What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This morning I tried having a mug of chicken broth early on (only a mug of hot water before it) fir which I took a slightly smaller than usual dose of insulin. FBG was 10.9 and that dropped to 6.4 at 11 am.

As I suggested yesterday, I made cauliflower rice kedgeree for my meal - which I just had (5.30 pm - BG back up to 9.5). I toasted the cauliflower really well in the oven to dry it as much as possible and used smoked mackerel as the fish element. Not the finest thing I have ever cooked, but it was edible and I'm hoping for great things from it (relating to my constipation).

Neil took me shopping in the morning but, as I should have realised, there was no ferry due to the weather, so the shops were pretty well depleted. But, in the second supermarket we visited, Neil managed to get me a small cauliflower. Not the freshest - must have been left over from last week, and a bit soft, but it did the job. He also managed to get me some salmon - one packet left and it was half a side. Prefer my salmon fresh, not in a packet and I was hoping for a complete side to make gravlax. But it will have to do. At least it wasn't frozen.

To add to my worries, Neil's sarcoidosis seems to have affected more of him than we previously thought. It seems it has probably caused the membrane around the aqueous humour in his right eye to harden and peel away - apparently not too unusual, but in peeling away it has caused a bleed into his eye. He actually felt it tearing away when he was on his way to the optomotrist to see what was wrong. And now he has a huge floater in his eye which he has to peer through. Unfortunately, that is the better eye as well. He's less uncomfortable about it than me. I have forbidden him to do any heavy work, or to bend down too much; just to be on the safe side. Not sure that one gets to forbid Neil anything though.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
G'morning (said in a cold-filled croaky voice, punctuated by a sneeze)

Hug for the cold. They are miserable things, aren't they? Make you feel awful but you have to be brave and say "it's just a cold - I'm OK". At least you do if you are female. Hope it clears up soon and you feel a whole lot better.

Edited to fix typo. Why don't they ever show themselves until you've already posted?

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. @shelley262 hope dentist went as well as it could and healing is quick. @Chook hope the cold soon goes. @Annb hug for your son. Breakfast (in hotel) 2 x gouda and salami rollitos - I made them then scrambled egg, mushrooms and tomatoes ( turns out no smoked salmon at breakfast these days - poor effort). Lunch = tea in car; Evening = cheese and avocado salad with chia seeds and linseeds - has been sorely missed.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening All. @Annb sorry your son is suffering and really hope you will get back on track yourself, complete respect for your effort and attitude.
Today had usual breskfast of slice LivLife toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch on the run was Serrano & Manchego rollitos.
Supper: left overs of Chicken & Mushroom (not casserole) and veg.
@shelley262 sending you get well wishes.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over cold roast chicken with leafy salad followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: Keralan chicken curry with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Edit for typo

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 hope all went well today and you are recovering nicely now.
Today Im still full of cold and feeling grotty. Didn’t eat til lunchtime - egg mayo in a LoDough wrap which was boring but took little effort.
Dinner, also the path of least resistance. Supposed to be lasagne. I cooked the mince a couple of days ago but didn’t have the energy to make lasagne sheets so just mixed it with grated cheese and chucked in an ovenproof dish. Topped with a mixture of stuff I had in the fridge. 1 egg, some cream, mayo and mozzarella. It was hot and filling.
@Annb your account of your poor son’s eye problem sounds horrible hope you can convince him to rest up.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@shelley262 hope all went well today and you are recovering nicely now.
Today Im still full of cold and feeling grotty. Didn’t eat til lunchtime - egg mayo in a LoDough wrap which was boring but took little effort.
Dinner, also the path of least resistance. Supposed to be lasagne. I cooked the mince a couple of days ago but didn’t have the energy to make lasagne sheets so just mixed it with grated cheese and chucked in an ovenproof dish. Topped with a mixture of stuff I had in the fridge. 1 egg, some cream, mayo and mozzarella. It was hot and filling.
@Annb your account of your poor son’s eye problem sounds horrible hope you can convince him to rest up.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Reactions: DJC3

