Travel insurance

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did try to search this on the forum but there's nothing recent that I see.

Going to Spain in February and trying to get travel insurance. Moneysupermarket and compare the market both say they cant offer me cover with my declared type 1 diabetes.

Are there any diabetic specific sites i can try? I will be on a pump at that stage but i have separate insurance to cover it.

Thanks

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Going to Spain in February and trying to get travel insurance. Moneysupermarket and compare the market both say they cant offer me cover with my declared type 1 diabetes.

Are there any diabetic specific sites i can try? I will be on a pump at that stage but i have separate insurance to cover it.

Thanks

SJM - diabetes.co.uk has a link with an insurance broker, who is obviously experienced in dealing with those living with diabetes.

I haven't used the firm myself, so can't comment on competitiveness or anything else.

https://travelinsurance.diabetes.co.uk/

Reactions: sjm1308

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Many travel insurance companies are fairly open about diabetes T1 or T2. My wife and I use our bank's included insurance and both companies treat T1/T2 as a no-declare condition i.e. they are not worried by it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last autumn I took out an annual policy with Staysure insurance, I have type 2 and a few other medical conditions but their quote was reasonable. Might be worth trying them for a quote too:
https://www.staysure.co.uk/

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Just for the record I have used Staysure but have had even better quotes from Allclear.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, if you go onto one of the 'compare' sites, it allows you to declare your condition(s) and then gives you a list of Insurance companies that will cover you and a star rating for each. You will see Companies you've never heard of (cheaper) and those you are familiar with (more expensive) but definitely affordable and not that much more than normal insurance, I found. x

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I use either Staysure or Insureandgo.

abek

hi i was wondering if anyone knows about the cost of private health care in the uk and how much would it cost with diabetes type 1 and what would it cover thank you

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Many travel insurance companies are fairly open about diabetes T1 or T2. My wife and I use our bank's included insurance and both companies treat T1/T2 as a no-declare condition i.e. they are not worried by it.
Hi, I wonder if you need to clarify this with them. My bank one is useless for me as a type 2, if declared condition then they would charge a massive amount to be covered for it. By not including it then fairly certain that any claim would be attributed to the diabetes and not covered.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I wonder if you need to clarify this with them. My bank one is useless for me as a type 2, if declared condition then they would charge a massive amount to be covered for it. By not including it then fairly certain that any claim would be attributed to the diabetes and not covered.

Travel insurance is often easy to come by, for full cover, because they're covering brief periods - sometimes a few days, or weeks, and less usually loner periods. The risk of a disaster befalling in the 2 weeks of a holiday are pretty low, unless there's something undisclosed.

Shimmy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks

I am over 75 so this compounds the issue, I was with Leisure Guard and they were very reasonable. The price went following my 75th Birthday. I now use FlexPlus from Nationwide Building Society. They charge £13 per month but this gives Worldwide cover for my Wife and myself and also covers Car Breakdown and Mobile Phones. I had to pay an extra £60 because of my age. I am Type 2, tablet controlled. Hope this helps