What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
78821964_2416584955322156_4949649165224247296_n.jpg

Reactions: karen8967 and DJC3

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coffee, tea and CAKES
How bloody frustrating Debs it happens time after time...lets hope some take you up on the offer of a talk to their patients...yes the fur babies are sweet active little things settling into their room...I plan to let them out gradually over the next couple of days into the rest of the house...and of course to meet 'Plumpy'.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

was 4.8 yesterday and 4.7 today

been dilatory in posting the last few days for some reason :sorry:

Today we went over to mum's to put up some more decorations and lights for her.

We had to change some of her decorations to allow for Katy, who will chew anything (me included :D and those baby puppy teeth are sharp!). Katy doesn't know she's a small dog, she believes she's a fearsome beast ;) and her latest trick is dragging the hearth rug corner over so that she can get to the anti slip mat underneath to wrestle with. I tried to catch her at it with the camera but all I got was an apricot blur with a tornado for a tail :hilarious:

Off to catch up reading the thread now.

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher thank you for the tip. I have been wondering what to do with the heavy quarters and pennies that have been weighing down my wallet -- you have given me a very good idea, and my winter jacket has plenty of pockets I can zip and unzip at need. :)

FBG 7.8 for me on this rainy morning.

Out there

View attachment 37122

In here

View attachment 37123

Brilliant raindrops!
And I espy an eye in the second one!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How bloody frustrating Debs it happens time after time...lets hope some take you up on the offer of a talk to their patients...yes the fur babies are sweet active little things settling into their room...I plan to let them out gradually over the next couple of days into the rest of the house...and of course to meet 'Plumpy'.
I followed my comments up with an email:

Just a quick email to say thank you for today. It was very enjoyable. I especially loved hearing the children sing. Goosebumps. Next generation.

Thank you for putting on refreshments however i was extremely disappointed to see a table completely filled with all sorts of cakes. This makes me so sad. I'm a type 2 diabetic and could not have had anything from the table due to it causing severe spikes with my blood sugars (it's the spikes that cause the complications so I'm keen to avoid). We have obesity and diabetes epidemics. I am giving talks all over the North West of how we can control blood sugars and reverse diabetes and I would love to be able to say how the CCGs from Blackpool Fylde and Wyre are proactive in their approach.

Some ideas for a healthier table:

Cheese selection
Olives
Fruit
Slices of ham/salami
Celery/carrots and dips
Small pots of Greek yoghurt
Strawberries and cream
Small bars of 85% chocolate (Aldi I find best value and really lovely)

I hope you see this as constructive criticism.

If I say nothing nothing will change.

Thanks again for the lovely event you put on.

Debra Scott

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for putting on refreshments however i was extremely disappointed to see a table completely filled with all sorts of cakes. This makes me so sad. I'm a type 2 diabetic and could not have had anything from the table due to it causing severe spikes with my blood sugars (it's the spikes that cause the complications so I'm keen to avoid).
Frustrating! I have spent the last 4 days hanging around in a large West Midlands Hospital, killing time people watching in two cafes, waiting areas and corridors by vending machines. The only food suitable for me to eat at any cafe was a gammon ham salad and only one of them, when that had gone that was it, but it did not look appetising.

For something to do I have sat and analysed the eating habits of visitors, nurses, doctors and admin staff, is this something us LCHF diet Type 2s do? I watched Cakes, white bread toasties, pasties, pies, disappear in alarming quantities, whilst the prepared salads do not get purchased and other than the gammon salad all the others involved pasta, cuscus, rice or potatoes.

Then hopefully without being judgmental, remember I was over 100 Kilo a few months back and would have eat such things, I started looking at the weight of people. Over 80% of female nursing staff would be obese and more than 50% of these grossly obese, male staff figured better. Male visitors were about 50% obese and whilst there were more obese female visitors they were less obese than nursing staff.
You can see I have been extremely bored and yes this was not a very scientific study, purely observation, but it is certainly food for thought, pardon the pun, could there be a relationship between the food available in the hospital cafes and the shape of hospital staff?

I shall send an email pointing out the lack of suitable food available for Type 2s on a LCHF diet at this hospital, it will be polite but to the point.

On the MIL front it's a nightmare, she was 93 Tuesday. A scan shows MIL has a bleed on the brain probably from a fall she had two weeks back when Paramedics came and treated her at home. Sadly she's been unresponsive since Saturday and palliative care was offered as from yesterday, with MILs sever Alzheimer's and the unknown effects of the brain bleed this seems the kindest course of action. Today she is back on a glucose and saline drip, still unresponsive but much stronger. Consultant says she will not be put on palliative care until they assess her on Thursday. This is where it gets difficult and worrying, we want the best outcome for MIL and understand the consultants Duty of Care but in our minds rightly or wrongly questions are formed.

A. Would it be kinder for an old lady already living a confused and often unhappy life, who if she recovers will have an unknown mental health and physical state be allowed to go and meet he maker with dignity and peacefulness.
Or
B. Should all the medical help available be given to bring her back to responsiveness which will undoubtably leave her in a much worse mental state and the need for moving into a nursing home out of the comfort of her own bungalow where she lived before hospitalisation?

As a society we are still not very good with this end of life stuff and many families go through this turmoil day after day, no easy answers.

