What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just checking in. @gennepher you had an eventful day. It is good that cafes are willing to help the homeless, as you are. I am glad you got to your Christmas lunch but with all the traffic I’m sure you were worn out when you got back. Try and have a quiet day tomo and take care.

Reactions: ianpspurs

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just checking in. @gennepher you had an eventful day. It is good that cafes are willing to help the homeless, as you are. I am glad you got to your Christmas lunch but with all the traffic I’m sure you were worn out when you got back. Try and have a quiet day tomo and take care.

Thank you @PenguinMum

I do need a quiet day in bed. I am knackered now!

I will be making a whiskey hot toddy with honey in a bit. Still on couch with cat and electric blanket. But will be in bed shortly.

You have a good night
>^••^<

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @PenguinMum

I do need a quiet day in bed. I am knackered now!

I will be making a whiskey hot toddy with honey in a bit. Still on couch with cat and electric blanket. But will be in bed shortly.

You have a good night
>^••^<
Hey a cat a rug and a drink are my answer to every ill. You and Popeye enjoy.

Reactions: jjraak

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Observation from another thread on this site ...

We are not allowed to post 4-letter terms for roosters, 5-letter names of women such as Miss Brice and Miss Hill, and yet we are allowed to post the word hell.
Does that make sense to you? It doesn't to me.

Not sure why you consider 'hell' alongside derogatory or demeaning words, especially as it's a misinterpretation that only occurs post-King James version. The original word 'sheol' meaning grave or death. The KJB actually uses both translations of 'sheol' equally. I was fascinated by the concept of 'hell' as a child and looked into it extensively, hence reaching the conclusion that it is purely a mistranslation and not worthy of being used to deride, inflame, or denounce. Hope that helps :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The person who posted it was IMO using it in all 3 of those ways, instead of in any theological sense; whereas I think it's hilarious (and also very silly) that the site *s out the 4-letter word for "rooster" and the 5-letter woman's name when they are not being used in any derogatory, inflammatory, or denunciatory way. :)

Not sure why you consider 'hell' alongside derogatory or demeaning words, especially as it's a misinterpretation that only occurs post-King James version. The original word 'sheol' meaning grave or death. The KJB actually uses both translations of 'sheol' equally. I was fascinated by the concept of 'hell' as a child and looked into it extensively, hence reaching the conclusion that it is purely a mistranslation and not worthy of being used to deride, inflame, or denounce. Hope that helps :)

Reactions: UserABC2021

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The person who posted it was IMO using it in all 3 of those ways, instead of in any theological sense; whereas I think it's hilarious (and also very silly) that the site *s out the 4-letter word for "rooster" and the 5-letter woman's name when they are not being used in any derogatory, inflammatory, or denunciatory way. :)

I agree, as I've said before the *s are generated from a style sheet and are automatic. The programmers can add (or remove) words they find offensive and when the process isn't managed tightly you will get instances of harmless words being flagged. Also, bear in mind that someone had to put those terms onto the sheet and if it was the original owner (Arjun Panasar), who is a Sikh we should bear in mind that Sikhism has no concept of hell.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you eat dark chocolate previously? I can’t believe I’m enjoying 100% cocoa stuff these days! I only used to eat milk chocolate before diagnosis but it’d actually be far too sweet for me now. Amazing how our tastes can change.
Gas delivery just arrived. Hurrah! We can have hot water and heat in all the rooms now.
I am finding even 85% is too sweet for me now, 90% is OK but I have noticed a remarkable difference in the Carbs per 100gram across different makes, at the moment the lowest I can find locally is Lindt at 14g of carbs per 100g.

Glad you have gas again but your log stove looks very cosy. Now our chimney is swept we can light ours again but have hardly had time with the hospital dash each day.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The furry hot water bottle is the best!
Not if it's our Labrador at 36 Kilo :joyful:

Just in case you all get a picture of a very fat Labrador he's not, he's just a very big powerful Champagne coloured dog who's spent his life on a very strict diet because of intolerance to rich dog foods and certainly no tit bits allowed.

Oh and another reason you would not want him on your lap is he molts constantly.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The cafe I had retreated to earlier was also serving homeless people.
From time spent volunteering with The Samaritans and Shelter I found out just how alarmingly easy it is to find yourself homless almost in the blink of an eye. Then the hopless situation of trying to get help, for years The Salvation Army was the only refuge available late at night, it's heartbreaking to hear some of the paths people's lives take.

Whilst waiting in the hospital sitting in a corridor on Saturday I noticed the many security staff walking about, apparently looking for "rough sleepers" taking advantage of the hospital waiting areas and facilities as though they were relatives waiting for someone, desperate humans, difficult situations for the hospital.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not if it's our Labrador at 36 Kilo :joyful:

Just in case you all get a picture of a very fat Labrador he's not, he's just a very big powerful Champagne coloured dog who's spent his life on a very strict diet because of intolerance to rich dog foods and certainly no tit bits allowed.

Oh and another reason you would not want him on your lap is he molts constantly.

I will pass on the 36 kg dog...actually a 12 kg cat is like a lump of lead if you want to get up...

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was fascinated by the concept of 'hell
I was dragged up as a Methodist through my childhood and teenage years, I now consider myself Christian but have no time for any organised religion. For many years I had a very simplistic view of heaven and hell, later becoming fascinated by Miltons descriptions which I no longer take literally but they still send shivers down my spine.....

hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky
With hideous ruin and combustion down
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell
In adamantine chains and penal fire ... his (Satan's) horrid crew
Lay vanquished, rolling in the fiery gulf.