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 10/12/19
Breakfast: Usual low carb porridge with 90g greek yoghurt
Lunch: 100g iceberg lettuce, 100g ham, 20g full fat New Zealand Cheddar
Dinner: Other batch of savory mince, with one XL fried egg on top.
Learning to use new inverter microwave, managed to get the power settings right and time right, so I could zap the leftovers so they were hot without splattering the microwave. Also just wow inverter microwaves are so good.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today 10/12/19
Breakfast: Usual low carb porridge with 90g greek yoghurt
Lunch: 100g iceberg lettuce, 100g ham, 20g full fat New Zealand Cheddar
Dinner: Other batch of savory mince, with one XL fried egg on top.
Learning to use new inverter microwave, managed to get the power settings right and time right, so I could zap the leftovers so they were hot without splattering the microwave. Also just wow inverter microwaves are so good.

We're on our second inverter microwave and love it. Ours does all the usual other bits too - oven grill and so on. It's astonishing in that when we chose the first one, one of the major criteria was the downward opening door.

Some of those things work out better than others!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
'Morning peeps!

What rubbish weather it is today - monsoon like rain and strong wind

@Annb - big hug to your Neil for his eye which sounds awful and I hope you're feeling better - nowt so miserable as constipation, it dominates everything. I find a meal that contains a combination of brussels sprouts and rhubarb (not necessarily eaten at the same time) always sorts out that problem. :wideyed:
@ianpspurs - that breakfast in the hotel sounds lovely but I'm sure you're enjoying getting back to your normal way of eating. Where do you get your avocados - the last few I've bought have been black inside which has put me off buying them.
@DJC3 - I hope you're feeling better today, too.
@shelley262 - I hope your dentist visit okay and that you aren't in too much pain.
@Brunneria - how do you make that hot chocolate? I think its hot chocolate weather at the moment.

I'm feeling considerably better today - but Mr C has got it now and, of course, for him its flu! Even going to pick up the new car a day early didn't make him feel any better.

Despite being full of cold yesterday, I still managed to eat normally - it takes more than a cold to put me off my food (unfortunately). So, yesterday....

Sunday bed: 6.2

Monday FBG: 7.8
Breakfast - chaffle with carb free syrup
2 hours after: 8.3

Lunch: 6.8
Advent calendar cheese and a black coffee
2 hours after: 6.1

Dinner: 5.5
Cauliflower, fennel, broccoli and mushroom bake (odds and ends from the fridge) baked then an egg, cream, smoked cheese mixture poured over and baked some more until golden - very nice! Eaten with the last helping of the Saturday roast.
2 hours after: 5.8

Bedtime: 6.3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
'Morning peeps!

What rubbish weather it is today - monsoon like rain and strong wind

@Annb - big hug to your Neil for his eye which sounds awful and I hope you're feeling better - nowt so miserable as constipation, it dominates everything. I find a meal that contains a combination of brussels sprouts and rhubarb (not necessarily eaten at the same time) always sorts out that problem. :wideyed:
@ianpspurs - that breakfast in the hotel sounds lovely but I'm sure you're enjoying getting back to your normal way of eating. Where do you get your avocados - the last few I've bought have been black inside which has put me off buying them.
@DJC3 - I hope you're feeling better today, too.
@shelley262 - I hope your dentist visit okay and that you aren't in too much pain.
@Brunneria - how do you make that hot chocolate? I think its hot chocolate weather at the moment.

I'm feeling considerably better today - but Mr C has got it now and, of course, for him its flu! Even going to pick up the new car a day early didn't make him feel any better.

Despite being full of cold yesterday, I still managed to eat normally - it takes more than a cold to put me off my food (unfortunately). So, yesterday....

