What do you wish someone had told you when you were first diagnosed?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anything, as far as I can recall absolutely nothing was said to me apart from "have Breakfast" and "keep your readings between 5 and 10" I was given Insulin. (gave that up after two weeks) The more I think about it the more I realise how completely inept the hospital was. Quite annoyed now I have read so much. grrr.
Oh and have "toast" for breakfast.
Rant over...

Welcome to the Brotherhood, Fellow Ranter...:bag:

A little known side effect of T2D Diagnosis, So recent Research suggests......:D

.(delivery of it, obviously..;) )

Reactions: AloeSvea and ByeBye

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish the consultant told me about carb counting rather than tak 6 units of insulin before every meal.... Would have save me a lot ov very severe hypos and anxiety.... Especially following a chicken salad!!!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
"what do you wish someone like a diabetes mentor told you when you were first diagnosed."

I was told nothing except "you can't believe everything you read on the internet". I probably didn't need that advice, even in 1997 I was aware of the fact that you can put pretty much what you like on the internet, and that meant I had to be careful in what I believed.

Sorry, I forgot, dietary advice, which was eat sensibly, which was loads of carbs. Bad advice.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well if we are talking actual diagnosis when a doctor says yes you are diabetic and puts you on the register.

I was told "I'm sorry John we seem to have missed the boat on this one" then well you knew you were any way so why be upset then take this prescription for Metformin and as you have been treating yourself for a while now just carry on.

Which I did.

Reactions: Tophat1900

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
I wish someone has told my father to limit his carb when he was first diagnosed with pre diabetes and used a meter to monitor carefully.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have to admit that luckily I found this site pretty soon after diagnosis so I got told all the right things.

But I still wish my doctor had told me to get a meter or better yet prescribed one for me instead of trotting out the old mantra T2s don't need to test.

Even though I am drug induced so not really T2 in the normal sense.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wish someone had explained that the insulin response is more important than the blood glucose level. As well as all the preceding posts!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please respect the OP and stick to providing comments that address the question in the opening post. Discussions between individuals on other topics should be taken to PM or a new thread to avoid derailing this one.

Reactions: jjraak

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope it is ok to tell what I wish I hadn’t been told? By the GP nurse.

That would be:
  • You must eat carbs with every meal, 3 times a day plus two snacks
  • Low fat yogurts and plenty of fruit should be part of your diet
  • T2 is a progressive disease... You will probably need insulin in time, but don’t worry. We will look after you.
  • You don’t need to test your blood glucose levels. It only makes you anxious.
By following the above advice for first 6 years after diagnosis, I became fatter, and HbA1c levels continued to rise. It was only after I did my own research, and ‘owned’ the situation that I realized what absolute tosh I had been given, and got control by first of all using Very Low Calorie diet, followed by Low Carbing, and using a blood glucose monitor.

Reactions: DJC3

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Please respect the OP and stick to providing comments that address the question in the opening post. Discussions between individuals on other topics should be taken to PM or a new thread to avoid derailing this one.
What's the Prime Minister got to do with it?

Bobe123

So, I posted a couple of days ago about questions and y'all were so lovely and welcoming. (Although, I do owe an apology for using a curse word out of frustration ... I am so sorry if I offended anyone. :( )

I sometimes feel very alone in this new diagnosis. As I mentioned before, I received the diagnosis without a single bit of advice about what to do with this information. I spent a whole lot of time research and googling until my fingers bled, but while I got a lot a of good information-what I didn't get is a lot of "you got this" kind of information. It makes me sometimes feel like I have a lifetime left of being broken and struggling to get it right.

What I realized I needed, I think, to help with the super anxiety I am feeling is that stuff a "mentor" would share. So I am here, with my figurative hat in hand asking for that "you got this" in the form of the question "what do you wish someone like a diabetes mentor told you when you were first diagnosed."

(By the way, I am type 2 on metformin and was diagnosed in the beginning of October so shiny new at this)

Thank you for what ever advice you want to share,

lala
You mention, received diagnosis without a single bit of advice about what to do. This seems very familiar. I was called by the doctors to come straight away. When I got there the receptionist said I would have to make an appointment for later that day. I was quite blunt, you called me, so here I am fit me in, they did. Called in to doctors room, sat down and she proceeded to tell me you have diabetes, we think type 2. Here is prescription and a web site you can find out all you need to know. A short intake of breath and I came out looking at my wife and said is that it? So I fully understand your plight. Keep your chin up, the people on this forum are so kind and do help.

Reactions: DJC3

Bobe123

Advise i wish they could say in that 10 minute window IF they were allowed to be honest...?

Your on your OWN...Suck it up, butter cup

Go google stuff,,i i'm so sorry but i just don't have time for YOU

and if ANYONE ever say's you don't need to test.
Run a mile cos they is talking utter BS

what i'd say back...

walk in my shoes (ours) THEN tell me NOT to test...

No/, you would't do that or tell YOUR family not to do that IF they were affected would you....?
really why am i not surprised, yet you tell US it's too 'stressful'

i'll tell you whats stressful, worried to eat ANYTHING, because it might add to complications

YET the very fact we don't eat well adds to other issues...:rolleyes::woot:

*** TELL us to test.
in fact make it OFFICIAL POLICY...to tell us to test.
i'd like to see people struck for this BS statement.

It is pure and simple neglect,,doesn't that oath mean anything or is just all about the dollar ?

we, US who are aware, savvy and want to look after ourselves save YOU the medical profession in the UK
an absolute FORTUNE.

we need less treatment... we self fund ...we are pro active and in many case , we interact with others to bring them into the fold,

Meanwhile YOUR sad, outdated advice leads far too many to the operating table...."

Is what i would say given the chance they MIGHT just listen...

ok climbing down off the podium, rant over.

move along nothing to see.
just move along...:bag:
Sounds very familiar

Reactions: jjraak

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish someone had told me they were sorry for not telling me I had been diagnosed with fatty liver years before. If I had known I could have done something about it and may not have progressed to T2.

I was already cutting out the major carbs when I was diagnosed so I ignored the advice in the booklet for newly diagnosed T2s to have carbs with every meal and to ask for an extra bread roll on a flight. I mentioned this on another thread a while back and was told that this was advice for insulin users only. I found the booklet the other day, it said nothing about being for insulin users only and was for all newly diagnosed T2s. :rolleyes::facepalm:

Reactions: ianf0ster

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I wish that I had been told that drastically lowering carbs would be the #1 thing to do, being the most logical, considering my disease.

I wish that I had been given a brochure that succinctly described the different kinds of diabetes, and the current state and actual knowledge from medicine and science about all the kinds of diabetes.

I wish that I had been given the wonderful '50 Shades of Diabetes' graph BEFORE I spent a couple years without it trying to make sense of the different measurements whilst reading up on diabetes.

I wish that I had been told with an apology from the supposed experts in the field, "Gee, Aloe, the world of science and medicine has known about the role of insulin since the early 1900s - we sure are sorry we didn't connect the dots regarding too much insulin and insulin resistance and tell you in time, as in - decades ago when you were diagnosed with PCOS - before you developed T2D - which would have been completely preventable! Sure sorry about that - Oops! Our bad." (Plus "But we are making sure your GPs and you know everything about it now - here is the brochure explaining it...." :).)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish I’d been told when given a diagnosis of prediabetes, that there WAS something I could do about it. When I asked my GP he just said ‘live a healthy lifestyle but you’ll probably end up with it anyway, most people do’ so I did live a ‘healthy’ lifestyle - lots of whole grains and low fat food, and lo and behold I developed diabetes. I wish I’d found this site back then.

Reactions: AloeSvea