Not a nice place to be and that's just the start.....great imagery.

However I am not all dark I am also fascinated by Angels, but some of those are also very scary.

Edit.. @gennepher but not your parking angel bet it's wonderful.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Every cloud has a silver lining, although we’ve no central heating until the gas is delivered, Mr C is gradually clearing the shed and has made a cosy fire in the woodburner with a lot of the burnable wood. View attachment 37113
Genius. And I love your brickwork!!!

Sorry about your shed. The weather is atrocious!!!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That wind was vicious @DJC3

I went in a shop opposite the dentist that had the back doors open for a delivery, then a sudden wind gust came in and channelled up the aisle, blew stuff off shelves and me backwards.

I am beginning to think it would have been better and safer to stay at home.

Getting back to the car, I passed a homeless man in a doorway just as another homeless man came to see if he was okay. (I have seen them before) I asked if I could give them the change in my pocket. It was only a few pounds and I apologised it wasn't more. But they were both pleased. They were sleeping out in this foul wind and weather.

The cafe I had retreated to earlier was also serving homeless people. In the toilet facilities was a tap where you were invited to fill your water bottle. I had never been in this cafe before, but the other cafe over the road was dealing with a burst water pipe and the road was being dug up. The cafe serving people were very kind to all their customers.

Actually I have a bad cough that I have had for a week now, and they were asking if I was okay and one of the servers put their arm on my back to check I was okay. And I am thinking surely I don't look that ill? That wind wasn't easy to breathe in.

I went a different route back to the Xmas Party, it took me quite a few more extra miles but I got there okay. The coughing had abated a lot by being indoors. But all I wanted was to go home and to my electric blanket (which those homeless men cannot do).

I came home and crashed out. Just woke up now. Cat is on me keeping me warmer.

You were unlucky with your shed, but lucky it didn't damage someone else's stuff.

https://bbc.in/2RGB1nI

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure certain words set off automatic alarms.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From time spent volunteering with The Samaritans and Shelter I found out just how alarmingly easy it is to find yourself homless almost in the blink of an eye. Then the hopless situation of trying to get help, for years The Salvation Army was the only refuge available late at night, it's heartbreaking to hear some of the paths people's lives take.

Whilst waiting in the hospital sitting in a corridor on Saturday I noticed the many security staff walking about, apparently looking for "rough sleepers" taking advantage of the hospital waiting areas and facilities as though they were relatives waiting for someone, desperate humans, difficult situations for the hospital.

I gave a hug for your post, not just for you, but because everyone needs kindness and understanding. In my experience, reasons for homelessness are varied.

As a 13 year old I befriended a tramp (as you called them in those days) and I would sit on the park bench with him on the way home from school and talked with him. His name was Big Ernie. I found out from the park keeper that he'd had a wife and family and money, but his world war 2 experiences in the army had led him to be this way.

When I left home I found myself homeless. I did try sleeping on park benches but the police moved me on. I ended up breaking into someone's house so I could sleep the night. Maybe not my best idea, but there appeared to be no one there. Early next morning I left and hitchhiked for the M1. From there I hitched a lift all the way to London. I still remember that ride. It was an apple green Citroen 2CV. I remember the guy too. He wouldn't let me put on the seat belt, because there had been a tragic car accident where his wife had burnt to death in the car because she couldn't get the seat belt off. He insisted on me staying at his place until I found my feet. He was okay and kind, but I disappeared on him a few days later. I kept moving and hitch hiking. I've been manhandled out of shops. I was only 17 at the time, and returning home wasn't an option at that moment. Then some time later I ended up in a very regimented hostel for women, we slept in a dorm. Got bits and pieces of jobs. And moved on with life from there.

I have always talked with homeless people.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was dragged up as a Methodist through my childhood and teenage years, I now consider myself Christian but have no time for any organised religion. For many years I had a very simplistic view of heaven and hell, later becoming fascinated by Miltons descriptions which I no longer take literally but they still send shivers down my spine.....

However I am not all dark I am also fascinated by Angels, but some of those are also very scary.

Re: scary angels: I remember a clergyman once saying that they very likely look scary: almost invariably when an angel appears to a man or woman in the Bible the first thing the angel says is "Fear not"! I don't think even the cherubim are quite what a lot of people consider "cherubic" in appearance.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 8.6

I have a lurgy of some sort, a bit of a temperature, had a whiskey&honey hot toddy last night (it was good and gave me some sleep and I can breathe), had a Xmas meal yesterday & I did eat a couple roast potatoes & Xmas pud (which was actually delicious)& a home made Xmas pie (which was superb!).

So I was way above my 20 carb allowance for the day.

I have cancelled the Xmas meal I was due to attend on Wednesday. That was the last one.

I need to get back to my 'normal' eating pronto.

So a day in bed today under the electric blanket.

Have a good day.
Live in the moment.
Be grateful for everything around you, and be grateful for everything (bad as well as good) that brought you to this amazing point in your life.

Take care

>^••^<

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.1 this morning... so close, and I have no idea how I did it as I wasn't particularly good yesterday. However, I will gladly accept that number :)

I was a fan too, studied comparative religion but I'm not a follower. Angels were my favourite once I ventured into the realms of the Qabbalah and the Qlipoth. The angelic wars showed me that those 'creations' were to be feared and that, at their core, they were not friends of humanity. They do have a direct comparison within paganism with the Fae or Sidhe realms though and I remember a radio news report in Eire about a farmer who was terrified because he inadvertantly damaged a fairy mound.