Sunday bed: 6.2

Monday FBG: 7.8
Breakfast - chaffle with carb free syrup
2 hours after: 8.3

Lunch: 6.8
Advent calendar cheese and a black coffee
2 hours after: 6.1

Dinner: 5.5
Cauliflower, fennel, broccoli and mushroom bake (odds and ends from the fridge) baked then an egg, cream, smoked cheese mixture poured over and baked some more until golden - very nice! Eaten with the last helping of the Saturday roast.
2 hours after: 5.8

Bedtime: 6.3
Glad you are feeling better and new car is arriving today. Your bg levels seem to be responding to all your hard work. I buy most avocados from Morrisons - usually the wonky ones, which can take ages to ripen, but I do also buy from Waitrose and if I am forced to go to strange places use Lidl or for massive ones M and S. As far as constipation is concerned I am pretty sure it is yet another occupational hazard of LC eating hence all my salads having chia seeds and linseeds. I don't even want to imagine what carni would be like for me :arghh::arghh::arghh:

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook

I put cocoa powder (or hotel chocolat batons) in a mug.
Pour on boiling water.
Blend (using aerolatte cos it gives some fab froth).
Top up with more hot water and double cream.
Sweeten as necessary (I use erythritol with the pure cocoa powder, but don’t sweeten the batons).

love it.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Cauliflower rice works absolutely beautifully for me. I only had 2/3 of the kedgeree last evening and had the other 1/3 at about 12 today. The second third just to reinforce the message to my gut but it wasn't really needed. I will just have to keep lots of cauliflower in hand to use as a laxative when required. Oddly, it only seems to work when it is in the rice form, baked, boiled or roasted florets don't do it. Probably a good idea to rice lots and freeze it (for medicinal use).

So that was my main meal for the day - might have scrambled egg this evening - tummy might be feeling pretty empty by then. Lots of water and tea, of course. I really have to remind myself to keep drinking - a young friend, home from America briefly, who is a well qualified and experienced nurse, was commenting that one problem she has come across with low carb diets is that people don't take in enough fluids and, when they don't, they can damage their kidneys. Not a good thing if you are already on medication which can adversely affect your kidneys. I know that my kidneys are deteriorating (CKD stage 3b) and that is why I have been trying to step up the fluids. I really must make the effort to keep it up.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. @shelley262 I hope the extraction is healing well. Tea for B; More tea; L= avocado and tinned mackerel salad with chia seeds and linseeds; 2 packs of pork scratchings from Advent calendar = <1 0z; Evening =-78 gms Black bomber cheese and LC cocoa made with almond milk. On no exercise regime so plenty of food there. May try some hot/warm food tomorrow but with central heating, a multi fuel stove, base layers and modern clothing not really needed - tea and cocoa do the job and I like them.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all -thanks for all your thoughts and wishes I’ve had a difficult few days......spent 45 mins in the dentists chair yesterday! OH wondered what was happening! Extraction difficult and ended up needing some gum surgery too to drain the abscess and also him calling,in a desperate tone! , for the forceps as the root had fractured! Didn’t know there were dental forceps - almost funny had I not been suffering! looking back I should have done what my autistic son does whenever he’s in a challenging situation and wear headphones with soothing music! I wouldn’t have heard the shouting and drama! He also shouted for gelatin packs to stop the bleeding and it did cross my mind what if I’d been a vegan - he never asked! As if! I’ve felt traumatised to be honest but had to keep going with mum here and also had a caring issue with autistic son to deal with today - still I’m fine, the paracetamol works, hopefully abscess will become a thing of the past and I managed to eat this evening!
Stuck to black tea, coffee with cream and water yesterday and today in the day but managed some dinner tonight managing some scrambled eggs. Hoping back to normal tomorrow.

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast - 1 Staffordshire oatcake, three slices of black pudding, 1 cup of celestial jasmine tea, espresso
Lunch - forgot to have any, black coffee
Evening meal - A spicy chicken dish which included onions and some other veg kindly made by my future daughter-in-law, fruit yogurt, an apple and a gin and tonic.

Taken all my meds as and when prescribed.

My BG started at 17.7 this morning and has been into double figures all day. No wonder my avatar looks like it does.