Reactions: DJC3

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For something to do I have sat and analysed the eating habits of visitors, nurses, doctors and admin staff, is this something us LCHF diet Type 2s do? I watched Cakes, white bread toasties, pasties, pies, disappear in alarming quantities, whilst the prepared salads do not get purchased and other than the gammon salad all the others involved pasta, cuscus, rice or potatoes.

Yes it is what us Type 2's do. Especially in hospitals we analyse the eating habits of others. I do.

I am literally going OMG OMG, and actually feeling ill watching all those carbs being consumed. As you say the cafe area is not much better in the food that is served (at least not where I have been in hospitals). A predominance of white bread, pasties, pies, and sweet stuff etc. And a cabinet of the worst sugary soft drinks (despite a notice on the counter saying something about sugar in these drinks being bad for you.) Absolutely nothing for a diabetic.
Nothing that I can massacre to get the suitable bits out that I can eat. There is not enough filling in a sandwich just to take that out.

I do always carry nuts, pork scratchings, bar 100% dark chocolate in my backpack, and a babybel or two on the day if I remember to grab them from the fridge as I am going out. And a bottle of water.

I am analysing the eating habits of all, patient's waiting eating their crisps and packs of sandwiches, and including the nurses with their packed lunches in their clear containers of so called 'healthy' food as they are going for their food break.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is where it gets difficult and worrying, we want the best outcome for MIL and understand the consultants Duty of Care but in our minds rightly or wrongly questions are formed.

I also had many questions, as you say rightly or wrongly (which is the politest way that can be phrased) when someone very close to me was in hospital. I never left their room, never left them unattended in their last 6 days. (there was a toilet in the room, and the tea and coffee station was directly outside and the nurses bought me toast in the morning, and they provided me a fold down bed, and I did do a lot of the nurses tasks, the nurses were very kind to him and to me.)

I did leave their room once to talk with the sister in her room , and that nearly killed me mentally to do that. The person was conscious most of the time and was coherent, but then dropped in and out of consciousness. But I did need to challenge and question some stuff in the beginning about their withdrawing medical help. The sister was giving hospital reasons, and I was giving mine. I was very vocal about it. This was more than 20 years ago.

There is no right or wrong answer. You are caught in an emotive situation. It is impossible to weigh up rights and wrongs, best or not best course of action.

All you can do is weigh up what the person wants/might want. If they haven't given you a clear indication of what they want.

For me myself, my instructions are don't resusicate and no procedures to prolong life, just leave me to go. BUT when the time comes something changes and you and others fight for every scrap of life you can get.

Hugs for you in this difficult horrible time. My thoughts and prayers and tears are for you and everyone. You have to believe whatever course of action you decide to take is right, because you will have done a lot of soul searching and questions.

Peace be with you x

As a society we are still not very good with this end of life stuff and many families go through this turmoil day after day, no easy answers

Last edited:

trick60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning/evening folks, a 6.6 on the dice at this ungodly hour, wasn't happy, had another stab...7.7, so 6.6 it is then.

@Muddy Cyclist , it is a dilemma when there is no quality of life it would be the easiest solution to let them drift off in a haze of morphine, you are right in as much we are not very good with the end of life stuff, is letting a loved one slip away a blessing or a crime, the law would probably see it as a crime where most of us who live with the day to day of it all, and see how there is no joy just prolonged pain would see it as a blessing. The doctors are most likely seeing this on a daily basis and must be aware of the stresses it causes and are probably aware too of ambulance chasing law firms, I was there with my father when he passed, and it was a blessing. He went quietly, no more pain no more confusion, the nurses and doctors were very supportive and professional in a way, they must have seen this scenario a thousand times, so we can only leave it in their hands, all the best MC I shall be thinking of your troubles today and hoping there's some answer to it all for you.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 5.2 at early o’clock. @Muddy Cyclist I really feel for you all and the dilemma you face. Maybe it will become clearer over the next couple of days. I firmly believe we all have a time and though its hard to let go sometimes it is the kindest option. Best wishes. I am not surprised about the hospital food. Sometimes you can go to the staff canteen and access hot or cold pick and mix which is slightly better. I think the first thing many reach for instinctively is a sandwich but so called meal deals often add in a soft drink and a packet of crisps which is Carb City.
I am off out for the day collecting an elderly friend from her son’s and delivering her home. Dont like driving in an area outside my comfort zone so will be glad to be back.
Hope you all have a good Wednesday. Stay /get well. Stay safe.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Muddy Cyclist hugs for you in this difficult time. If ever any business needed a food court with commercial vendors, it is a hospital. At least then there would be familiar food items and ideally some standards of quality.
Sending you energy because I know from experience how exhausting times like this can be.

Reactions: trick60 and jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning All. 5.2 at early o’clock.
I am off out for the day collecting an elderly friend from her son’s and delivering her home. Dont like driving in an area outside my comfort zone so will be glad to be back.
Hope you all have a good Wednesday. Stay /get well. Stay safe.

Take care @PenguinMum
Safe driving.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
5.3 have just been reading about the possibility of metforming causing cancer any oen else read this on the internet?

Reactions: karen8967

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.8 today. A good day yesterday - apart from the rain.

Got a chance in the afternoon to relax on the sofa with a coffee in the pub across the road to where I work as a client had cancelled. There was a fault on an underground line and she had no electricity since Sunday and the generator had just broken down. Not good with weather this cold.

When I was standing at the bar I heard a member of staff say - the coffee lady is waiting at the bar to be served. That made me smile - I am definitely the coffee lady. Just off to make myself another Nespresso.