I much prefer the novopen 5 over the reusables which just feel naff to me. I generally have two fiasp novopens in circulation. But certainly a reusable for once a day tresiba sounds like a plan.
Only problem, I do go to the half units on my tresiba (novopen echo), plus of course the ability to record the dose. So not sure now tbf.

Last edited:

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there any change in characteristic, taking tresiba in the morning. I often cycle to work 13miles it would seem wierd to take a large insulin dose before exercise. Plus always the danger of hitting a blood vessel, which I don't seem to get too often, I guess the 5mm needles may help.
What is the preferred tresiba dose time?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the Tresiba in one off pens and the Fiasp in a novopen 5, reducing the risk of mistakes. For me the memory function is much more important with Fiasp.
You can also buy timesulin caps for the single use pen, but I haven't.
Recently I started moving my Tresiba to another spot after injecting in bed, and putting the box on top of my Fiasp to make sure to remember to move it to it's usual spot. Seems to work.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there any change in characteristic, taking tresiba in the morning. I often cycle to work 13miles it would seem wierd to take a large insulin dose before exercise. Plus always the danger of hitting a blood vessel, which I don't seem to get too often, I guess the 5mm needles may help.
What is the preferred tresiba dose time?
It shouldn't make a difference with Tresiba. I only take it before bed because, well, I don't know really.

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It shouldn't make a difference with Tresiba. I only take it before bed because, well, I don't know really.
It feels natural to me to take basal at night especially coming from levemir. But late nights, tiredness, alcohol and things can go wrong on rare occasions. And it's a mess when things go wrong as we all know!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And it's a mess when things go wrong as we all know!
I'll never forget the night when out of hours basically gave me the choice of coming in (a taxi ride of around 100 euro's) or waking up my neighbour to sit through the night with me, playing board games and eating.
Thank goodness for cool neighbours!

Reactions: Zinadane

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll never forget the night when out of hours basically gave me the choice of coming in (a taxi ride of around 100 euro's) or waking up my neighbour to sit through the night with me, playing board games and eating.
Thank goodness for cool neighbours!
For me the worst one was having the ambulance turn up 3am when my wife couldn't sort me out, after a insulin mix up again. Embarrassing to walk down the cul-de-sac the next morning

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
I do my Tresiba first thing in the morning before breakfast. I am forgetful and work tires me out so I would rather crash and sleep than panic to think whether I took my basal or not. I get up, scan libre and finger prick to confirm - if I’m low, I treat and wait to resume back to normal levels and then proceed on with Tresiba and breakfast. I have two different pens - red novopen for fiasp because the cartridge is red/yellow and blue pen for Tresiba. They are both half unit pens and shows when you last took your dose. After I’m done with Tresiba, I place back into my bright orange pen pot and leave fiasp pen out because I use fiasp more often.

Reactions: Zinadane

abek

hi was wondering if its worth the change from novorapid to fiasp and if there are any side affects the first few days

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me 100% worth the change IMO. Faster more powerful. Drop dosage by about 30% i think is the startup guideline.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I had always kept my long acting insulin in a vial because that was once a day shot. And my fast acting in a pen. That way I knew I would never mix them up!

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, just to report that so far switching to first thing in the morning Tresiba dosing has been a great success for me. I have found that I needed a slightly larger dose (from 12 to 14 units) not sure if that's significant to the timing or maybe just a change I needed. But in general BS levels seem more stable.
No forgotten doses yet and it's nice to go to bed without the Tresiba dose on your mind, I just ensure my BS is good with maybe a fiasp adjustment if needed before sleep.
The only slight snag is that being able to switch off from taking nightime tresiba, meant I forgot to take my simvastatin/ramipril tabs. Just wondering whether to also switch those to the morning; do others who may be also on these preventive meds take them in evening or morning, I presume it shouldn't matter?

Reactions: Marie 2