Essential info for choosing a pump

icarusman

I've been busy trawling through the mass of NHS sites to find some clear info on what pumps are available. I know this question has been asked, and answered before, but I wanted to see some definitive info.

On my travels I came across the Centre for Evidence-based Purchasing (CEP), which is the department of the NHS which publishes recommendations on the use of medical devices. They have produced 'buyers guides' for a number of devices, including insulin pumps.

The guide covers all the aspects of choosing a pump, and also includes ratings based on the opinions of diabetics using the devices. I have provided a direct link to the guide as I feel it would be invaluable to anyone deciding on what they need from a pump.

This is publicly available information, so I hope that there is no issue with posting it here.

http://www.pasa.nhs.uk/pasa/Doc.aspx?Pa ... P08004.pdf

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Thanks!

You can also find out which insulin pumps are available in the UK from the NICE Guidelines. They are listed in the with costs.

Fearless Finn

Just to point out to everyone that currently the market for insulin pumps & CGMs in the UK is changing so rapidly that reports like the one quoted as well as nICE Technology Appraisals get out-of-date very quickly. The Purchasing Guide is already badly out of date: it does not take into account, as stated, that Cozmo has disappeared; that Animas 2020 is now marketed by Animas Corporation, not by Advanced Therapeutics UK; that Accu-Chek Combo (Roche) pump is now here; that Medtronic Paradigm Veo has been launched in the UK (albeit currently awaiting the 2nd version due to discovered software problems); that Cellnovo tubeless minipump has been launched; that Medtronic pumps communicate with CGM and that DexCom Seven Plus, Abbott Navigator 1.5 are already here, and will soon be integrated into a number of the pumps mentioned. The price guide also is going to be invalid soon if not already.
The future is here.... :wink: 8)

Reactions: 2 people

jenniheppy

Thank you for this information. I have been told by my consultant that it would be best for me to go onto a pump. I am trying to research as much information as I can before I commit. I have looked at the information and I have found it to be very helpful and this will help me in making my choice. I am just waiting for an appointment to speak to a pump user then I will make my final decision.

Hba1c 11.5

Hellyb

Hi My daughter was given a pump about a month ago. The PCT at the time didn't supply pumps to children but over the past 12 months the diabetic team did lots of research into the right pump to offer when they gained funding. We have a very upto date pump, it is a ACCU-CHEK Aviva Combo made by Roche. The pump can be hidden anywhere and then you operate it by using a remote control. You use the remote to test your BM, once your settings are done the remote will work out your insulin and any corrections that need to be made, all you have to do is put in the amount of carbohydates in the food you are about to eat. All the information can be transferred to your computer where you can display it in many different formats and you can see where trends may be forming. You can set 5 different programes, ie another insulin regime for perhaps when on holiday, menstral, weekends. Its really easy to use and the support from Roche is fantastic, 24 hr telephone support which is based in England and I think Roche technicians have to be trained diabetic nurses so you are always guaranteed good advice if you need it. Well worth a look. Regards. Helly. :)

Hellyb

Thanks, interesting stuff, I didn't know that we were able to choose the pump, I think I need to make myself fully aware of the NICE guidelines. With what we were having to do before with mutiple injections, 2 for Levemir, every meal time and with snacks as she usually needed to correct, the pump has been a hugh relief and we are getting good results. I will be interested though in finding out exactly what we are entitled to and whether we can, when up and running properly with the pump, improve my daughters sugar control and quality of life, particularly if that involves getting an upto date pump. Thanks for taking the time to reply and I will be doing more research next time and not automatically taking the teams word for things. Eyes open from now on!! Regards Helly

homerj37

Hi Helly
My son has been pumping for 3.5 years. We researched all the pumps on the market and I would have to say the Combo is up there at the top in terms of technology. The remote is fantastic and there is no other pump with complete remote control like this, he loves it. The pump is waterproof too and has something called a 3 minute pulse of the basal insulin. This is important as my son disconnects for sports. I am sure he will be sticking with this pump so please dont feel like you have been sold short, after all the hours of looking at all the pumps i am sure you havn't. Good luck with your daughters pump

homerj37

Hi, My son is able to bolus too from the pump without the handset, he loves the fact it has all the reminders and remote control on it. Why carbsrock you would say it is like a house brick i am not sure!!

Looking back at all your previous bloggs you have very strong views about other pumps other than you own, I wonder why this is!

ruralweb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My daughter also uses the combo after switching from the medtronic cgm veo and I have to say that the combo remote is actually smaller than the by meter supplied with the very latest medtonic system so the comparison to a house brick is way out IMO. The pump is fully functional without the remote as she uses it at school with no remote.

IMO after extensive reading and using another system which is the very latest on the Market I can say that for us the combo is the best all-round system

Reactions: vic hill

iHs

Hi

I agree with the other users of the Combo. It's a good pump and the customer support (pump) is very good as well along with the delivery of consumables. I phoned (0800 no) with a query about using the Multiwave bolus on the pump and had a phone call back within 20mins from a pump dsn stationed at the company who talked me through what to do using the remote. Delivery of pump bits is done by Royal Mail Special Delivery so gets delivered the next day.

