Hypo - Good News or Bad?

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
I have been following a LCHF diet with a bit of 16:8 just recently.

I had my first hypo in years and that made me excited because I knew what it meant. So I think the actual hypo is not good news, but what it means - my BS is coming down - is great news.

I currently take 2 x Gliclozide morning and night. I am so keen to reduce this amount. I also take one Empagliflozin.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I think you need to talk to your HCP asap about what you are taking. Or this will continue to happen, and possibly at the worst possible time is the last thing you want.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been following a LCHF diet with a bit of 16:8 just recently.

I had my first hypo in years and that made me excited because I knew what it meant. So I think the actual hypo is not good news, but what it means - my BS is coming down - is great news.

I currently take 2 x Gliclozide morning and night. I am so keen to reduce this amount. I also take one Empagliflozin.
Yeah... I get the enthusiasm, but careful here. @Tophat1900 has an excellent point, and I wholeheartedly agree. Speak to your doc about coming off the medication as soon as you can. And test before you start your car. If you're under 5.0 mmol/l, you're not insured in case you have an accident.

Reactions: DumfriesDik

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is some info out there about how various low carb medical professionals advise ppl to handle reducing meds when they switch to low carb - precisely to avoid the risk of hypos.

I believe that Jason Fung takes his patients off at least 50% of their meds very quickly, but I am afraid I cannot remember the details. Can anyone else?

I would definitely go back to your doc or nurse and discuss medication reduction with them.
The stats from Virta, which is a paid for American low carb organisation (usually paid for by American health insurance) is that they get t2 patients to reduce their meds by 87% within 10 weeks
https://www.virtahealth.com/thevirtatreatment

So I suggest you get the meds reduced asap, or you will see more hypos in future...

Congrats by the way! Not on the hypo, of course, but on the way you have tackled this and are obviously making fantastic reductions in your blood glucose. :)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with everyone else- congratulations now off to your doctor in a hurry. It is great to see that with the right advice it is possible to reduce your meds.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on taking control of your diet!
I agree with getting a review with your medical team, however did you actually take a reading while feeling hypo. I say this as it may have been a false hypo, that is your level dropped to lower than your body has been used to but not as low as a clinically defined hypo?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I believe that Jason Fung takes his patients off at least 50% of their meds very quickly, but I am afraid I cannot remember the details.

Never mind what Jason Fung said to his patients, the OP is not one of his patients

I would definitely go back to your doc or nurse and discuss medication reduction with them.

Should have come before what Jason Fung recommends!

ANYWAY...... @DumfriesDik I would be getting in touch with your HCP and take their advice. Good luck

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never mind what Jason Fung said to his patients, the OP is not one of his patients

Hi @porl69

@DumfriesDik and I have previously discussed Jason Fung on the forum, and Dumfries is a keen reader of his work, so my comment was relevant to the discussion on this thread, and (hopefully) of interest to him.

Reactions: Robbity

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @porl69

@DumfriesDik and I have previously discussed Jason Fung on the forum, and Dumfries is a keen reader of his work, so my comment was relevant to the discussion on this thread, and (hopefully) of interest to him.

Still seems we are giving medical advice which is a no no on the forum????

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@porl69

Please reread my post. In particular the sections that you yourself chose to quote. No medical advice given. Simply a sharing of information - the same kind of info sharing that happens all over this forum every day.

However, I do agree with you that giving medical advice is against the forum rules, and should therefore be reported (using the Report button below the post in question). If you feel that one of my, or anyone else's posts break the forum rules, then please report it in the appropriate manner.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some posts have been deleted for bickering and derailing the thread. Please respect the OP by responding only with points relevant to the question posted. Further bickering or derailing posts on this thread will be deleted.

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
Well done on taking control of your diet!
I agree with getting a review with your medical team, however did you actually take a reading while feeling hypo. I say this as it may have been a false hypo, that is your level dropped to lower than your body has been used to but not as low as a clinically defined hypo?

BS was 3.4.

Can I thank you all for your kind comments. I will seek medical advice before changing anything. My bloods are so fricken good at the moment I can barely contain my excitement. I never thought I would have a hypo!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
BS was 3.4.

Can I thank you all for your kind comments. I will seek medical advice before changing anything. My bloods are so fricken good at the moment I can barely contain my excitement. I never thought I would have a hypo!

Hi there..

It does look from some of your other posts, that the diatary choice has had a positive effect on BG. Plus the added bonus of weight loss.
I have no experience of the medications you are prescribed. But you do seem to be experiencing some lower level BGs. From what you are testing?

I'm just rising from a mid 3 pointer myself.. Pending on state of mind it can for me feel like a lottery win & "yer lucky night." ;) (Back in the "zone" now.)
A friend of mine with a young T1 kid mentioned her girl said, "it felt like Christmas..?" Yeah, I could go with "that" 43 years ago..?
Of course not all syptoms of a low are the same & some can sort of creep up.?

Why am I writing all this..? Pretty much your hypo excitement prompted me? Stay happy but safe.

As with any change with regards to a condition, it's always recomended to seek a HCP review...

I wish you all the best on your next appointment.. :)

Last edited:

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
Why am I writing all this..? Pretty much your hypo excitement prompted me? Stay happy but safe.

Thanks for your kind words and sharing a similar experience. All the best.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your kind words and sharing a similar experience. All the best.

No problem! From a T1 perspective, if was experiencing too many lows (or indeed going the other way?) then it would be back to basics looking at the meds. Of course, the odd one each way can be just down to "user error" with exogenous insulin. ;)

A low's a low on any possible hypo inducing meds. If I'm correct? Your's also increase insulin sensitivity too.

I look forward to your next chapter & hear what the doc said. :)

Keep testing & logging those numbers. Especially any more lows. Please treat the low first & test with clean hands, there will be a little lag, so it should show on your meter? & possibly drop a little further, even though you have eaten before a registered rise..

Hope this helps?!

Mike Sixx

Yeah... I get the enthusiasm, but careful here. @Tophat1900 has an excellent point, and I wholeheartedly agree. Speak to your doc about coming off the medication as soon as you can. And test before you start your car. If you're under 5.0 mmol/l, you're not insured in case you have an accident.

Really ?
But I though normal fasting range is 3.9-7.2 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_sugar_level)
So at 3.9 non-diabetic person is not even outside of normal healthy range.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Really ?
But I though normal fasting range is 3.9-7.2 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_sugar_level)
It's a safety measure for people on blood glocose lowering medication to leave some room before things get dangerous.
And the rule is to not drive under 4, and wait for an amount of time after going above 4 again. Between 4 and 5 you can drive, provided you eat something.

For diabetics not on medication that can cause hypo's this isn't relevant. On diet only or on metformin the DVLA isn't interested in any way.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really ?
@Antje77 beat me to it. ;) It's not how low you are when you drive, it's how much lower the medication can force you to go from that point; you can hypo whilst driving, technically speaking. Not going to happen if you're not on gliclazide or insulin (or similar).