Levothyroxine and Type 1 - what's your experience?

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just started levothyroxine 25mg per day. Some of my BG trends have been a little unusual... like I've had a steeper climb after a meal than I'm used to seeing, and a sharper drop sometimes after exercise, too.

I don't know if these are in any way related to the thyroid medication (or if it's just the wind direction!), but I was just wondering what changes other fellow T1's have encountered after starting on them?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just started levothyroxine 25mg per day. Some of my BG trends have been a little unusual... like I've had a steeper climb after a meal than I'm used to seeing, and a sharper drop sometimes after exercise, too.

I don't know if these are in any way related to the thyroid medication (or if it's just the wind direction!), but I was just wondering what changes other fellow T1's have encountered after starting on them?

I'm not T1, so can't comment on that, but when you say just started on Levo. How long ago was that?

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not T1, so can't comment on that, but when you say just started on Levo. How long ago was that?
Since last Wednesday. I know it takes 6-8 weeks before repeating blood tests, but since I've had some interesting BG events, I wondered if there might be a connection...

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I first started on levothyroxine I remember feeling that I’d had a shot of new found energy.
Can’t say I noticed a change in BS readings , but this was pre CGM era.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since last Wednesday. I know it takes 6-8 weeks before repeating blood tests, but since I've had some interesting BG events, I wondered if there might be a connection...

Like @therower , when I started it felt like I had so much energy, but after a short while that feeling faded away. Each time I was titrated up I had the same feelings.

Levothyroxine works on a therapeutic dose, rather then a per does basis, so it's very early days for you.

Is your thyroid disease auto-immune?

When I started on my journey with a wonky thyroid, I joined the HealthUnlocked Thyroid UK forum. In my view, it's a great place for information and support.

https://healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, I don't think so. The GP who's put me on the drug says he thinks it's probably subclinical hypothyroidism, induced by the ketogenic diet.

Have you been tested for antibodies? Some don't bother, but already having one AI condition should, in my view anyway, been a flag for testing.

Like so many things, there are interestingly opposing views of low carb eating and thyroid health. The Endo I see doesn't consider it an issue (thankfully).

They've started you on a very low dose. I take it you'll be retested in 6-8 weeks and see how you go?