The remote is about 3.5" x 2" so not big. It will fit fairly ok in a Contour meter case with a bit of cutting of the screen protector instead of using the case supplied by Accu Chek or if anyone's got a OneTouch Vita, it fits really well in that case too. I keep the pump inside my bra cup and got hold of some cheap (carboot sale :mrgreen: ) velcro flap mobile phone pouches so I don't really know that the pump is in my boob.

If anyone is wondering what this pump is about, have a quick look at http://www.accu-chek.co.uk/microsites/CAT/index.html and you'll be able to use the online tutorial :)

hazey276

Help, i've looked at the NICE guidelines but can't find anywhere the list with costs :oops: :oops: , anyone help :roll: ?????

qwertz0815

Hi Pablomotte!

You'll find the information here: http://nhscep.useconnect.co.uk
go to "services and products" "Buyer's guides" and search for "insulin pump".
The document is from 2008 and therefore outdated, though.

Newer comparisons may be found here:
http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes-technology/insulin-pumps/current-pumps/pump-comparison
http://www.diabeteswellbeing.com/insulin-pumps.html
http://www.integrateddiabetes.com/pumpcomp/pump_comparison.htm

and if german does it for you, too...:
http://www.pumpencafe.de/media/downloaddata/insulinpumpen_1.pdf

Greetings

offitmassive

Evening all, Ive just been to my 1st insulin pump therapy workshop and have been told with my hba1c being 8.8 and 8.7 the past 12 months and with being able to count carbs and checking bg a good 6 times a day im a good candidate for an insulin pump. currently on lantus 22 units @ 6pm and on a variable ratio during the day with novarapid. It seems im getting a nasty resistance to lantus and went to bed last night with bg level of 10.1, and woke with it 17.3?????? and didnt eat anything after testing. anyway the insulin pump lady has said to go choose a pump and to expect a set up date of jan 2013, but with a few pumps to chose from, im stumped at why 1 would chose a over b.

Im a motor mechanic so a little worried of damaging the pump (a suitable place is needed), worried of hypo's and would like some sort of cgm (but found the sensors cost £50 EACH and last only 6 days.

I currently use an accu check aviva expert (at home) gm kit so very aware of how it works and to keep my script easy i use an accu chek aviva gm kit at work so use the same strips as the expert and same lancets etc. Thing is how does the combo and pump work together? is it a case of test your blood, enter the carbs eaten and it will recommend a bolus amount then click OK? if i choose the combo, can i still manually dial up a bolus amount whilst at work or does the combo come with the pump so i can use my current expert at work and combo at home??????? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Any reviews or users on the animas setup? She gave me a list with animas, accu chek and medtronic. ANy recommendations are gratefully received.

Sean

jodysd6

I have just switched to the accu-chek from medtronic. the combo is similar to the expert so if you like that then you would probably get on well with the accu chek. with the pump you would use the meter the same but when you get to where it gives the advice for how much insulin to inject you just press a button and the pump delivers it. you could however keep your expert meter at work and then when it advises an amount you could manually enter that amount into the pump for the pump to deliver, if that makes sense!

teen-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
from my experiences ask your doctors which pumps your hospital covers, I only had the choice of 2 and ultimately it was decided for me as I have a 'second-hand' pump from a girl who tried it for a few months but hated it, as I don't quite fit the NICE guidelines as my numbers are well-controlled anyway and my area is quite poor

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can check with any monitor and set bolus on accu chek spirit pump, however the pump will come with its own expert. This is the one that uses blue tooth to talk to the pump. I tend only to use the combo, but have an old gm in my car and upstairs just to do the odd check when I need to. I love my combo but there again have only had experience with that type of pump so would probably like any of them. My choice was that or nothing as that was all the hospital did at the time.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been busy trawling through the mass of NHS sites to find some clear info on what pumps are available. I know this question has been asked, and answered before, but I wanted to see some definitive info.

On my travels I came across the Centre for Evidence-based Purchasing (CEP), which is the department of the NHS which publishes recommendations on the use of medical devices. They have produced 'buyers guides' for a number of devices, including insulin pumps.

The guide covers all the aspects of choosing a pump, and also includes ratings based on the opinions of diabetics using the devices. I have provided a direct link to the guide as I feel it would be invaluable to anyone deciding on what they need from a pump.

This is publicly available information, so I hope that there is no issue with posting it here.

http://www.pasa.nhs.uk/pasa/Doc.aspx?Pa ... P08004.pdf
My advice would be ask your diabetic team what pumps you can get in Their budget, then think about what you need from a pump. I have my life pump it's wire free and can go in water I try to swim a lot so for me it being in heavy not very noticeable and functional works well. Hope it helps

Reactions: Smammer